DVDVR Message Board

SDL Is Braun's Funhouse - 4/10/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Still a disappointing show for WWE.

WWE has a state of the art training facility that can make great new talents and polish up top stars very well, with very good success for a wrestling school.

It runs a number of shows in Florida that fine tune gimmicks and helps polish new stars to get them ready for a more national audience.

And then you have NXT- their finishing school for developmental stars, a popular show that can make big cult followings for talents and get people truly ready for the next step to make them as big of stars as they could possibly be.

I guess what I'm saying is...there were many, many checks and balances in place that should have made it so we would never have to say the words "WWE Superstar Gunner", and yet somehow, here we are.

• Haha 2

Kabuki Warriors vs. BlissCross rematch was pretty good once again. Thought the segment backstage for Dana and Carmella gettign their shot was decent enough.

The Dirt Sheet segment was decent enough.

The Tamina/Sasha/Bayley segment was almost surprisingly decent. I don't recall Tamina being passable on the mic at all before, but she did fine here.

The Bray/Braun segment was good but definitely too early.

Do you think that at some point during the HHH Celebration, that there might be a cake? If so, I have a totally original idea: Someone should get thrown... get this... OMG it would be so funny... someone should get thrown *into* the cake!! Could you imagine? That would be some hilarious and groundbreaking comedy that would shock everyone and never get old. I'm so excited about this idea that I am going to go and cross-post it everywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seriously the Forgotten Sons are on the main roster now?   Man they are a boring act to me.  Maybe they will end up being like Lacey Evans or Braun and will get better and most interesting but at least the 2 I mentioned had months of house shows to get that way.  

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Seriously the Forgotten Sons are on the main roster now?   Man they are a boring act to me.  Maybe they will end up being like Lacey Evans or Braun and will get better and most interesting but at least the 2 I mentioned had months of house shows to get that way.  

I'm glad you told me Lacey Evans has gotten more interesting.  I seriously had no idea that was the case.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

They have an opportunity if they play their cards right to make Forgotten Sons the tag team version of Corbin - naturally and organically over as heels because there's an irrational hatred towards them for being "Vince type guys" instead of indy darlings. This is, of course, based almost entirely on the former Gunner. If Cutler and Blake had been pushed as a duo from the outset, I'd bet on them getting less hate and being called up sooner.

32 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

They have an opportunity if they play their cards right to make Forgotten Sons the tag team version of Corbin - naturally and organically over as heels because there's an irrational hatred towards them for being "Vince type guys" instead of indy darlings. This is, of course, based almost entirely on the former Gunner. If Cutler and Blake had been pushed as a duo from the outset, I'd bet on them getting less hate and being called up sooner.

Well, even then that's the big weakness. Outside of the fact that "upon closer inspection, Jaxson Ryker is still TAFKA Gunner", on paper the Forgotten Sons would possibly have more of a chance.

Steve Cutler was never BAD, per se- forgettable as hell, but never good or bad enough to make you take notice either way (which, combined with how long the was in developmental, is perfectly cromulent for "okay. Go to the main roster, sink or swim")...and even beyond that level, there's at least a fair reason to believe Wesley Blake could genuinely be a diamond in the rough (Blake and Murphy were a solid team, with neither one of the two being noticeably better than the other, and since Buddy Murphy's managed to do very well since going to the main roster, it's not implausible to assume Blake could be pretty good on the main roster as well.) 

Indeed, if it wasn't for Gunner sinking the whole thing, it's "fair enough."

I'm not convinced Corbin has any heat except change the channel heat. I don't know about a smackdown, but when he was on RAW, every time they announced he was in the main event, the next day the reports were "the third hour dropped significantly more than usual"

• Like 1

I think the consensus on the Sons is that they’re solid hands who are well respected by other wrestlers but lack the charisma or star presence to ever connect with fans. Blake alone has had so many chances. My guess is they got the call up because they needed a heel team to replace The Revival, and NXT didn’t have anything for them, so they were a logical fill-in.  I doubt there are any real plans for them, at this point.

16 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Has he? It's pretty much just the two tag teams, and it's not like the Sons got much of a push.

He had two (brief) singles runs that bookended the team with Murphy.  The one after their split was really pretty sad and I felt bad for him.

I think the Sons were given more opportunities than you remember.  They went to the finals of the 2019 Dusty Classic.  They had shots at the tag titles, including a showcase ladder match at a Takeover.  Speaking of which, after the Street Profits won the belts there, the Sons went around the horn with them on the house show circuit.  You’d think if they were generating any kind of traction at all in those matches (against a red hot baby face act), then that would’ve led to more TV time for them, but it didn’t, which probably tells you a lot.  

At a certain point, you’ve just got to produce results or the opportunities dry up, which is the situation they’ve been in for the last while.

30 minutes ago, EVA said:

He had two (brief) singles runs that bookended the team with Murphy.  The one after their split was really pretty sad and I felt bad for him.

I think the Sons were given more opportunities than you remember.  They went to the finals of the 2019 Dusty Classic.  They had shots at the tag titles, including a showcase ladder match at a Takeover.  Speaking of which, after the Street Profits won the belts there, the Sons went around the horn with them on the house show circuit.  You’d think if they were generating any kind of traction at all in those matches (against a red hot baby face act), then that would’ve led to more TV time for them, but it didn’t, which probably tells you a lot.  

At a certain point, you’ve just got to produce results or the opportunities dry up, which is the situation they’ve been in for the last while.

What is the Sons' gimmick anyway?  I've asked this before and never gotten a definitive answer.  I thought they were supposed to be bikers, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

They’re former vets who have been forgotten by their country.

Gunner almost never wrestled (Especially after that time they apparently had to refill a finish two or three times) and is basically just a manager, so it’s not like he’s ruining things left and right.

6 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

What is the Sons' gimmick anyway?  I've asked this before and never gotten a definitive answer.  I thought they were supposed to be bikers, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Like a great many latter day NXT gimmicks, it’s really ill-defined (quick, what was Sanity about?).

When Ryker initially joined, they leaned into his and Cutler’s military background, making it almost like a team of surly, disillusioned vets.  They even had Lacy Evans paired with them on the house shows for a while.  But I guess somebody decided that wasn’t a good look for a company that does so much work with the military, and that has been HEAVILY de-emphasized, to the point that you wouldn’t know it unless you were really tuned into developmental.  They have been the epitome of Just Some Guys ever since.