Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

WWE COVID-19 RELEASE MEGATHREAD


Recommended Posts

Catching up on my Twitter feed from the past 24 hrs and there was a bit of speculation that WWE should furlough Roman since he probably makes a decent bit and may not be seen again until this is all over (so... 2022?)

Was there much of that yesterday.?  It was just one or two knuckleheads, but I don't follow anyone directly connected to wrestling, so wrestling chat rarely makes in into my feed (most of it comes from people like Mike Golic Jr., who watches wrestling in his spare time).

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, The Natural said:

 

Dave did say the producers were furloughed, not fired.  So, in theory, all/most of them could come back.

Of course, he also said that the company doesn't need that many producers since they cut back on house shows before the pandemic (and are not running house shows at all, at  the moment).

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was a time when Zack Ryder stood in the ring with CM Punk and Daniel Bryan, and he was the one that got the chants. That was, what, nine years ago? Then the WWE decided to have Kane pull an entire deck's worth of his punk cards, and have his love interest try to cuckold him with John Cena.

But he stuck with it and got almost a decade more of employment out of it. Hopefully the Major Brothers land on their feet when this is all over.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

There was a time when Zack Ryder stood in the ring with CM Punk and Daniel Bryan, and he was the one that got the chants. That was, what, nine years ago? Then the WWE decided to have Kane pull an entire deck's worth of his punk cards, and have his love interest try to cuckold him with John Cena.

But he stuck with it and got almost a decade more of employment out of it. Hopefully the Major Brothers land on their feet when this is all over.

5cadca2e2b43ec5fa9fffd517af48806.jpg&op=

Pretty sure this photo was taken that same night he teamed with Punk/Bryan. You have to feel for how dirty they did him after this, by actively taking money out of his pocket. His merch was absolutely flying off the shelves for a while there... but then they jobbed him into oblivion, and finally no one wanted to buy stuff for a dude who never won anything anymore.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Ryder and I think he's adorable.  I like watching his Youtube channel and he's just a giant, lovable dork, and I think he'd be a good babyface in AEW.  I'm not saying he could be a main guy but a good, solid mid-card act or a tag team with Hawkins.  Plus, he'd fit right in with BTE.  Hell, if they can hire Cutler, Dr. fucking Luther, and Awesome Kong, why not Ryder and Hawkins, who might actually sell merch and be useful.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

There was a time when Zack Ryder stood in the ring with CM Punk and Daniel Bryan, and he was the one that got the chants. That was, what, nine years ago? Then the WWE decided to have Kane pull an entire deck's worth of his punk cards, and have his love interest try to cuckold him with John Cena.

But he stuck with it and got almost a decade more of employment out of it. Hopefully the Major Brothers land on their feet when this is all over.

I'm thinking it's the post TLC 2011 RAW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

I like Ryder and I think he's adorable.  I like watching his Youtube channel and he's just a giant, lovable dork, and I think he'd be a good babyface in AEW.  I'm not saying he could be a main guy but a good, solid mid-card act or a tag team with Hawkins.  Plus, he'd fit right in with BTE.  Hell, if they can hire Cutler, Dr. fucking Luther, and Awesome Kong, why not Ryder and Hawkins, who might actually sell merch and be useful.

Yea he is truly a Geek’s geek and I love it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Is she a nepotism hire as well? Is she hella tight homies with Brandi? If she is one of the "give our boys a contract" signings, this is the first I am hearing of it.

 

I think Kong was brought in because she's a legend and stars in a hit show on Netflix.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Is she a nepotism hire as well? Is she hella tight homies with Brandi? If she is one of the "give our boys a contract" signings, this is the first I am hearing of it.

 

 

Kong is a name to the "hardcore" crowd that AEW is targeting.  

 

She's remembered as the last gaijin to hold the WWWA "World" title in All Japan Women, but she didn't boost attendance and they cut her reign short and put the belt back on Ayako Hamada.

 

After that, she's remembered mostly for her run in TNA.  Her run in WWE is something that even she would probably like to forget.

 

Beyond that, she's a "name" from GLOW and that works well for her in her limited role in AEW.  She really can't work anymore because she's so beat up, but you can use her as a gatekeeper to whoever is slotted to win the AEW women's title.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

Kong is a name to the "hardcore" crowd that AEW is targeting.  

She's remembered as the last gaijin to hold the WWWA "World" title in All Japan Women, but she didn't boost attendance and they cut her reign short and put the belt back on Ayako Hamada.

After that, she's remembered mostly for her run in TNA.  Her run in WWE is something that even she would probably like to forget.

Beyond that, she's a "name" from GLOW and that works well for her in her limited role in AEW.  She really can't work anymore because she's so beat up, but you can use her as a gatekeeper to whoever is slotted to win the AEW women's title.

All of those things are totally accurate, but aren't the same as hiring Brandon Cutler or Nakazawa or Dr. Luther. I would include Riho, since she was obviously hired because of Kenny, but she carries her weight pretty goddamn well.

Also, the idea of Kong as gatekeeper is hella laughable after her last appearance or two on TV. She doesn't move well enough to even have basic matches. It's nowhere near as bad, but watching her almost felt like late stage Andre, where guys would just feed themselves to him and bump without him actually having to do anything. The beatdown on her from Mel and Dr. Luther was pillow soft, but somehow wrote off this monster for at least months, and likely forever. I hope she sticks around as an agent / producer to help Nyla develop into a better monster, but I can't see her getting much use in-ring anymore.

Edited by grilledcheese
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Southside Jim said:

She's remembered as the last gaijin to hold the WWWA "World" title in All Japan Women, but she didn't boost attendance and they cut her reign short and put the belt back on Ayako Hamada.

 

After that, she's remembered mostly for her run in TNA.  Her run in WWE is something that even she would probably like to forget.

Most fans have never seen any of Kong's Japan work let alone her reign as WWWA champ. Most probably haven't even seen AJW. Kong is remembered for her run in TNA and her brief stint as Kharma in a what could have been type of way. Keep in mind her WWE stint was a rare case where WWE didn't fuck it up, bad shit just unfortunately occurred for her in real life.

1 hour ago, grilledcheese said:

All of those things are totally accurate, but aren't the same as hiring Brandon Cutler or Nakazawa or Dr. Luther. I would include Riho, since she was obviously hired because of Kenny, but she carries her weight pretty goddamn well.

Just throwing this out there, but despite AEW selling them as friends Riho mentioned barely knowing Kenny. They teamed once ten years ago and that was it before AEW. She got picked up more because Kenny paid attention to the joshi scene, saw her talent, and knew she was going freelance. Same way they picked up Shida and various others from the indies. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Eivion said:

They teamed once ten years ago and that was it before AEW. She got picked up more because Kenny paid attention to the joshi scene, saw her talent, and knew she was going freelance. Same way they picked up Shida and various others from the indies. 

Thanks for the knowledge. Like I said, I wouldn't include her because of how well she is doing her job, but from what you are saying, there isn't anything there anyway.

My only beef with the "hire your friends" horseshit is that people seem to never hire their capable friends to do anything. It seems like people have to look out for their worst fuckhead friends because those folks don't have any real merits that they can lean on to get stuff done for themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well, if the rumors are true, then Shida knew Kenny more intimately. So it wasn’t exactly the same process. Still Shida is a talent, not quite as special as Riho though.

Hadn't heard about that. Still if you are paying attention to the scene and looking at talented freelancers Shida and Hiroyo Matsumoto were basically the first two to look at. They were the biggest freelance names and both had tried to enter WWE previously. Hiroyo at least got into the MYC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...