DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

8 hours ago, Sublime said:

I believe he used it against the great power uti 

Note: Whenever we get around to the comedy/bad wrestling week of Secret Santo, somebody should dig up a Power Uti match.

Also, that picture of Cena pointing along with the headline made me think of him going in front of a crowd and Oprah style saying "You've got cancer, and you've got cancer! YOU'VE ALL GOT NEW CANCER!"

Edited by Curt McGirt

Sped-read JR's new book and...I just don't know. I mean, his two books haven't really talked about ANYTHING. I would hope they would be more a "front row seat at wrestling history" and instead it's more random, not particularly amusing anecdotes. 

The new book is very painful. It's just a litany of the myriad of humiliations he faced from the company and how he kept coming back for more (i.e. the money). You get some interesting stuff about Austin's last run, and there's a very cool part about him drinking with Shawn and Taker behind the arena after HBK's retirement match. I know everyone is pretty protective about Shawn's rep these days and certainly there's nothing alarming about a story about him having some social drinks ten years ago but that was interesting. 

You also get a "that's good shit, pal" quote from Vince regarding some dumbass angle.

It's definitely very negative towards WWE but JR is so schizo with that stuff like a lot of lifers are. Like, I kind of wish he would have just gone just scorched Earth on the company but he still has that loyal soldier mentality.  The love/hate relationship these dudes have with Vince is really unhealthy. There's also so much about his wife and the grief she got from the humiliations he faced and the time he lost with her due to his job that is just so awful. JR just comes across like such a sad guy who kind of wasted his life in a scummy industry and had weird hero worship/father issues to a bunch of really terrible people like Cowboy and McMahon.  

On another note:

just watched Hogan/Flair from the Garden in '91 and...it's uh really good. Not as good as their WCW '94 series but really fun formula stuff from the two. Hogan kind of had a sneaky good 91 with him carrying Sarge too. I get the business issues but a Mania match with Brain on commentary and Perfect bumping around during a Hogan/Flair match would have been fun.

• Like 7

I've been watching a lot of Nitro, Thunder, and late-stage Saturday Night lately, so forgive me for being so WCW-focused lately, but I have to say that of all the dumb ideas that Vince Russo had for duplicating the stuff that worked in WWF in WCW, Madusa and Asya being twin misfires at recreating what made Chyna so over is second only to Who-ven-tood doing his shitty Rock impersonation and somehow making commentary even worse than it already was at that point.

Asya had the muscular look, Madusa had the "women doin' it for themselves" Cruiserweight title run, but it all just pales so badly next to anything that Chyna ever did in WWF. Watching Madusa try to cut a good promo in early 2000 really makes it clear how fucking charismatic Chyna actually was. 

Just to double-check, I watched some Chyna stuff from 2000-2001, like the stuff with Eddie Guerrero, and sure enough, she's great. She and Eddie had fantastic chemistry, too. 

That Good Housekeeping match is also low-key both Jeff Jarrett and Chyna's best match, IMO. I don't care if smoke and mirrors are involved to improve it; it's really, really, REALLY fun. 

8 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Are the old Coliseum videos still on the Network? I know the re-design is unwieldy so don't know if I'm missing them or if they got pulled. 

Last I saw they still are though on the smart TV it was listed under Originals.

• Like 2

Lucky for the headline writer that I was too distracted by Cena's ridiculous hair plugs to notice the poor wording of the headline itself. 

A buddy shared a blurb from PWInsider with Mike Johnson saying that Brendan Vink is Vince's next big project. I don't see it yet...dude looks bland af in everything I've seen of him thus far. Will be interesting to see if he flashes some of whatever VKM thinks he has in the coming weeks.

Guest Edwin

Teddy Hart has a podcast.

20 minutes into the first episode and he's already talked about flying cars, going on a submarine and flying a blimp.

Edited by Edwin

He's already out of jail for that strangulation DV beef? Fucking dude falls into shit and comes up smelling sweet without fail. Gives me the impression that even if he goes down for that girlfriend of his that disappeared, he'll somehow get off the hook.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Teddy Hart has a podcast.

20 minutes into the first episode and he's already talked about flying cars, going on a submarine and flying a blimp.

This is all admissible as evidence in court.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

A buddy shared a blurb from PWInsider with Mike Johnson saying that Brendan Vink is Vince's next big project. I don't see it yet...dude looks bland af in everything I've seen of him thus far. Will be interesting to see if he flashes some of whatever VKM thinks he has in the coming weeks.

Hopefully they let him show his personality more.  His Twitter stuff is pretty decent:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

The one thing I’ll say for him in that regard is how much personality did John Cena show before they started talking about releasing him? Now I’m not a Cena fan, but I think that turned out fairly well for Vince in the long run. So maybe within the next few months Vink will get to show something since I don’t see that team lasting, and if they like him he’ll get to use MVP for a punching bag.

This may be better suited for Wrestling Classics but I watched the Spiderwoman/Wendi Richter double-cross and was it a big deal at the time or generate any controversy? I was a kid at the time and recall whenever I saw it on a VHS that it was just a weird fucked up finish or something. WWF wasn't really known for smooth wrestling afterall.

Watching it now - that shit is kinda bonkers. 

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

This may be better suited for Wrestling Classics but I watched the Spiderwoman/Wendi Richter double-cross and was it a big deal at the time or generate any controversy? I was a kid at the time and recall whenever I saw it on a VHS that it was just a weird fucked up finish or something. WWF wasn't really known for smooth wrestling afterall.

Watching it now - that shit is kinda bonkers. 

It was on an MSG house show, so it wasn't like a ton of people saw it (though it did air on Prime Time Wrestling.)  Considering that was Wendi's last WWF match, and talent no longer existed once they left, it was pretty much a "Moolah won the title back" and they moved on.  The bonkers shit is that the match showed up on a Coliseum Video.  The whole thing, including Wendi trying to keep going and do the planned finish. And Gorilla's outrage:  "What was THAT?  The ref made a THREE COUNT?"