DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 36 Post Match Thread

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I liked the new colour for Rhea and Shayna's gear. Almost made it feel like Mania. 

At risk of being told to settle down, I don't think Rhea or Shayna were done favours by their new attire. Rhea's was fine, but didn't connect to her televised persona or have a clear thematic counterpoint to Charlotte - it only makes sense because we know from social media that she's into DBZ. (I contrast this to the New Day's DBZ stuff, which was more in line with their canonical WWE positioning as nerds. )

Shayna's red just overpowered the cameras and washed her out -- I'd have gone with something more evocative of either Ronda's from last year (adding white or jagged orange to her usual palette), or something with callbacks to her previous victims.

9 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

At risk of being told to settle down, I don't think Rhea or Shayna were done favours by their new attire. Rhea's was fine, but didn't connect to her televised persona or have a clear thematic counterpoint to Charlotte - it only makes sense because we know from social media that she's into DBZ. (I contrast this to the New Day's DBZ stuff, which was more in line with their canonical WWE positioning as nerds. )

Shayna's red just overpowered the cameras and washed her out -- I'd have gone with something more evocative of either Ronda's from last year (adding white or jagged orange to her usual palette), or something with callbacks to her previous victims.

While going that overwhelmingly red and that shade does have the risk of bleeding on TV, I'll say that it fits for her considering some of her outfits in the past have had featured a darker red. 

But I'll definitely give you that Rhea's was jarring considering the image she's established for herself. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

EVMm9smU8AAHgD-?format=jpg&name=large

Bret, why did you lie to Edge?

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Probably didn't want to hurt his feelings.

This and Dave Meltzer not wanting to give star ratings, he's a big Edge supporter.

Three quickies:

1. This was probably the best WrestleMania since WrestleMania XXXI.

2. It was easier getting through WrestleMania split into two nights at three hours/three hours over than recent one night WrestleMania's and lasting too long. I'm thinking back to WrestleMania XXXII, XXXIV and XXXV.

3. I hope WWE sparingly uses the cinematic styles popularized by Broken Matt Hardy/the Final Deletion match as seen in the Boneyard and Firefly Fun House matches.  I expect otherwise from them. Less is more.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

This and Dave Meltzer not wanting to give star ratings, he's a big Edge supporter.

But in fairness Dave essentially said before the show even aired that doing star ratings for a show like this where they literally stopped matches after messed up moves to do retakes would be ridiculous.

Scott Keith once claimed that he became email friends with Edge, but then Edge had a bad match, Keith reviewed it and said it wasn't good, and Edge ghosted him.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

3. I hope WWE sparingly uses the cinematic styles popularized by Broken Matt Hardy/the Final Deletion match as seen in the Boneyard and Firefly Fun House matches.  I expect otherwise from them. Less is more.

Well, it didn't take long for them to go cinematic again.  The start of Gargano/Ciampa this week had the cinematic camera style throughout the whole thing and before they started the match it had the intense music.  So I don't think this is going to be used sparingly which yes will run this into the ground.

As for Edge I'm a big supporter of his so I sure wouldn't tell him if it was bad.  It might not have been my favorite match but aside from a couple parts I remember I was busy talking to a friend the whole time anyway.  So it all worked out for me but I'm not going to bother re-watching it.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Ehhhhh... Didn’t he give out star ratings for taped Smackdown? From reading reports back in the day those guys would always re-tape blown spots in the middle of the show, and sometimes after the show too.

From what Dave has said I think the difference is that those were done before a live crowd and they couldn't just yell "cut" and do a retake. And the lack of a live crowd was also cited (I don't recall him giving star ratings to any empty arena match).

I like that Edge describes wrestling as art, it's subjective, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, "whatever blows your hair back," and then in the same breath describes people unhappy with the "match" as being malcontents who just want to complain about anything. So which is it then?

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

From what Dave has said I think the difference is that those were done before a live crowd and they couldn't just yell "cut" and do a retake. And the lack of a live crowd was also cited (I don't recall him giving star ratings to any empty arena match).

Did he give the Final Deletion a rating? I didn't think he did, but I can't remember for sure.

What about Boiler Room Brawl? Half of it was done in front of an audience, but the other half was taped.

I just don’t get his logic. I don’t like this shit anymore than he does, but if I had a rating system, and the company presented me this as a match, I’ll rate it. I’ll give it a bad rating, but I’ll still rate it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I suspect he knows he’s full of shit but doesn’t want to own up to spoiling all of the goodwill his comeback generated. It’s not like it hurt him, but even people that didn’t care for him years ago were happy to see him, and I think the honeymoon is over there. Plus, we don’t know how many matches he has left in him and he put even more mileage on his body for something that’s largely been regarded as the shits. 

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What about Boiler Room Brawl? Half of it was done in front of an audience, but the other half was taped.

I just don’t get his logic. I don’t like this shit anymore than he does, but if I had a rating system, and the company presented me this as a match, I’ll rate it. I’ll give it a bad rating, but I’ll still rate it.

Didn't rate that either