DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

My god playing Nitro for Playstation after all the anticipation was just crushing.  Such a terrible game.  I think it was after that that I paid some sketchy strip mall game store in Annandale $100 to mod my PSX so I could get the New Japan game instead.  Money well spent.

For real though. It looked INCREDIBLE in the magazines and then it was just a shitty, SHITTY fighting game. At least the taunt videos in the select-a-wrestler menu provided some comfort.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

For real though. It looked INCREDIBLE in the magazines and then it was just a shitty, SHITTY fighting game. At least the taunt videos in the select-a-wrestler menu provided some comfort.

BUTTON COMBOS TO PULL OFF A MOVE.  Fuuuuuuuckkkkk yoooouuuuuuuuu.  This and the Akklaim WWF games from that generation, just awful shit that was, I guess, made by fighting game people. Why the holy fuck would I want to face my standing opponent and hit triangletriangletriangleupdown to hit a Texas Cloverleaf???

On a side note, somewhat related...I'd played NJPW 2 and 3 and was so psyched when I heard that the same company (Yuke's) was developing the first Smackdown game for PSX.  Then it dropped with a dumbed-down control scheme and was just much more simplistic in general and I was just like what the everloving fuck?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, Nitro can piss off with their unnecessarily complicated control scheme.  It had such potential with the huge roster and arenas and the only way I could enjoy the game was when playing with a friend.   I still remember when I first saw the roster for WCW vs the World and can't believe who was all in it.  That game alone makes me want to hook up the PS2 so I can play though I am almost considering other options since I need to dig everything up again.  I did like World Tour for 64 even if the selection of "fictional" wrestlers was pared down considerably.  But it was still really fun and man was Revenge just wonderful to play.

• Like 2

I absolutely loved those fictional arenas in the WCW games. In WWE2K17 or 18 I found myself with a ton of random free time, so I did a territory system in my universe mode with WCW, NWO, DOA, EWF and Independent Union and had a ton of fun making it. I wanted to do one based off Power Move Pro Wrestling but never got around to it. THAT was a super underrated game, and the gimmicks were pro wrestling as hell. 

• Like 3

My favorite PS1 games (aside from FF7) were WCW vs the World and Toukon Retsuden 3. I loved all the fictional characters and didn't realize they were a 1 to 1 with Japanese guys right away. Their Vader was a sailor with a buzzcut named The Turk or something, I used him the most. TR3 had a very primitive CAW which I wore out. I'm pretty sure all you could do was color swap the existing guys but I made it work. Had to grey market jail break my PS1 to play it too.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

My favorite PS1 games (aside from FF7) were WCW vs the World and Toukon Retsuden 3. I loved all the fictional characters and didn't realize they were a 1 to 1 with Japanese guys right away. Their Vader was a sailor with a buzzcut named The Turk or something, I used him the most. TR3 had a very primitive CAW which I wore out. I'm pretty sure all you could do was color swap the existing guys but I made it work. Had to grey market jail break my PS1 to play it too.

I think TR2 had the color swap CAW system.  TR3 definitely was more fully featured.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I absolutely loved those fictional arenas in the WCW games. In WWE2K17 or 18 I found myself with a ton of random free time, so I did a territory system in my universe mode with WCW, NWO, DOA, EWF and Independent Union and had a ton of fun making it. I wanted to do one based off Power Move Pro Wrestling but never got around to it. THAT was a super underrated game, and the gimmicks were pro wrestling as hell. 

AREA FIFTAY WAAAAN! All those Toukon Retsuden clones were fun. Loved the shit out of that game.

As bad as the Acclaim games were, I still loved them because of the rosters, moves, and options. And Attitude even had a season mode. It sucked but I was like 17 14 at the time. It didn't matter much.

edit: Just saw a clip of TR3 and it had the Steiner double team bulldog. That is phenomenal. I got the TR game for N64 after getting my first job mostly just for the manual with the artwork that NJPW featured with the sweet cartoony takes on their roster. 

Shin Nippon Pro Wrestling: Toukon Road - Brave Spirits Box Shot ...

Love it to bits.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Thanks 1

I remember seeing a trailer for All Star Pro-Wrestling and thinking it was the pinnacle of graphics and was pretty much real life. Here I am in 2020 and the only wrestling games I'm currently playing are Fire Pro World and TEW. Graphics mean nothing (though I really did dig ASPW - it was like a spiritual successor to TR in that they are really wooden but have lots of wonderful individualized moves and countermoves). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Virtual Pro-Wrestling 2 is better than all those games.

I played it for a short time through another method but since I have the 64 hooked up again I'm set to buying it.  Of course depending on where I get it from it could take awhile.  But I'm looking forward to it.  I didn't play it long enough to see if I liked it better than the American games but for the short time I played I sure had a lot of fun.

VPW 2 I would say, to this day, is the best game at recreating junior heavyweight high flying wrestling matches. Fire Pro does some elements well, but dives are a pain in the ass to hit generally. The 2K games are a fucking nightmare to hit dives and generally speaking are pretty sluggish. VPW is smooth, bb. Nothing like a great VPW2 jr. heavy tag match with Sasuke and company.

• Like 3

Guest Edwin

The 2.99 kickouts on VPW are fantastic, too.

I know someone did a VPW MMA mod. which had RINGS, Pancrase, PRIDE, etc., but that's forever gone.

I never got the hype for any of the Fire Pro-Wrestling games. They seemed too basic for my taste.

The last wrestling game I enjoyed was SmackDown Here Comes the Pain. I remember I had some sweet CAWs -- namely Tiger Mask, Dynamite Kid, Kawada, Misawa, Kobashi, Liger and Fujinami.

Guest Edwin

I know he's not generally loved by everyone, but I'm a big fan of Daisuke Sekimoto. He's a much better Manabu Nakanishi than Manabu Nakanishi.

Fire Pro is incredibly deep, but I do love VPW 2. I played around with the MMA matches in VPW 2 a ton. Now I'm tempted to re-hook up my N64 and play some of it tonight, but I'm pretty sure I threw away my translation guide from Gamefaqs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Contractual mention of ? Giant Gram 2000

I think I’d like it better if I had a fight pad, and there was an easy way to play it online. Single player is fine, but you can’t fuck with the system enough to make it as close to a sim as possible.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs