DVDVR Message Board

WWE COVID-19 RELEASE MEGATHREAD

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I still can't think of a single thing about Zach Ryder. Nothing comes to mind. I don't remember that title win, I barely remembered "woo woo woo" when it was brought up... just nothing. 

He’s one of Cody’s friends in the industry, and if you’ve followed their hirings from the start you’ve noticed that they tend to hire people closest to them. The people that they can trust the most. That isn’t  an uncommon thing for the industry. Vince does/did that too. Dusty would do it as well.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Vince is a cokehead. All addicts have that mentality. I can get a gram of coke? I'll take an 8-ball instead.

I have 20 of them on the way to you. A mysterious address out in the desert. Also, it's just a bunch of billiard 8-balls being delivered by a Harris Twin.

• Haha 1

Ryder also had the John Cena US Open Challenge match where he was seconded by the cast of Entourage and a Long Island crowd that desperately wanted Ryder to win

I miss the Cena US Open Challenge

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

?

Yeah, I'm sure Curt Hawkins, Rusev, Alexander Jaksic, etc. are all chomping at the bit to headline the Berwyn Eagles Club.

Hawkins already did the indie thing the last time he was fired. He even worked the Battle of Los Angeles in 2014, losing in a bad match in the first round against AJ Styles. Think about how bad you need to be to have a bad match against AJ in 2014.

12 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I’d argue Ryder’s YouTube show was very influential. For a few weeks it was the talk of wrestling, got him over, and paved the way for private channels as a way for wrestlers to develop a fan base (UUDD, Celtic workouts, etc).

I remember that the most. Zack Ryder is on top of a fence and says "I'm trying to get over" and there's one with a boat. There's this:

The other things: Zack Ryder becomes WWE United States Champion, TLC 2011 and surprisingly wins the WWE Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania XXXII.

Edited by The Natural

1 minute ago, mattdangerously said:

Hawkins already did the indie thing the last time he was fired. He even worked the Battle of Los Angeles in 2014, losing in a bad match in the first round against AJ Styles. Think about how bad you need to be to have a bad match against AJ in 2014.

Alexander Jaksic wrestled in Santino Marella's tiny little gym set-up, as well. So this idea that they won't want to wrestle in front of "tiny crowds" is bullshit.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yeah come on, Ryder got over. I enjoyed him honestly. He could’ve been a really nice midcard heel, and  IC title level guy, but they slapped him back down with the Kane stuff, and that was it. 

Agree with all this. The Kane shit really stuffed his momentum.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Zach had some good matches with Christian during the latter’s god-level ECW title run.

Man, that was one of the saving graces of WWE ECW: Christian's ECW Title reign vs. William Regal, Zack Snyder and Yoshi Tatsu. Hell he got something decent out of fucking Ezekiel Jackson on the last ECW show ever. Christian deserved to go out as the final ECW Champion ever. Really liked the WWE's ECW Championship as well.

Edited by The Natural
I'm keeping THAT mistake in. Hope it raises a laugh or two.
  • Haha 4

The biggest problem with Ryder, other than the fact he got over on his own in a way that brass didn't approve of because it was outside of their acceptable lane, was that they kept him face for ten years. There were definitely a couple of earnest fan-makes-good, point-of-view, identifiable mid-card babyface runs in the guy, no doubt, but his natural personality screams unlikable bro heel. He should have been a heel again by 2013 at the latest and they never, ever turned him except for some pissy thing with Mojo where he was serious instead of playing to his strengths towards the end. I always thought they should have run with the very natural Miz/Ryder/Ziggler/Whoever Entourage heel group.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

What hurt him was that his quarter hours didn't do well when they tried pushing him. But, and I know I said this at the time, there are ways to protect people even if you don't intend to push them to main-event level. And WWE used to know how to do that.

Regardless, it's almost 2 1/2 years since the Hype Bros split up and the game appeared up for him then. Yet he still got to have one more Wrestlemania moment. So he's done alright for himself really.

Random Zack Ryder moments:

- in WWECW, cutting a great promo on Tyler Reks letting him know that he wasn't going to be just another undercard guy, then beating him the next week in a fun match.

- Zack and Rosa getting together (they were a great act)

- Zack ending Tommy Dreamer's ECW career lol

- Zack flashing the LI sign at Yoshi Tatsu and getting merc'd with a kick for the loss on some random af 6 man on RAW

- people already mentioned matches with Christian in WWECW

- LI Homecoming on Superstars, over af. Ryder Revolution begins.

- Survivor Series 2011, The Rock forced to acknowledge Ryder chants and put him over. 

Matt Cardona's gonna be ok,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I always thought they should have run with the very natural Miz/Ryder/Ziggler/Whoever Entourage heel group.

Agreed, there was definitely a missed opportunity for a 'bunch of jock assholes' stable. All-American-American-(American) Swagger would also have worked just fine.

I forget if it was Jericho or Austin's podcast, but Mick Foley said that a big problem Ryder had was that he was too scared to go to Vince and talk about his character/career direction.  People have to remember that you have to win Vince over to get anywhere in the WWE.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer on the radio show had the following notes

- there will be no more main roster cuts

Listening to it now, he didn't necessarily say there would be no more main roster cuts. Just that he *thinks* there probably won't be anymore.

I'm saying that not to be a smart ass, but just so no one will be all up in arms if or when more names come out.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco