DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

So I was watching Kayfabe Commentaries Timeline of ECW in 1997 with Sabu. He tells the story of the N2R match with Sandman that was one of the biggest trainwrecks ever. He talks about how Sandman took a couple of hits of acid backstage and was literally tripping in the middle of the ring. He thought he was facing a monster and kept going "Here lizard lizard!". I did recall once hearing Sandman talk about that, but it was actually even more significant than just that one match: one of the reasons the show was far below normal standards was because a bunch of other guys also got messed up on acid that was being passed around backstage. Now knowing that I may need to rewatch that show just to see how many of the guys I can tell are messed up. I remember the show started off fine until the tag title match which featured the 1-2 crowd killing punch of eliminating New Jack and Kronus and then having the FBI retain over Balls and Axl (they were scheduled to win the belts but one of them (think it was Balls) did something really stupid right before the show and as punishment they changed the finish) at which point the crowd pretty much died. The one real highlight was Dreamer vs RVD, which might have been Dreamer's best PPV singles match (and it was a damned good match) with RVD taking the greatest bump from a piledriver in the entire history of pro wrestling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

RiiVZ.gif

I was actually going to ask someone to post the gif of that, good job!

Edited by sabremike
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sabremike said:

So I was watching Kayfabe Commentaries Timeline of ECW in 1997 with Sabu. He tells the story of the N2R match with Sandman that was one of the biggest trainwrecks ever. He talks about how Sandman took a couple of hits of acid backstage and was literally tripping in the middle of the ring. He thought he was facing a monster and kept going "Here lizard lizard!". I did recall once hearing Sandman talk about that, but it was actually even more significant than just that one match: one of the reasons the show was far below normal standards was because a bunch of other guys also got messed up on acid that was being passed around backstage. Now knowing that I may need to rewatch that show just to see how many of the guys I can tell are messed up. I remember the show started off fine until the tag title match which featured the 1-2 crowd killing punch of eliminating New Jack and Kronus and then having the FBI retain over Balls and Axl (they were scheduled to win the belts but one of them (think it was Balls) did something really stupid right before the show and as punishment they changed the finish) at which point the crowd pretty much died. The one real highlight was Dreamer vs RVD, which might have been Dreamer's best PPV singles match (and it was a damned good match) with RVD taking the greatest bump from a piledriver in the entire history of pro wrestling.

Sabu/Sandman at November 2 Remember 1997 is fucking dreadful, one of the worst matches you'll ever see. Thought Bigelow/Douglas went on too long but I haven't watched the show in years. Sabu/Sandman at House Party 1998 is the one to watch though it has it's own infamous reputation, Sabu's jaw gets broken so he tapes it up and finishes the match.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Sabu/Sandman at November 2 Remember 1997 is fucking dreadful, one of the worst matches you'll ever see. Thought Bigelow/Douglas went on too long but I haven't watched the show in years. Sabu/Sandman at House Party 1998 is the one to watch though it has it's own infamous reputation, Sabu's jaw gets broken so he tapes it up and finishes the match.

They actually had lots of good to great matches and that was the only bad one, and it was one of the worst matches of all time. Also of note: the show also featured the famous Al Snow promo spoofing the Vince "Bret screwed Bret" promo with "The Head screwed The Head".

• Like 1

On the subject of Sabu and tape, his no rope barbed wire match against Terry Funk at ECW Born to be Wired 1997 is one of the hardest matches to watch in my years as a wrestling fan. Sabu tears his bicep open doing Air Sabu so Bill Alphonso has to run to the back and get some tape for Sabu to tape it up. The ending sees Sabu and Terry Funk so entangled in barbed wire, they can't get out. Funk''s shoulder is up as Sabu wins the ECW World Heavyweight Championship. I've seen the post match footage when it takes a while to get them free. The VHS release ends shortly after the pin.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "Peyton Royce: Exposed Racist" is the shittiest shit take this month.

Edited by nate
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Edwin
53 minutes ago, nate said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "Peyton Royce: Exposed Rscist" is the shittiest shit take this month.

Eh...

d1zqNes.gif

Yep, that gif is already becoming very useful.  Well done.

Oh, and I love Asuka doing that entrance but wish they had light from underneath to show off her face with the makeup.  Would have been quite a neat visual.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

On the subject of Sabu and tape, his no rope barbed wire match against Terry Funk at ECW Born to be Wired 1997 is one of the hardest matches to watch in my years as a wrestling fan. Sabu tears his bicep open doing Air Sabu so Bill Alphonso has to run to the back and get some tape for Sabu to tape it up. The ending sees Sabu and Terry Funk so entangled in barbed wire, they can't get out. Funk''s shoulder is up as Sabu wins the ECW World Heavyweight Championship. I've seen the post match footage when it takes a while to get them free. The VHS release ends shortly after the pin.

I reviewed that match for Secret Santo last month. The plan was for Funk to win, but they were so tangled, Sabu couldn't see any way to roll Funk on top of him. That's why his title run only lasted one week, he wasn't supposed to have it at all.

• Thanks 1

Is there more to the Peyton Royce story?  I thought the two tweets posted in the April thread were sorta vague?  She referred to "you people" in the second one, but I wasn't sure who or what she was referring to.  I didn't automatically think "racist", for what that's worth.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

No, but I couldn't tell from the tweets if that was a racial reference or something else.  

If you aren't sure if a statement is racially insensitive or not, best to ask a black friend. Generally a person who experiences racism every day can tell fairly accurately if someone is being racist, or if they're just an overenthusiastic fan of rap lyrics*.

* That was a thing on twitter yesterday. A right wing cancel culture guy was searching people's twitters to see if they'd ever used certain words, then trying to out them as a racist. They got Erick Stevens, and probably the same person got Stepstool Sarah too.

50 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Is there more to the Peyton Royce story?  I thought the two tweets posted in the April thread were sorta vague?  She referred to "you people" in the second one, but I wasn't sure who or what she was referring to.  I didn't automatically think "racist", for what that's worth.

Tropic-Thunder-You-People-meme-gif.gif

• Haha 3

She could also be talking about EDM, or Trance, or Dance, or House, or Techno... all that stuff can be classified as "Boom Boom"...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I reviewed that match for Secret Santo last month. The plan was for Funk to win, but they were so tangled, Sabu couldn't see any way to roll Funk on top of him. That's why his title run only lasted one week, he wasn't supposed to have it at all.

I knew Sabu lost the ECW World Heavyweight Championship shortly after winning it at Hardcore Heaven 1997 in a Three Way Dance involving Shane Douglas who won and Terry Funk. I didn't know that Funk was supposed to retain the ECW World Heavyweight Championship in the no rope barbed wire match with Sabu. Cheers, @AxB

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

@BobbyWhioux be sickened when he finds out. Oof.

I appreciate everyone's concern and support during this difficult time.

But I think the record is comically clear that I've always liked Billie better anyway. ?

• Thanks 2