DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Really loved Baker/Shida, awesome match and the blood added a lot to the intensity. Easily Britt's best match I think, she was great here and Shida is absolutely on fire. I wish they'd put the title on Shida when she gets her shot but I doubt they take it off Nyla that soon. Thought the Best Friends tag was highly entertaining and made for a pretty good match as well. Fun squashes and a super solid main event. These shows just continue to have a great energy throughout. Excellent videos building up Hager/Moxley as something special. Can't wait for Jericho/Matt in the Elite Deletion. 

• Like 3

Ladies match was really good, squashes were fun. Any match with Nakazawa automatically sucks, and they managed to make their one quality official look like a schmuck by not enforcing rules in the main event. 

Jericho-Skeeavone broadcast duo was great. 

Jobber Spears kicking out of two Cross Rhodes was ridiculous, and then he just laid there and lost to a figure four. 

• Like 1

Shida/Baker was pretty good but the blood made it. Really hope they can get a feud rolling with those two, I think they can easily build off of tonight’s match. 

Two big guy squash matches? Hell yeah, dude. Brodie looked better this time and I’m getting used to the new gear. Archer was dope as always.

3 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Jobber Spears kicking out of two Cross Rhodes was ridiculous, and then he just laid there and lost to a figure four. 

That was a wild ending. Spears is put over by kicking out of two finishers but then becomes the first guy in decades to get pinned by a leg submission. Cody must be okay with the Cross Rhodes being devalued or he’s really into the Figure 4 (for Blood and Guts, whenever that happens). At any rate, not sure it made anyone look good but it stood out at least. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Yeah that was ridiculous. I was expecting a new submission finisher, or something after that, but instead we got a weird pin off a figure four. I assume Darby will counter the attempt into a small package. Still weird finish to the main event.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Holy shit was Shida vs Baker ever good. Baker's bloody, crazy looking face was fucking awesome. That might be my favorite AEW women's match.

Rest of the show was a lot of fun. Jericho and Skee-a-vone killed it all night even if it was a little weird to hear Jericho cheering on Kenny.

Suge D and that pineapple shirt. Way to go and stand out dude. That's like Christian levels of standing out a ton when you're given nothing to do.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Nakazawa is auto-suck for me, too. The world needs jobbers and I get he's Kenny's boy. But for a show that consciously has of lot of WCW spiritual succession in its approach, surely we can find some Gamblers and Roadblocks out there. Nak is just terrible.

Some of the guys they've been using on Dark would make for fine jobbers.

Not Sugar Dunkerton, of course. He should be above job guy.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I was half-paying attention but did Frank Gastineau(formerly of MLW fame) referee a match tonight? I remember Jericho saying he mocked a new ref earlier and Tony mentioned Gastineau by name in response but I don’t recall if he actually appeared later in the night.

22 minutes ago, Peck said:

I was half-paying attention but did Frank Gastineau(formerly of MLW fame) referee a match tonight? I remember Jericho saying he mocked a new ref earlier and Tony mentioned Gastineau by name in response but I don’t recall if he actually appeared later in the night.

He didn't, but he probably worked Dark.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, Peck said:

He's part of the ring crew.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterien said:

It could just be me but that Matt Hardy segment was cringeworthy.

Yeah that wasn’t very good. On the other hand I liked this weeks Brodie Lee segment. I think the WWE dress code policy gave him some material to work with for this segment. He came off both classy, and intimidating. Might have even been a back door explanation for all of them wearing business casual. Also was that the old WCW/Turner office that DX tried to first invade in the 90’s?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Baker asking for the ref's glove before going for the lockjaw was tremendous.  Was that a coronavirus precaution?  I'm just going to pretend it was no matter what, because that's awesome.

Really good match.  There were some botches and parts where both weren't on the same page, but the fortuitous juice made up for it.

That tag match was my jam, just goofy as fuck.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

So last week Archer hits a vertical biel suplex, and this week an overhead belly-to-belly suplex, but from a chokeslam position. Chris Kanyon “Innovator of Offense”, Tommy Dreamer “Innovator of Violence”, and now Lance Archer “Innovator of Murder”(?).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dewar said:

I think they were just trying to let Spears go out on his shield in a protective kind of way.   He took two Cross Rhodes but had nothing left to resist the Figure Four.  Establishes that he is a tough dude but not invulnerable.

There isn't enough love for the Power Rankings segment.  I used to love the old WCW Worldwide ranking segment where the unwritten rule was that the current US Heavyweight title holder was automatically the #2 contender.

Edited by J.T.

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

There isn't enough love for the Power Rankings segment.  I used to love the old unwritten WCW Worldwide ranking segment where the unwritten rule was that the current US Heavyweight title holder was automatically the #2 contender.

If they do that again they need to bring Tony in to record a segment for it. Excalibur did not sound enthusiastic reading this from his hone office. Or they could’ve had Jen Decker doing this too, since she does this for the YouTube channel.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1