DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Viking Carpool Karaoke - 4/20/2020

Dolfan in NYC

So was this the most women's matches on Raw ever? Dug them all to varying degrees.

Shayna just wanting to maim opponents is wonderful.

Really digging Charlotte as NXT champ. She feels more motivated than usual.

Dawkins and Ford were kind of annoying on commentary, but I dug Bianca's showcase against Santana.

Was going to skip Theory/Black, but ended up catching most of it because of Zelina on Commentary. Match was pretty solid and Zelina is always a joy to listen to. Its sort of weird to see her group all over Raw so much only to get destroyed by Drew twice in a row.

23 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So was this the most women's matches on Raw ever? Dug them all to varying degrees.

Shayna just wanting to maim opponents is wonderful.

Really digging Charlotte as NXT champ. She feels more motivated than usual.

Dawkins and Ford were kind of annoying on commentary, but I dug Bianca's showcase against Santana.

Was going to skip Theory/Black, but ended up catching most of it because of Zelina on Commentary. Match was pretty solid and Zelina is always a joy to listen to. Its sort of weird to see her group all over Raw so much only to get destroyed by Drew twice in a row.

They’ve had gauntlets before but it’s the first time I recall them doing five separate women’s matches on one Raw, nice to see. Though I kinda wish they’d thought of this more vicious Shayna gimmick before Mania rather than afterwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peck said:

I could watch Asuka yell at random things on a television for 3 hours every night.

As much as Jericho has helped AEW being on commentary, I'd think this would help the bore-fest that Raw is.

Adversely, Street Profits' commentary segment was pretty much unlistenable, at one point I just muted it due to how annoying they got.

Poor Sarah Logan got mentioned more then when she was actually with the company.

Shayna is about the same age as a lot of us here. She must have seen this video in her local video store all the time when she was growing up.

MPW-83424.jpg?resize=196,300&ssl=1

I mean if they make a WWE 24 about her that's like this, it would be amazing. I could listen to Shayna talk about the many ways she likes to break people apart.

I liked the foundation of Zelina's stable (well I guess it's a stable). But in typical WWE fashion they have to make anything that could be good look weak. They shoehorned Seth into a feud with Drew, so unless Zelina has aligned herself with his ministry, they should have just run with Drew vs. Andrade for the next couple of weeks till Money in the Bank.

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Dawkins and Ford were kind of annoying on commentary,

6 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Street Profits' commentary segment was pretty much unlistenable, at one point I just muted it due to how annoying they got.

This is the entire gimmick though, right? It was less egregious in NXT, but since day one they've really dove head first into the "being obnoxiously 'zany' is funny" Vince style of humor.

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I thought Liv/Ruby was really snug. They were laying it in.

Nia Jax has to be the worst pro wrestler on a major roster. It’s just so bad. That turnbuckle spot was a near disaster.

I mean I liked that Nia called Ronda out for getting Alexa hurt.  The problem is that Rousey had about a year of experience.  Nia has been in this business for at least 5 years is just as sloppy as she has ever been.

If Kairi is not renewing her contract with the WWE then she needs to go now because it isn't worth killing herself jobbing on the way out.

It takes a special kind of creativity to make Hanson and Rowe not feel like badasses, so I'm honestly impressed. Also offended because that was kareoke. I'm going to be wondering what that was for the rest of the weekend, just that baffling. 

Liv-Ruby was good, and Sarah Logan's coming back right? Can't remember them ever mentioning a released talent that much. 

Bobby Lashley is fueding with a tire, and possibly other training equipment at the PC as the weeks go on?  

Drew is working his way through Zelinas group, but started at the top and is going backwards. Andrade could have been the MITB match instead of going to Seth right away, nothing matters right now. 

I honestly thought for a moment that Ricochet and Cedric were going to lose that tag match b/c my faith in them is dead. Also guessing Shane Throne dyed his hair so they wouldn't recognize him, and thus, avoid being released.

20 minutes ago, ErinQuinn said:

Liv-Ruby was good, and Sarah Logan's coming back right? Can't remember them ever mentioning a released talent that much. 

Meltzer mentioned in his daily update last night about a "weird name scheduled for multiple segments on Raw." That didn't happen, albeit someone physically, but I do have to wonder if there are people in the back pushing for Sarah Logan's return. Of that original list of those let go from Raw and Smackdown, she was the probably the only one who didn't fit the definition of "demanding to leave" or "how is s/he still on the roster after all these years."

2 hours ago, colonial said:

Meltzer mentioned in his daily update last night about a "weird name scheduled for multiple segments on Raw." That didn't happen, albeit someone physically, but I do have to wonder if there are people in the back pushing for Sarah Logan's return. Of that original list of those let go from Raw and Smackdown, she was the probably the only one who didn't fit the definition of "demanding to leave" or "how is s/he still on the roster after all these years."

To piggyback on the Logan stuff:

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/sarah-logan-originally-scheduled-wwe-raw-pulled-last-minute-309341

The recently released Sarah Logan was set to be on WWE Raw Monday night, but was pulled at the last minute.

On the post-Raw Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer reported that Logan was originally supposed to be part of the show and was in the script. However, once the show started, Logan was written off the show and not used. Meltzer also noted that she has not been rehired.

Meltzer also said that WWE’s mentality is that since talent that were cut last week are still being paid for the next 90 days, the company feels they can still use them during that time period. Drake Maverick, for example, will be competing in the upcoming NXT interim cruiserweight title tournament despite being released last week.

Logan’s name was mentioned multiple times during the broadcast. Commentary brought up Shayna Baszler breaking her arm in a match last week and later in the show during a Ruby Riott promo, Riott mentioned Logan as the third member of the Riott Squad. Riott later lost to Liv Morgan, the other member of the stable.

If I was a worker I’d be asking to get paid for my work. I don’t care if I’m getting paid for the 90 days.You fired me, and now you want to use me like I wasn’t. Fuck you, pay me like I still work there, even if you have to double pay me. And I ain’t going to get paid like no jobber. 

Some of these wrestlers are idiots.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 7

For being less than three minutes (WWE's YouTube upload includes nearly the entire thing), the Charlotte/Kayden match had some fun storytelling, highlighting again how well Charlotte has adapted to empty arena shows and how on-point her character work is in her current role as a a vicious and arrogant heel lording it over NXT. The match starts with her 'warming up' by grabbing the ropes and then rather going into a lockup, immediately proceeding to boot Kayden in the face and calling back to the Rhea Wrestlemania match in her trash talk. She proceeds to start dismissively kicking Kayden in the head while berating her on needing to do her "homework", before dusting off her hands and then going for another boot before Kayden finally sees an opening and cuts her down as well as using the opportunity to give a superkick. Kayden takes the chance to do a crucifix and put Charlotte in an octopus hold but Charlotte powers out of it and launches her up into the top rope after throwing a couple of elbows. Charlotte levels her with a spear before finishing her earlier gesture by dusting her hands off once more. To be even more of a jerk, Charlotte gets her into the Figure 4, taunts Kayden into sitting up, and then slaps her right back down, berating her further. Kayden soon taps to the Figure 8, but Charlotte doesn't break it, and then to add one final humiliation, sarcastically applauds Kayden as she's writhing in pain.

• Like 1

The women's division is really heel heavy now and I dig it. Charlotte, Shayna, and the Kabuki Warriors were highlights of the show and rightfully so, they're all awesome. Jax is unchanged from before her injury, same presentation, same sloppiness. How boring.