DVDVR Message Board

WWE COVID-19 RELEASE MEGATHREAD

So is Tamina only safe because she has the evidence to convict Vince for tampering with a crime scene? Jimmy must’ve given her everything to hide, and use for blackmail. The Shane envelop storyline is probably a reference to that real life issue.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

So why doesn't Meltzer just *not* speculate if he doesn't know? I mean, fuck me for calling out Meltzer when he talks out of his ass I guess, but he could really easily solve that problem by deciding not to talk out of his ass in the first place.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I’d argue Ryder’s YouTube show was very influential. For a few weeks it was the talk of wrestling, got him over, and paved the way for private channels as a way for wrestlers to develop a fan base (UUDD, Celtic workouts, etc).

Even beyond that, Ryder was one of those people who changed wrestling with that show for better or worse.

For better because he was the first person to really show wrestling "hey wait, you can get over using the Internet and social media to develop a character without WWE giving you a character"- and in the process gave way for everything from the Reality Era starting, all the way up to people like Becky Lynch where a big part of their in-ring character is how they snipe at everyone on Twitter...not to mention all the indie workers who could suddenly use their social media game to build up their social media game to make themselves stars. 

For worse because the success of Ryder's show was the first moment WWE found "wait a second, if these lowcarders are getting themselves over in their spare time on the Internet, we don't need to waste as much time on them giving them an actual character...and if the fans are actually getting behind these lowcarders using their Internet success to get over, that means the fans are now savvy enough to scour everything on the dirtsheets for new information about pro wrestling, so we no longer need to pay any attention onscreen to the storylines they're making. Just put them onscreen, don't tell anyone why, and the fans will clearly KNOW why it's happened because they already saw it online!" 

As far as who the next names- if any- would be on the main roster or NXT, probably one of the most telling fake things out there was the fact the alleged Kairi/Peyton/Ruby fire spree was proven false. This one being false helped extend an even bigger hint of who could be getting the chopping block that makes sense if you think about it: Of the people who got outright releases so far, virtually every released person was either an American, or at the very least someone who we know has their green card  (so for example on that- Rusev and Drake Maverick are both married to Americans, and Eric Young's been in the US for close to 20 years so...come on, it's obvious he's a citizen by now.)  The only person who is not a citizen is that Aleksandr guy from NXT. 

That makes sense if you think about it since if you plan to furlough workers, WWE's already behind the eight ball for roster talent due to the independent contractors thing (you can furlough an employee, but if you try to furlough an independent contractor, you ended their contract and basically fired them anyway), but if they're an American citizen, at least there won't be too much fuss in bringing them back when all of this blows over. If you do it to a foreign-born wrestler, suddenly their work visa is instantly revoked, they end up in a worse situation than the Rhea Ripley situation of "they have to go back home, but they also CAN'T return home" because it's grounds for deportation to a country that also may not take them back until it all blows over...and if you try to rehire them when it all blows over, suddenly you have to go through the work visa process again and it'd take months to bring them back.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I don't know how its talking out his ass when he says "I was told there will be no more main roster cuts"?

I didn't listen to the audio - I'm going by what y'all are saying here, which has morphed from "There will be no more main roster cuts" to "I think" to "I was told."

"I was told" is exactly how he needs to phrase most things.

I just went back to listen to get the exact quote just to make sure

"I don't think, okay, based on what I was told tonight, I don't think there will be anymore main roster cuts"

So I accept that isn't 100% definitive but I also think its Dave hedging his bets in case a name that was already released comes out now.

Man, I hate to be cold-hearted but there are quite a few people on the main rosters who probably should be furloughed or released.  WWE's had a bloated roster for years, and there are quite a few guys who will never get over/used.  Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas are probably not going to get tv time now or after the pandemic.  Tamina is seldom used and really seems only suited as muscle to get someone else over.  Lana?  Lars Sullivan?

Most of workers cut yesterday had no real role with the company or were malcontents re-signed to keep them away from other promotions.  Rusev and the Good Brothers had been used on tv lately, but they also spent long periods of time sitting at home in the not-too-distant past.

The company is in a terrible position.  Won't be able to run live shows with crowds for who knows how long, and the empty arena shows are pretty lifeless.  They may be able to technically satisfy the terms of the contracts, but probably aren't going to be able to pull normal ratings or pull in new viewers.  Seems like that's going to affect their relationship with the networks at some point.  

Did the NXT announcing crew get furloughed?  I didn't watch last night, but it apparently wasn't Mauro/Beth/Nigel calling the show.

• Like 1

And again - multiple reporters beyond Dave - have said there are a lot more NXT/NXT UK/PC names that were at least furloughed (if not released) who they didn't announce.

It seems that in the case of those people - it will be up to the talent themselves to acknowledge it as the WWE isn't planning on announcing the PC talent affected

1 minute ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Did the NXT announcing crew get furloughed?  I didn't watch last night, but it apparently wasn't Mauro/Beth/Nigel calling the show.

Unknown but both Mauro and Nigel aren't leaving the state of California due to the travel restrictions and since they are back to broadcasting live from the PC - that is why Tom Phillips and Byron Saxton were used

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Unknown but both Mauro and Nigel aren't leaving the state of California due to the travel restrictions and since they are back to broadcasting live from the PC - that is why Tom Phillips and Byron Saxton were used

I didn't know Mauro and Nigel were in California.  That explains that.

12 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Whoever = Morrison

Reveal hidden contents

65bee59b8b2777830512364758f25a4f.jpg

I defy anyone to look at that picture or the hot tub one and say that people wouldn’t pay to see them get their asses kicked if they were in a stable together.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Curious as to why Nigel lives in California (L.A. according to wikipedia. I'm a city guy, but...just no).

He did a Reddit AMA 5 years ago 

As you can see it looks like a combo of TV projects he was working on (before going to WWE) and that he likes to surf ?

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I just went back to listen to get the exact quote just to make sure

"I don't think, okay, based on what I was told tonight, I don't think there will be anymore main roster cuts"

So I accept that isn't 100% definitive but I also think its Dave hedging his bets in case a name that was already released comes out now.

Well, and to be fair, on the WWE call yesterday they said they would be calling talent yesterday. I'd imagine all calls have been made by this point.