DVDVR Message Board

Raw is AAA - 4/13/2020

Dolfan in NYC

True on all accounts. He hasn't been consistently good since, what, 97? And even then, he was a third rate Bobby Heenan.

(Though, to be fair, at least he's the one guy on either main roster show with any personality in the booth whatsoever. It's a really bad personality, but, I mean, I'm not convinced Byron and Tom aren't secretly Siri and Alexa (not Bliss)

• Like 2

i believe he also said that the Street Profits are drinking Kool Aid in their red Solo Cups.  While not as bad as Ramen Noodle Suplex still pretty bad.  Listen I hear people who throw out the "cancel culture at it again" talk about how Lawler has always been this way.   that is true  but unfortunately for them wrestling fans are actually slightly smarter than during the Attitude Era  We aren't going to wrestling shows with an oversized Cartman doll yelling SUCK IT every 10 minutes

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peck said:

In this day and age, should we be doing angles where husbands tell their wives to "Shut the hell up"?

Only if she gets her heat back by hitting him with a comically large baker’s rolling pin. 

While there's various buzz words regarding Lawler being thrown around on Twitter (cancel culture, snowflakes, etc) it really is quite simple.  The guy is an out-of-touch old man in a company run by an even more out-of-touch old man.  Saying "ramen noodle moonsault" would have been offensive then and it sure as shit now.  And it wasn't even a moonsault that was done FFS.  The fucker needs to stay home and never commentate again.

But to not make this an entirely negative post goddamn is Asuka an absolute treasure.  I don't know if the empty arena vibe would have allowed her room to do all this I'm sure glad she is.

• Like 2

As as much as I think that there are way way way too many offshoots of the Los Ingobernables, at least the main core of the group have the original or close to original members:

ROH, AAA, CMLL - Rush

New Japan - Naito

WWE - La Sombra (Andrade)

If AEW or Impact starts doing a version of this then we have our jump the shark moment.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hammerva said:

As as much as I think that there are way way way too many offshoots of the Los Ingobernables, at least the main core of the group have the original or close to original members:

ROH, AAA, CMLL - Rush

New Japan - Naito

WWE - La Sombra (Andrade)

If AEW or Impact starts doing a version of this then we have our jump the shark moment.   

With an attitude like that, you're really going to hate the WWE Los Ingobernbles led by Zack Ryder,

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Asuka is either having a ball entertaining herself or is losing her mind in isolation. Either way, she's the best part of Raw every week.

If you watch her videos, the former.

if you don’t, the latter. 

• Like 2

Guest Edwin
6 hours ago, hammerva said:

wrestling fans are actually slightly smarter than during the Attitude Era  We aren't going to wrestling shows with an oversized Cartman doll yelling SUCK IT every 10 minutes

tenor.gif

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

True on all accounts. He hasn't been consistently good since, what, 97? And even then, he was a third rate Bobby Heenan.

(Though, to be fair, at least he's the one guy on either main roster show with any personality in the booth whatsoever. It's a really bad personality, but, I mean, I'm not convinced Byron and Tom aren't secretly Siri and Alexa (not Bliss)

Actually, I think if you go back and watch him, you'll find he's never been good.

I watched a 2 hour block of 94 WWF weekend shows recently and Lawler was DREADFUL: makes repeated references to how upset Mr. Fuji is going to be with jobber Pat Tanaka despite the fact Fuji was not managing him (This is  when Tanaka was doing some jobs as a singles wrestler, not as part of the Orient Express) then talks about Yokozuna and Tanaka even though they had had on interactions together; references  Razor Ramon who is full-on Cuban-ish at this point having stolen most of his gold and how his car speakers are stolen from a Drive-Int and, worst of all, talked about how upset Bam Bam Bigelow would be when he "got a look at the mug" of WWE interviewer Bonnie Blackstone, then proceeded to make dog whistles and go "Here girl! Here Bonnie!".  To be fair, though, Heenan does a lot of these thing, too but his feels less cringe-y, and more of someone playing a character.

10 minutes ago, caley said:

Actually, I think if you go back and watch him, you'll find he's never been good.

