DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

Lance Archer's hair is beautiful and pro wrestling as fuck. It's just another way he stands out or becomes recognizable.

You mean the crimson apehangers he has stapled to his skull?  Yes, I totally love them.

I wish his braids were long enough for him to choke someone with them.  

I guess Bianca Belair doesn't have a braid choking spot because reasons.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

I might be the only one, but I initially saw Darby losing as him thinking he pinned Cody, not realizing Cody's shoulders were off the mat and he was the one being counted for the 1-2-3 and Darby didn't realize he was the one getting pinned until he heard Cody's music hence him looking surprised when he lost. 

At that moment I thought it was a weird, but kinda brilliant finish. Young, overconfident guy got overzealous and thought he had Cody beaten, but Cody, the vet, was slick enough to escape with a win. I think that's the finish they should have gone with.

And then that got shot to hell when Jericho and Tony called Cody turning the Coffin Drop into a crucifix pin.

I would totally buy that if it weren't for the fact that it did not appear that Darby's left shoulder was fully on the mat.  I'm loving your psychology, but the finish was a bit bungled.

I blame Cody & the ref, not Darby.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, they thought it was a Groundog Day reference.  He's had that kneepad design forever.  I'm blown away that neither ever noticed.  Aside from both seeing so many of his matches, Dave was at ringside for so many Trent matches in PWG, like mere feet away from the guy.

In TNA in 2013, he had one Bill Murray kneepad, and one Zombie Bill Murray kneepad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, they thought it was a Groundog Day reference.  He's had that kneepad design forever.  I'm blown away that neither ever noticed.  Aside from both seeing so many of his matches, Dave was at ringside for so many Trent matches in PWG, like mere feet away from the guy.

It's hard to pick up on such things when you literally have pencil and notepad going. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Mother bitch, first double post from me in an eternity. ?

Edited by Oyaji

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

It's hard to pick up on such things when you literally have pencil and notepad going. 

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

It's hard to pick up on such things when you literally have pencil and notepad going, recording all of the cool moves. 

Was THAT a Groundhog Day reference? If so, good one!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I see Ryder ending up in a Shawn Spears spot. Occasionally getting a win, but mostly jobbing. Maybe Ryder ends up being Spears tag partner? You gotta have a team to job to the Hybrid 2.

I have never seen a Zack Ryder match or much of anything from him, but my hope is he's got the goods that will be unleashed in the creative candyland of freedom that is AEW..  That said, while many bemoaned the signing of 'Tye Dillinger' I thought the same of Shawn Spears.  I was wrong - he's proven to be nothing more than the 'good hand' Cody kayfabe called him as.  Tho, I do think Spears has come a ways and could still potentially work in a tag combo (but is there room for a Spears led team?).  Whomever mentioned Spears trying to be too many things at once hit the nail on the head.  That and he can't seem to settle on a look.  At least one worth keeping - the Maple Leaf/Heartless branding is weak.  So to the goddamned mohawk.  Thankfully he's long stopped with the contacts.  It seems as if he's got no real character.  Or maybe just no idea who he really is.  

To those that have seen Ryder work, is there enough potential upside that he's a worthwhile addition?

Edited by HarryArchieGus

By the way, anyone else getting the Drago "if he dies he dies" feel from Rocky iv with archer and the Rhodes boys.   I demand a no easy way out video from Cody next week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

To those that have seen Ryder work, is there enough potential upside that he's a worthwhile addition?

He's perfectly fine as a worker and would fit right in with the "here are some matches" style of booking AEW falls into sometimes, but unless he's bringing something new to the table instead of his dorky goof gimmick there's not much of a real reason to bring him in. He did have a match during the John Cena US Title open challenge era that I remember liking a whole lot. There are worse choices to wrap up the Spears tag partner search.

I'm hoping Cody and Slater are just working, because if they think bringing Slater in is a bad idea and bringing Ryder in is a good idea they've got it ass backwards.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

You mean the crimson apehangers he has stapled to his skull?  Yes, I totally love them.

I wish his braids were long enough for him to choke someone with them.  

I guess Bianca Belair doesn't have a braid choking spot because reasons.

I fucking hate Bianca's braid for the very reason that she never chokes anyone with it. All that goddamn hair-based offense she does, and no strangulation spot? I don't like it.

Until your post, I have never considered as to why she may not be doing that very thing. Bravo to you for not being a total dope like me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

It seems as if he's got no real character.  Or maybe just no idea who he really is. 

It baffles me that in an artform like wrestling where your character is your reason for being, you can have none. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It baffles me that in an artform like wrestling where your character is your reason for being, you can have none. 

Shawn Spears should do an Ed Leslie tribute, "The Man of Too Many Gimmicks".

• Like 2