DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Pepe, sadly, ceased to be long ago. RIP

Funny thing about the Popeye reference is the Popeye movie with Robin Williams and Sissy Spacek was playing on AXSTV at the same time. 

Shelly Duvall. ?

(and Ray Walston as Pappy, amongst others)

Edited by odessasteps

And Nilsson is responsible for the soundtrack. It's a fucking weird one, for sure. I just watched it for the first time in years with my Boys a couple weeks ago, and my 4 year old was walking around singing "He's Large"  for a couple of days after.

• Haha 2

I'd love Wardlow just plowing through people until MJF gets back. I loved his squash and Brodie Lee's as well. All in all, this was a solid show and I enjoyed it more than last week's. Jericho continues to gold on commentary. I love the chemistry between he and Schiavone.  

32 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

And Nilsson is responsible for the soundtrack. It's a fucking weird one, for sure. I just watched it for the first time in years with my Boys a couple weeks ago, and my 4 year old was walking around singing "He's Large"  for a couple of days after.

If I had a four year old, I'd teach him Jacques Rougeau's theme songs.

• Like 1

Wardlow is indeed awesome. I appreciate that there's a degree of danger to everything he does, but no one is getting killed by him. He's like an upgraded Ryback or Brian Cage in that regard I suppose. Ryback was just straight hurting dudes or wasn't as strong as he looked and Brian Cage moves around like a balloon animal.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Picklesnbeer said:

Yeah I am catching up today. I am not familiar with Wardlow beyond AEW. Is he that good or just being camouflaged. I don't know I've seen his squashes and the Cody match.

I would say both camouflaged and finally cast in the right character. Prior to this if I had to compare him to anyone it be Bobby Lashley, or Brian Cage. A very large but athletic guy who wrestles competitive matches. Now he’s just a big hoss tossing people around.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

When things are back to normal, AEW needs to continue their pursuit of Jeff Cobb. Imagine Cobb vs. Archer vs. Wardlow vs. Brodie Lee.

As Gorilla Monsoon would say, they'd have to reinforce the ring for that one.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Phrases that are common in my household since Jericho has been on commentary:

"I don't like that guy" / "He's got a bad attitude"
"That town is a dump"
"Dammit Pineapple Pete"
"Pumpkinhead"

We've seriously been enjoying him on commentary and will enjoy the ride while it lasts.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It's a very odd film. And Evans originally wanted Dustin Hoffman to play Popeye.

Robert Evans said a few years ago they he had a producers cut of the film that was almost 3 hours. See, this is the kinda stuff that needs to be on special edition blu ray's.

As for the show, I thought it was good. Sammy and Darby might just kill each other in a match someday. I honestly thought Sammy was going to win, but Cody/Darby II should be a nice way to set up who is almost certainly facing Lance Archer in the finals. That's what I like about this company. I can't say Archer will be in those finals with absolute certainty. You would think they telegraphed it with Jake the Snake and Archer coming for Cody, but I can honestly see Darby vs. Dustin in the finals.

Speaking of Dustin. He has to be the first person in ages to actually win a match with a Destroyer.

The Altman/Williams Popeye is one of the weirdest theoretically mainstream movies ever made.

Speaking of Popeye, I wonder if Gendy Tartakovsky will ever get to make the Popeye movie they've been dangling in front of him to get him to do every Hotel Transylvania.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Some more filmed-from-home promos or the like would be nice though. It's been a minute since we've heard from Nyla Rose for instance and she's the champ. They must be able to insert those after the tapings.

Nyla appeared on this week’s ‘Road to’ and was pretty hilarious ripping into QT and Skeevone.  Which led into the more hilarious Britt-Tony-Brandi segment.  

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Altman/Williams Popeye is one of the weirdest theoretically mainstream movies ever made.

Absolutely.  The Nilsson soundtrack is fun as is the movie.  Best served for young’uns.  A lesser Altman to be sure, but certainly a curious one.  The grossly underrated Shelley Duvall steals it.