DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is WrestleMania IX - 4/6/2020

Dolfan in NYC

This was a weird, weird show.  The first hour being all Street Profits and Bianca's repeated debuts.  

Then Apollo Crews got 30+?

And so many NXT squashes...

And then Drew semi-heeling with Big Show(?!) coming out to challenge?  Well, at least he retained. 

• Haha 1

Show brought the 1976 offense tonight. Not complaining. Cool idea to run an “after the show last night” bit and I thought we had a nice double false narrative going with “will they put the belt on Show due to the Netflix deal” and “oh this is the first challenger monster of the month thing like Bryan/Kane”. So brownie pints for doing something unique.

Whole show felt like a Superstars taping, where we just got to also see the dark match main.

I decided to give Raw a shot. I enjoyed Apollo/Aleister, although I hated Saxton and the other guy acting as if this could lead to something for Apollo. I really enjoyed Cedric & Ricochet vs. Burch & Lorcan. I'd like to see Cedric and Ricochet go after the tag titles. At least, it would be better than chasing after the 24/7 title. The rest I didn't pay attention to and eventually decided to watch some Zona 23.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Black/Crews going almost 30 was wild, but it was good.

Drew/Show was weird as fuck that they did it on the Mania set up instead of just as the RAW main, but it was good.

Kind of skipped Black/Crews. Is it so good its worth going back to check out?

Dug Asuka/Liv and the post Wrestlemania interviews. I skipped around or had most of the matches on background noise.

37 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Kind of skipped Black/Crews. Is it so good its worth going back to check out?

I'd say no. Crews is mechanically fine but is just devoid of any in-ring personality or presence, and over that long a time you really need at least something in that regard.

• Like 1

Weirdest thing I noticed tonight, WWE moving away from showing highlights of previous PPV with audio over still photos (Which I always thought was so incredibly dumb) BUT now showing highlights but fading to black on the three-counts as if that is THE money shot of a WWE match like "Damn, I saw all the high spots of that Lesnar-Drew match but I didn't see the physical three-count only heard it and now I HAVE to order it just so I can see that hand hit the mat three times". 

If WWE knew how to book face vs. face matches without making one of them look like an idiot, I would love to see Kevin Owens parlay his big win into a title match with Drew where he JUST comes up short.

Bianca Belair looks like a star.  I loved when Ford dove through the ring at the ringside camera and screamed into it while shaking and how upset it seemed to make Byron Saxton.

Nia Jax's trash-talk was hilarious where lots of time she just sounded like the sandworms from Beetlejuice.

Also loved the ludicrously underexplained "Apollo Crews is a free agent because he's a free agent now for some reason".  

4 hours ago, kenyabaxterZXW said:

giphy.gif

Victory dance

I will say Liv screaming during the final sequence of the match like she was being chased by Jason Voorhees was fantastic. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - per Meltzer (and remembering how time works), this RAW was taped before Mania

And I wonder why time no longer has any meaning

I'm just wondering when WWE announces they're moving the PC to Shang Tsung's er... I mean Dana White's island.  

I didn't look - and Lord knows I am not wasting time on that - but if I had to guess it is the usual "Why is she on TV when (insert whatever female wrestler here) isn't?!?!?!"

Deonna is that female TJP.

She’s been in almost every promotion as a utility woman. Get’s praise for being better than her current spot. Then when she finally gets a full time deal, she gets exposed as no better than the women already signed.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

16 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Looking at one of the replies to that tweet and I am super glad I'm a man. That shit must get exhaaaausting.

It's a good thing I don't use Twitter. I'd hate to see the comments directed at Deonna.