I watched a 2 hour block of 94 WWF weekend shows recently and Lawler was DREADFUL: makes repeated references to how upset Mr. Fuji is going to be with jobber Pat Tanaka despite the fact Fuji was not managing him (This is  when Tanaka was doing some jobs as a singles wrestler, not as part of the Orient Express) then talks about Yokozuna and Tanaka even though they had had on interactions together; references  Razor Ramon who is full-on Cuban-ish at this point having stolen most of his gold and how his car speakers are stolen from a Drive-Int and, worst of all, talked about how upset Bam Bam Bigelow would be when he "got a look at the mug" of WWE interviewer Bonnie Blackstone, then proceeded to make dog whistles and go "Here girl! Here Bonnie!".  To be fair, though, Heenan does a lot of these thing, too but his feels less cringe-y, and more of someone playing a character.

BTW, watching these things is really funny and weird.  It's about 4 months into Razor's face-turn and he's still doing all the same Razor-isms, like he hands his belt to the ringside attendant and tells him to protect the gold "cuz if something happens to it, something's going to happen to you!" then throws his toothpick in the guy's face and Vince McMahon does his HUGE belly-laugh (The only time he laughs harder in the two hour block is when Doink trips Bam Bam with a tripwire) while Lawler says he's a jerk.  Also, Tony Halme is all over this thing: crushing jobbers, battling Luger to an even match, ending Tatanka's undefeated streak (The latter showing that WWE has never really understood how to book an undefeated streak, nor how to use it to get someone over as here Borga hits Tatanka with a chair to end the streak so he doesn't really get the rub of winning because he cheated to do it, and Tatanka loses his streak for no real reason).

3 hours ago, caley said:

BTW, watching these things is really funny and weird.  It's about 4 months into Razor's face-turn and he's still doing all the same Razor-isms, like he hands his belt to the ringside attendant and tells him to protect the gold "cuz if something happens to it, something's going to happen to you!" then throws his toothpick in the guy's face and Vince McMahon does his HUGE belly-laugh (The only time he laughs harder in the two hour block is when Doink trips Bam Bam with a tripwire) while Lawler says he's a jerk.  Also, Tony Halme is all over this thing: crushing jobbers, battling Luger to an even match, ending Tatanka's undefeated streak (The latter showing that WWE has never really understood how to book an undefeated streak, nor how to use it to get someone over as here Borga hits Tatanka with a chair to end the streak so he doesn't really get the rub of winning because he cheated to do it, and Tatanka loses his streak for no real reason).

Ludvig Borga completely dominated that match and didn't even have to hit Tatanka with a chair to win. Really weird booking there.

3 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Ludvig Borga complaNDetely dominated that match and didn't even have to hit Tatanka with a chair to win. Really weird booking there.

And then pinned him with one finger!  I mean, I guess they had big plans later derailed by injury but the other question is "Why him?"  His promos and matches didn't garner any heat, they were deadly dull and the crowd boos him because he's your generic foreign heel not because of any real large level of interest.  Like there are any number of guys whom they could plug into that spot, why Halme?!

To me looking back Tony Halme had “It”. I know It’s a cliche at this point, but he truly was Brock before Brock was a thing. He had the legit badass background, mixed in with a total dirtbag personality. Just watch him post-WWE working for the R-Rated WMAC, Fight Zone(@ 3:00 in). 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Guest Edwin

You know something sucks when talk about 90's commentators and footage of an old none wrestling PPV is more interesting than the show being discussed at hand itself.

14 hours ago, hammerva said:

i believe he also said that the Street Profits are drinking Kool Aid in their red Solo Cups.  While not as bad as Ramen Noodle Suplex still pretty bad.  Listen I hear people who throw out the "cancel culture at it again" talk about how Lawler has always been this way.   that is true  but unfortunately for them wrestling fans are actually slightly smarter than during the Attitude Era  We aren't going to wrestling shows with an oversized Cartman doll yelling SUCK IT every 10 minutes

I don't get it.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There is a stereotype that black people love Kool-Aid.

This only adds fuel to New Jack's USWA story about Jerry Lawler (and Jerry Jarrett). Even Lawler's black stereotypes are from 1992.