DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Word, this sounds great.  Can't wait to resume coronavirus stress drinking around 8pm with some great wrestling.

I'm all ready for Dynamite. My refrigerator is stocked with enough Summer Shandy to get me through the next few nights.

• Thanks 1

I liked it. It wasn't perfect, but the show flowed and Hager and Mox put in the time and went hard. Mox's postmatch promo into the camera cracked me up. 

"Wanna meet me behind the Waffle House? We'll do it there..."

• Haha 1

It was another decent show with some fun squashes.  The main was pretty solid but nothing crazy.  What do you expect with Hager out there?  JR shouldn't have been the only one calling it either.  I liked the little prediction videos from MMA and wrestling guys.

Britt was awesome, as usual.

Jericho and Tony were leagues ahead of JR, in terms of enthusiasm for false finishes, near falls, etc.  When JR is doing voiceover type stuff, he always seems like he is just going through the motions, moreso than usual.  

The other two non-squashes were pretty solid, as well, even though the Cabana/Archer match was nearly a squash anyways.  Cabana had a little offense and a couple comebacks and that's it.  

Overall, again, it was pretty decent, nothing spectacular but nothing bad.  Solid fun.

• Like 1

Another solid show. I liked Archer/Cabana and Chuckie T./Kip Sabian. I like the set-up for OC vs. Jimmy Havoc next week. 

I was hoping Sugar Dunkerton/Sammy was going to be less of a squash. I really want Suge to get signed when things are back to semi-normal.

Britt has been gold since her heel turn. I'm glad AEW paid attention and stopped trying to shoehorn her into Kylie Rae's spot. Britt Baker should never be a face again.

I'm not an MMA fan, but going the MMA route was the best type of match involving Hager as @For Great Justice said. I liked Mox breaking out the Bret Hart style figure four. Now, that Mox has gone through the entire Inner Circle, I wonder who's next for him. I'd like a Mox/MJF program, but it's way too soon. Maybe Mox/Pac. 

Agree that this was a solid episode. Loved the build up for the main event throughout with the MMA personalities chiming in, cool little touch. Pretty good brawl that got a ton of time. Archer looked great again. Britt's looked better than ever as of late for sure. Penelope's diving rana is killer when she nails it. Loved Jericho's "I wear leather pants too!" . I wonder if they go back to Jericho/Moxley II if this is the crew leading up to Double or Nothing. 

8 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I'm not sure Pac will be able to make it back to the US for the PPV...although he would be great.

They have 4 weeks to build a challenger. And I'm at a loss who they could slot in ?

Fuck, somehow that slipped my mind. Jericho rematch, I suppose?

• Like 1

30 minutes of empty arena Hager with only JR on commentary? I can’t imagine ever being that desperate for entertainment. I’m sure everybody is trying their best, but no. 

Buyrates for this dumb PPV are going to be in the toilet, right? 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

32 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Could they heat up Penta enough to main event?

I think it would be easy to heat up Pentagon to main event against Moxley. Would they have enough time? I don't know.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

30 minutes of empty arena Hager with only JR on commentary? I can’t imagine ever being that desperate for entertainment. I’m sure everybody is trying their best, but no. 

Buyrates for this dumb PPV are going to be in the toilet, right? 

We're sitting here discussing the show, so some of us are. Am I desperate to be entertained and have something else to think about besides COVID19? Yes, I am. I'm going F'N stir crazy with nothing to do everyday. I'll buy the ppv because I want to be entertained.

• Like 5

The main didn’t live up to the promise of the first 5-10 minutes, but it was okay. I’ve been higher on JR in AEW than a lot people, but that was rough. He was hung out to dry though; it was pretty clear he wasn’t given any information about the stips and he was flying blind. Also, when he does VO it sounds exactly like his video game work and it’s distracting.  

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We're sitting here discussing the show, so some of us are. Am I desperate to be entertained and have something else to think about besides COVID19? Yes, I am. I'm going F'N stir crazy with nothing to do everyday. I'll buy the ppv because I want to be entertained.

Sure, but there’s a lot of entertainment out there. We’re drowning in content. As far as thinking about something other than the virus goes, I find my attempts to watch empty-arena wrestling have the opposite effect. 

Enjoy the PPV. Hope it’s satisfactory. But I’m most interested in the buy rate. I’m really curious to see how many people are willing to blow that kind of money on  three hours of a wrestling-like product in this environment. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I’m going to order the ppv but I doubt I’ll be very excited about it. Just got the notice this morning about getting my tickets refunded. 

As @Casey said, the crew we’ve seen the last few weeks is the same crew that will be on tv through the ppv. No bucks, no death triangle, no hangman. It sucks. What’s up with Kenny though? Is he one of the people who is simply uncomfortable with working?