DVDVR Message Board

Your New Bright and Shiny HOF Thread

OSJ

Jimmy Edmonds is one of the finest players I've ever seen, that he isn't in the HOF is a travesty and an indictment that the BBWA don't know what they are seeing over half the time.  Odd, but  I find two of my guys that I constantly bang on about on the list, well make that three... Indian Bob Johnson, Minnie Minoso, and Reggie Smith. Time has not been kind to Reggie Smith, the numbers he put up in a pitcher dominated era are astonishing, but the "other" Reggie got all the ink and Smith, a quiet man who went about his business with a deadly efficiency was forgotten. Bob Johnson should have been inducted years ago, the man is long since dead and can't enjoy the honor now, but I imagine he has family that would like to see this fifty+ year oversight corrected. Minoso should be in, I don't give a damn about what the stats say, he didn't hit the majors until he was almost 24 (and I suspect that he was older than that), but managed to put together an awesome, if somewhat short career. Considering that he lost who knows how many years to the color barrier, (I'll go out on a limb here and say that I've always thought he was closer to 27 than 23 when he debuted, meaning that he left six to eight seasons of prime production back in the Negro Leagues.) I can't prove it, so we have to go with what we know, and what we know is a brilliant career, somewhat truncated. He belongs.