DVDVR Message Board

WWE COVID-19 RELEASE MEGATHREAD

Guest Edwin
17 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Did Lio Rush and Darby Allin ever meet in a singles match? Tbh that's the one dream opponent I see for Lio with their fast forward style of dodging and countering moves in, to me personally, unique ways. They each have a version of spinning away from attacks running to the side out of harm's way that I think looks neat and I'm curious if this a match worth tracking down if it happened?

That's possibly the worst match up for either. It's going to look a like choreographed dance routine.

Their best matches are usually them playing the much tinnier underdogs against giants. WALTER/Darby and Lio/Keith Lee from EVOLVE for example.

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

A large percentage of their audience would probably be jealous of his toy collection. 

Well now I'm sad that Lucha Underground still isn't a thing so he can use his real-life action figure collecting habit for a gimmick where he is obsessed with beating wrestlers so he can use some sort of Lucha Underground vignette magic to literally turn and trap the wrestlers he defeats into action figures.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

All that stuff about Lio being an egomaniac and hard to work with... you ever notice how stuff like that seems to come out about every WWE wrestler who isn't a total sycophantic bootlicker?

Not to mention, Rhea Riplay uses the F word (the homophobic one, not the acceptable substitute for every word in the language one) on a stream and the story is She's young, everyone makes mistakes. Lio does one tweet in his kayfabe character and suddenly he's a shoot arsehole?

• Like 9

2 hours ago, EVA said:

IIRC it was one of those temperamental Vince deals where Colt had a bad match on the wrong day, and Vince was just fucking done with him.

I believe there were a couple of weird firings like that around that time.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

That's possibly the worst match up for either. It's going to look a like choreographed dance routine.

Their best matches are usually them playing the much tinnier underdogs against giants. WALTER/Darby and Lio/Keith Lee from EVOLVE for example.

To me they're Rey Mysterio and Rey Fenix all over again, a unique matchup with two guys with exclusive offense to their arsenal and seeing what they bring when they match up is where the fun lies. Hence the to me personally part. You want a worst matchup for Darby, give him Marko. You want a worst matchup for Lio, give him Nakazawa. High flyers with unique offense going toe to toe is probably 50/50 tied with David vs Goliath matches when it comes to using smaller flyers, although that probably comes down to individual taste?

Choreographed dance routine? Like most go-go-go matches these days don't come off like that already? 

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Damien Sandow first entered WWE developmental in 2003, nine years before his main roster debut-as-Sandow. He had lots of gimmicks before that (and quite a few after). They never fully explained why the intellectual saviour of the masses became a stunt double, did they?

They did, but it took a few steps to get there:

Sandow is intellectual savior of the masses.

During the Occupy Raw segment, Sandow was sent out to try and disperse the crowd, and failed miserably, going back to it.  They then sold as a plot point "The Authority lost faith in Sandow because he couldn't disperse the crowd and stop Daniel Bryan's protest."

The fact Sandow had The Authority lose faith in him caused something to snap inside Sandow.  For a couple months after that, Sandow started impersonating various people or things onscreen. Eventually one week, he impersonated The Miz, and The Miz kept him around as a stunt double.

• Thanks 1

Apparently Kassius Ohno was released (not moving to trainer as speculated)

Also Twitter is saying Taynara and Tino Sabatelli are other cuts

EDIT - Taynara's release was confirmed by PWI

Guest Edwin

Taynara and possibly Kassius, too? ?

Taynara was one of the Florida loop favorites.

Edited by Edwin

Guest Edwin
Just now, (BP) said:

Wasn’t Ohno already a trainer in UK or was he still doing the player/coach thing? 

He denied the rumors he was a trainer on a reddit AMA and said he only did coaching once or twice when a trainer couldn't make it.

One of my favorite exchanges on the board was the first time Hero got hired and they announced his new name. Like four people posted “Oh no” at the same time, and then someone posted a picture of the Kool-Aid Man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

21 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

Vince making Ohno wear a singlet, with his gut, was just baffling.

Just have the guy wear a t-shirt and long tights.

Was the a Vince call? I can't imagine him having a strong preference about the attire of someone who amounted to being a lower-tier NXT guy. 

Edit: Great minds, @Johnny Sorrow

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy