DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

On tap for tonight: 

• Sammy Guevara vs. Darby Allin (TNT Championship Tournament quarter final match)
  • Dustin Rhodes vs. Kip Sabian (TNT Championship Tournament quarter final match)
  • Orange Cassidy vs. Jimmy Havoc
  • Kenny Omega in action
  • Brodie Lee in action
  • Wardlow in action
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, gordi said:

I feel like, once the crisis has passed and if NJPW and AEW start working together, Orange Cassidy and Juice Robinson should form a tag team. They could call themselves "Cassidy & Robinson."

Arnie_pye_in_the_sky.jpg

Approves.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Opening match was fantastic. They beat the bajeezus out each other and that ladder spot looked awful for everyone involved.

Jericho was on form during Kenny's match. The Tijuana cabdriver line got me.

Didn't he steal it from boxer Greg Haugen doing a promo building up a fight in Mexico vs Julio Caeser Chavez in the early 90's?

Preston Vance has appeared on Dark a few times over the past couple of weeks. Looks like he's the new Dark Order recruit. I did roll my eyes at the "Did you play football?" line. 

That ending to Sabian/Dustin was horrific. This company has such a hard-on for going out of their way to make referees look stupid. It's odd. No one came off better there.

I laughed at the Mike Boyette reference and any shot of Jericho's chihuahua gets a thumbs-up from me.

I rather see Anna Jay & Preston Vance versus Kip Sabian & Penelope Ford, but I guess this is okay too. I rather the Dark Order be full of people with actual names instead of just "Creeper #5".

Nightmare Factory paying off already for AEW, though. Happy for everyone involved. I wonder how Ogogo's training was going before all of this happened.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Goddamnit I loved everything Brodie Lee did tonight.

The gimmick has surprised me actually. It’s like a more refined version of Sean O’Haire’s devil’s advocate character as opposed to the budget version of Ministry Undertaker I was expecting 

• Like 1

I loved the hell out of that Wardlow squash. Dude just mauled that poor bastard from the word go and looked like a damn beast the entire time. He's another Hager esque dude that doesn't need to be wrestling 30 minutes a shot. Just kill fuckers dead for 3-5 minutes and we all win

• Like 2

Allin / Guevara should've been the main event. That shit was bonkers. Great storytelling and a finish that made sense.  Injure a leg and then use it as the fulcrum point of your leglock pin finisher.  Allin even added more pressure with his free leg to make sure Guevara did not kick out.  The man is a student of the game.

I hate both Orange Cassidy and Jimmy Havoc, but the two of them dragged a fairly decent match out of each other.  Jimmy's punches have improved tremendously since his MLW garbage matches.

Loved the Wardlow squash and Omega's I have had enough of this bullshit V-Trigger at the end of his match.  Dudes just got killed dead last night.

Edited by J.T.

Fun show.  As expected Sammy/Darby was terrific.  Jericho's commentary continues to be a highlight.  As was, as always, Orange Cassidy.  I dug the Scorpio Sky package (but TBC is silly).  This is exactly what I was hoping to see more of - especially during this empty arena era.  I'd also love to see more promos - was nice to see Best Friends/OC get some mic time.  More promos please.  These big man squashes have been a ton of fun.  That said, do we need to see a bad graphics titantron video for 'Lee Johnson', etc.  Don't waste TV time on 'Ham and egger' entrances.  Brodie Lee promo was fine, but never a fan of unexplainable cameras like the one present in Preston Vance's room as he's watching television.  Minor complaints aside this was a far more enjoyable episode than the past few weeks.       

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Really enjoyed the episode with cool things like Darby/Sammy, Taz breaking down Omega's moves, Hardy's promo and all the other stuff that came with it.

But one thing that stuck out is while I love Jericho's commentary I was baffled at how he commentated the Omega squash.  His opponent looked pretty good and they were right to point out that he hung with Kenny Omega.  But then near the end Jericho's commentary kind of negated all that as it made it look like it was Kenny just giving false impressions.  Was just a weird part that I hope they don't do for future matches like this.

That said Jericho was having me laughing quite a bit throughout the night.  I love how Tony calls a Lope Suicida and Jeircho didn't know what it stood for.  Then in the next sentence he refers to Darby committing suicide on that dive.  Then soon after he says after hearing "El Gato" he knows perfect Spanish.  That wacky contradictory stuff with Chris's delivery just had me laughing a good bit.  And I can see that Flim Flam challenge catching on as that was very amusing stuff.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The show was fun as usual, but I'm not going to lie, I can't wait for them to get their full roster back and get back to better, more fleshed out storylines.

Definitely. Their big guys look good squashing dudes but it's half of Dynamite at this point and I'd like to see more. And I'm going to assume they only have like 5 women backstage including Anna Jay since there was zero women's division stuff this week and taping all at once means they can't have them wrestle every episode. Some more filmed-from-home promos or the like would be nice though. It's been a minute since we've heard from Nyla Rose for instance and she's the champ. They must be able to insert those after the tapings.

14 hours ago, Peck said:

I laughed at the Mike Boyette reference and any shot of Jericho's chihuahua gets a thumbs-up from me.

I popped so hard for that reference. I also loved Jericho getting behind Cassidy a bit when he finally fired up ("like Popeye eating a can of spinach!") and got his shine in on Havoc. Jericho has been so damn great doing color for them.

• Like 4