DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 4/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Only two matches advertised for tonight:

The Last Chance Ladder Match for entry to the NXT Women's Championship #1 Contender Match 

"One Last Beat" - Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Only two matches advertised for tonight:

The Last Chance Ladder Match for entry to the NXT Women's Championship #1 Contender Match 

"One Last Beat" - Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa

Pretty sure the ladder match tonight is to crown a #1 contender.

• Like 1

Yeah so I guess I will be in the minority but Orton vs Edge was better.   Really the only benefit Gargano vs Ciampa had was no commentary but the commercial offsets that advantage for me.  Also doesn't help that you can tell this was taped around 3 in the morning because you can literally hear the crickets

And yeah based on this there is nothing that makes me think this feud is over

And for some reason Killer Kross and Scarlett Bordeaux just happened to be parked next to Johnny and Candice's car watching

Edited by hammerva

I liked the ladder match.

Indus Sher don't impress me at all, but i dug the team they fought.

I'm still not sure if I will even bother with Gargano/Ciampa. They have most of the last hour and that frightens me.

50 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I liked the ladder match.

Indus Sher don't impress me at all, but i dug the team they fought.

I'm still not sure if I will even bother with Gargano/Ciampa. They have most of the last hour and that frightens me.

If you like them, I recommend their Chikara work where they were known as 2.0, The Badd Brothers, and 3.0.

• Like 2

Also it is painfully clear that Shawn Michaels doesn't watch any kind of MMA because if he did he would realize that wearing a cup and getting kicked in the dick STILL FUCKING HURTS ?

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 5

Haven't watched Gargano/Ciampa yet mainly for what I said in the NXT TakeOver: Portland 2020 thread...

Cole/Ciampa. Too OTT, little selling, too long, finisher kickouts and looks like we get Gargano vs. Ciampa resume from when it was left with Ciampa's neck surgery. I thought that series should've been put to bed when that happened, Gargano beating Cole for the vacant NXT Championship and Ciampa celebrating with Johnny/Candice. Least favourite match on the show.

I didn't watch Gargano/Ciampa and don't plan on doing so. But they have a huge problem right now in that they have a lot of time to fill and a lot of issues filling it. How much talent do they even have available right now? They have to fill all of that up, and an hour long match is how they can do it. I sort of get the feeling that's why Edge/Orton was so horribly long, too. 

I haven't watched a lot of NXT but it seems like they are the one promotion who is still putting on a good amount of matches. The first week of empty NXT shows was basically a 2 hour recap of the feud and this week was a little different because technically this a "Takeover" show for 2 of the 3 or 4 matches on the show.  And of course it is a Gargano and/or Ciampa main event match so it has to be a dumb level amount of long.   The only talent that I would think in NXT that they have no access to is foreign talent not living in Orlando like Pete Dunne and I guess now Jordan Devlin since they are making an 'Interim" cruiserweight title

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

I didn't watch Gargano/Ciampa and don't plan on doing so. But they have a huge problem right now in that they have a lot of time to fill and a lot of issues filling it. How much talent do they even have available right now? They have to fill all of that up, and an hour long match is how they can do it. I sort of get the feeling that's why Edge/Orton was so horribly long, too. 

I can’t believe this is a serious question coming from our resident NXT superfan.  They have damn near 100 people signed to developmental right now, all of whom (with a very few exceptions) live in the Orlando area.  There is not shortage of available bodies down there.  This match was an exercise in masturbatory excess because that’s what HHH and HBK envisioned it as.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't going to watch Gargano vs Ciampa, but I still tried. I tried really hard, but I had to fast forward through a lot. It's saying something when this was as overdone and as boring if not more so than Edge vs Orton. No more. No more of these 30 minute matches where each guy is acting like they're about to die. I'm fucking done with it. They're trying to make epics and think "Match Length + Overdramatic Selling * (Near Falls + MDK Moves)" is the formula for that. It's not. I know a lot of people here will disagree with me, but I thought the Gargano vs Cole 2/3 falls match was great, but even then I thought "Jesus, when is thing going to fucking end?" I've watched a lot of long ass matches, but not everything needs to be this long.

Ladder match was fine, but even then, ladder matches are really overdone at this point. Jesus.

• Like 1

If these guys and gals are going to keep going through the motions during their entrance like a live crowd is there (taunting, climbing the turnbuckles, etc) then at least put wrestlers in the crowd 6ft apart or whatever. It comes off as really weird watching Tegan Nox do her poses and shit to an empty arena, facing the hard cam. Ladder matches in front of a crowd of absolutely 0 people are dumb ideas. Don't do it. This would have been a fine 6 way elimination match or something.

On a positive note, though, I'm glad Io Shirai won. I'll watch the fuck out of Io vs Charlotte.

I watched up until that tag team match with the guys Malcolm Bivens is managing. Then I got bored and played Far Cry 5 instead.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 6:07 PM, Hagan said:

The Kross/Scarlett tease at the end of the show was interesting as pairing them together is the BEST possible use of her, though them as babyfaces going against the Garganos is whatever. 

So, as someone who has never seen Scarlett and has only seen Kross as The White Rabbit in Lucha Underground(that was him, right?) can anybody recommend some "Good shit" of theirs to check out?

My petty nitpicks about gargano/ciampa

1- stupid lighting, why black out the arena just to throw those giant spotlights all over? Feels like I'm watching The Flash on CW where Flash always conceals his face by standing in front of bright GLARING lights. To me this was JJ Abrams: Lens flare the match

2- if they're going to exclude commentary and let them shit talk each other using a cinematic lens for the match, why censor all the cuss words with bleeps for Gotch sake? If you don't want the audience at home hearing them cussing, mute the bad words and stop bleeping it like we're watching family programming at four in the afternoon. That's a pet peeve of mine but if we're going for a cinematic look without commentary, bleeping the cuss words is just about as frustrating as the lens flares with all those spotlight shots

3- ciampa takes a good few minutes to expose the boards beneath the mat to make the bumps extra hurty. I get that part. Instead they take a giant bump to the outside and the moment they get back in the ring with all the exposed hardwood planks, they start trading shots with the crutch?? 

I feel like I went into this with curiosity about how it would play out, being the one final match, but that curiosity is rewarded with stupid lighting, especially the exterior shots in the parking lot, and match logic that makes no sense. "I've stripped the mat down to the boards, then spend 10ish minutes or so with the exposed floor untouched so I can hit this guy with a crutch over and over." Fuck me for giving it a chance.