DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

2 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Luke Gallows is trying to trademark the name "Sex Ferguson".  I thought that was his name in Southpaw, but his Southpaw name was "Tex Ferguson".  Now I'm confused which name he used in the indys.

Knowing Vince's type of humor, Luke should've pitched Turd Ferguson at some point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

The segment where Vince came out to bury his own product or did they do something equally horrid  on the 5/1 show?

Caught part of the Vince segment on Youtube.  I feel like Vince standing in a darkened, empty arena mocking his own show during a time when virtually every other form of live entertainment has been forced to shut down is one of those images that is going to live on for a long time.  When the eventual Rise and Fall of WWE documentary hits the AEW Network  years from now, that clip is going to be up there with the XFL clip of Vince wishing Bob Costas wasn't a little guy so he (Vince) could beat him up.

FTFY

12 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Fell pretty far behind but what are some of the best non-fiction stuff on WWE Network from the last two years or so to slam?

Skimming the General Network Discussion might help you find some stuff

when you say non-fiction do you mean anything or just the documentary type things?

If it is the former - they the Broken Skull Sessions is a good start.

If it is the latter - the R-Truth 24/7, the FCW documentary (though I wasn't as high on that as others). I know there was a Drew McIntyre one around Mania that people said was real good (but I haven't watched that yet)

Random thought: With Jushin Liger retiring four months ago, was he the last Wrestler in the business who had in their career, during a match, received a Public Warning? Because they only existed in British Wrestling, and were pretty much phased out after WoS was cancelled in 1988.

I know German Wrestling for a while had the Yellow Card/ Red Card system, which was similar to public warnings but different. But I think Liger might have been the last, unless Skull Murphy un-retired again or something.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

Random thought: With Jushin Liger retiring four months ago, was he the last Wrestler in the business who had in their career, during a match, received a Public Warning? Because they only existed in British Wrestling, and were pretty much phased out after WoS was cancelled in 1988.

I know German Wrestling for a while had the Yellow Card/ Red Card system, which was similar to public warnings but different. But I think Liger might have been the last, unless Skull Murphy un-retired again or something.

Is there anyone from Pride who is currently an active pro wrestler (remember they would hand out yellow cards for (basically) having a boring fight)?

Are WWE/AEW obligated by the networks to produce a certain amount of original content for their timeslots each week? I don't know what sports channels are like during suspension of games and such, but are they under contract to actually put on shows as opposed to showing some sort of archived or non-in ring material? Obviously AEW doesn't have old stuff to air, but this is a hypothetical).

The alleged reason Vince decided to go live again was the fear that the TV contracts specified a certain number of live shows per year, with only a handful of taped shows allowed. 

dave mention this week that there was pressure put on USA and Fox to be understanding, which is allowing them to now tape biweekly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hagan said:

Fell pretty far behind but what are some of the best non-fiction stuff on WWE Network from the last two years or so to slam?

Highly recommend the new Untold about Triple H and Mick Foley’s feud.

As an aside, I found the HBK v Angle Untold a bit of an odd attempt at revisionism. It was a dream match when it happened for sure but I remember the consensus being it didn’t deliver at the time whereas the talking heads make out like it stole the show. Am I wrong?

8 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Luke Gallows is trying to trademark the name "Sex Ferguson".  I thought that was his name in Southpaw, but his Southpaw name was "Tex Ferguson".  Now I'm confused which name he used in the indys.

Sex Ferguson was a character he did on on podcasts long before the Southpaw derivative 

• Like 1

He has a rich naming history. WWE can't own all of these.

Ring name(s)    Big XLG[4]
Deacon Deville[5]
D.O.C.[6]
Doc Gallows[1]
Dorian Deville[5]
Festus[5]
Festus Dalton[5]
The Freakin' Deacon[5]
Imposter Kane[5]
Isaiah Cash[7]
Johnny 99[8]
Justice Dalton[5]
Keith Hanson[3]
Luke Gallow[9]
Luke Gallows[10]
The Masked Assassin[5]
Super Festus[11]
Tex Ferguson[12]

13 hours ago, Hagan said:

Broken Skull Sessions particularly The Undertaker one.

Chasing the Magic: The Nigel McGuinness Story.

Edge: The Second Mountain.

• Like 1