DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I was just thinking, maybe Hardy should turn on The Elite. Hardy being a goofy face in B&G especially after all these Coronavirus episodes won’t be good for the buildup of that match if this happens the way it was originally scheduled. Also, Hardy as the Inner Circle’s spiritual advisors would probably be better suited for the immobile Hardy, than as another Dustin Rhodes-like vet role.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

10 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Why "Murderhawk Monster" and not just "Murderhawk?" It's weird how WWE it makes it sound just by making it two words unnecessarily.

Exactly what i thought. I imagined Vince saying "Murderhawk? No hawk is gonna murder me. He should be a MONSTER! the Murderhawk Monster! YEAH that's good shit!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Shawn Spears annoys the fuck out of me.  I think it's because he has like 18 gimmicks.  Seriously, when we're running normal shows, he has Tully, an elaborate entrance, a chair, a hood/scarf, sometimes an anti garbage wrestling t-shirt, a mohawk, some kind of combination skull/maple leaf on his tights, the "chairman" nickname, and still makes references to his old gimmick.  I have no clue what he's supposed to be but it's all so tryhard, especially on a guy who is so bland in the ring. 

To paraphrase the wise words of Coco Chanel, dude needs to look in the mirror before leaving the tunnel and take off about 5 gimmicks.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Shawn Spears annoys the fuck out of me.  I think it's because he has like 18 gimmicks.  Seriously, when we're running normal shows, he has Tully, an elaborate entrance, a chair, a hood/scarf, sometimes an anti garbage wrestling t-shirt, a mohawk, some kind of combination skull/maple leaf on his tights, the "chairman" nickname, and still makes references to his old gimmick.  I have no clue what he's supposed to be but it's all so tryhard, especially on a guy who is so bland in the ring. 

To paraphrase the wise words of Coco Chanel, dude needs to look in the mirror before leaving the tunnel and take off about 5 gimmicks.

You would think DDP would sit him down and tell him that since he was told the same thing at one point.

• Like 1

It has historically been a pinfall situation presumable because you have them pinned to the mat by way of tangling up their legs?

Look, I don't fucking know. All I know is that Ric Flair won multiple times pinning wrestlers with the Figure 4. Meltzer also brought up one that I forgot, which was pinning Macho Man with the Figure 4. Reddit brought up other times where he beat Eddy with it via pinfall.

In this case here, I read it as Spears was too paralyzed from the pain to get his shoulders up off the mat.

I have memories of Flair pinning the Bobby Walkers and Craig Pitmans of the world with it on Saturday Night or Worldwide (often with Woman holding Flair's hands for some mythical extra leverage). I didn't get it then, and I still don't get it now.

I'm not saying I need it to make sense, because we're watching wrestling. But if there's a reason, it would be nice to know.

Any time a wrestler has both shoulderblades on the mat and their opponent is making physical contact with them, the referee should be counting the shoulders. Don't see what's hard to understand about that. What irks me is when two guys are doing a double knockdown spot and they're touching, and the ref isn't counting the pinfall. 

Pinfall is around 3:40. Spears was "paralyzed", but could still do spirit fingers as his way of selling. This finish looks less stupid if they have him pass out from the pain for a three count.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Pinfall is around 3:40. Spears was "paralyzed", but could still do spirit fingers as his way of selling. This finish looks less stupid if they have him pass out from the pain for a three count.

Passing out from pain is a babyface thing, though. He really should’ve just given up. I really don’t understand this finish. I mean it makes more sense than Ciampa falling asleep before being pinned, but it’s still silly for somebody like Spears to look strong in his loss. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 6:59 AM, MORELOCK said:

Why "Murderhawk Monster" and not just "Murderhawk?" It's weird how WWE it makes it sound just by making it two words unnecessarily.

I would laugh and laugh if Lance Archer just went by Murderhawk.  Hawks may be birds of prey, but they are small animals compared to other predators and Lance is a gigantic dude.  Adding the word "monster" accurately captures how big he is and the alliteration in his nickname is gravy.

I didn't particularly care for the Hawk nickname when JBL used it when he first ran in the WWE.  Dude is too big to be a fucking hawk.  I would expect a heel worker with PAC or Ricochet's moveset to use just Murderhawk as a moniker.

Will Osprey = Perfect Gimmick name for his movez.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

What about Koko? 

Koko could fly when he wanted to, but I am a Brainbuster mark and at one point before shit got legal, he used The Bird by The Time as his entrance theme so he gets a pass.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Koko could fly when he wanted to, but I am a Brainbuster mark and at one point before shit got legal, he used The Bird by The Time as his entrance theme so he gets a pass.

Having just watched a bunch of early UWF, I love second rope drop kick Koko. And I believe he led 15 year old me to buy a copy of Ice Cream Castles.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2020 at 10:17 AM, JonnyLaw said:

You would think DDP would sit him down and tell him that since he was told the same thing at one point.

AH, thank you!  Some old wrestling story was bugging me in the back of my head relating to this exact situation and I couldn't remember it.  That was the one.

19 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I've always wondered this: What's the logic behind counting the pin on the figure 4? You're not positioned over your opponents body, why would you count to 3?

I always turned off the pin in figure 4 option in TNM because I hate that spot.  ?

I'm going to say the Murderhawk Monster nickname has less to do with Archer's flying, or lack thereof, and more to do with his hair style. His hair style is the murderhawk and Archer is the monster, hence the Murderhawk Monster.

As @J.T. mentioned, Will Ospreay is the perfect name for his style, as is "The Sniper of the Skies" Robbie Eagles.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I remember refs sometimes counting the pin when both the wrestlers shoulders were on the mat regardless whether you were on them, or not. At least I believe I saw that in Mexico.

I'll go further and say that I've seen pins counted when shoulders were on the mat from a figure four or similar leg submission before in the States, it's just that I've never seen anyone actually get the three off it. That had to have happened in, say, a Flair/Steamboat match. 

28 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'll go further and say that I've seen pins counted when shoulders were on the mat from a figure four or similar leg submission before in the States, it's just that I've never seen anyone actually get the three off it. That had to have happened in, say, a Flair/Steamboat match. 

Ric Flair beat Randy Savage by pinfall with the figure four to win his second WWF championship after copious amounts of interference from Razor Ramon.

• Like 3