DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 36 Post Match Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Or Edge trained with Dr. Tom Pritchard for his comeback and Dr. Tom Pritchard was hung by the Dirty White Boy in one of great angles of the 1980s. Maybe they thought of that.

Maybe they didn't think at all.

Maybe it really doesn't matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Putting Charlotte in NXT is definitely NOT going to make me start watching NXT.   

I'm just so burned out on her, Sasha and Bayley; I wish they'd be rotated out of the main event scene for a year or three to allow Io, Kairi, Lacey, Nikki, Alexa, etc. take over as the main women's stars.

------------------------

One reason I'm not that fond of the current wrestling scene is because I'm so heavily influenced by late 90's All Japan.  I hate finisher spamming and I kept waiting for Braun and Drew to bust out some sort of brand new, "Burning Hammer" style move that they've never used before, to finish off Goldberg/Brock and win the title.

I mean, not an actual Burning Hammer or a move where a guy gets dropped on his head, but some sort of move that a guy only uses once or twice a year to win a big match.

Instead of hitting five Rainmakers to get the pin, how about drag your opponent onto the top turnbuckle and hit a Rainmaker that slams both of you to the canvas?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

One reason I'm not that fond of the current wrestling scene is because I'm so heavily influenced by late 90's All Japan.  I hate finisher spamming and I kept waiting for Braun and Drew to bust out some sort of brand new, "Burning Hammer" style move that they've never used before, to finish off Goldberg/Brock and win the title.

I mean, not an actual Burning Hammer or a move where a guy gets dropped on his head, but some sort of move that a guy only uses once or twice a year to win a big match.

Instead of hitting five Rainmakers to get the pin, how about drag your opponent onto the top turnbuckle and hit a Rainmaker that slams both of you to the canvas?

I can get behind a resurgence in the "wrist clutch" variations movement.

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

If this has already. been discussed forgive me, I didn't read the last 12 pages but did Charlotte go over Rhea to pop the NXT Rating? I would have went with Rhea personally.

I think Charlotte won because she's Charlotte and she always wins.

Yeah, that was Brandon from Uproxx that wrote those articles. I watched the match and then read the article as I said and boy... he's right. It could easily be some guy sitting in his basement on a bean bag theorizing over a bongload, but it makes so much sense, and Bray has been so deeply involved in the writing and performance of this character that I think Brandon nailed it. After reading the whole thing I feel like Titus looks. 

Now the question is, where do we go from here? 

Oh yeah and that was one super shitty way to crown poor Drew Mac. Take some fucking pride in your craft, Lesnar.

EDIT: Here's the article I was talking about in case you missed Smelly posting it earlier https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/firefly-funhouse-match-breakdown-references-meaning-john-cena-bray-wyatt-best-and-worst-of-wrestlemania-36/ The quote I posted before is from the "best and worst of Mania part 1" article linked at the bottom.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Or Edge trained with Dr. Tom Pritchard for his comeback and Dr. Tom Pritchard was hung by the Dirty White Boy in one of great angles of the 1980s. Maybe they thought of that.

Maybe they didn't think at all.

Maybe it really doesn't matter.

Nothing does!! In fact, why are we talking about this show, or anything else at all? Let's all just hop off the board and see what good news is coming up on our social media feeds.

In addition to being a whale of a match, that Rhea/Charlotte joint was also a glowing endorsement of the effectiveness of double sided tape. And that observation came from my wife, so don’t “netico” me...

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that NXT is getting their lunch ate by AEW every week.

Charlotte won't help that the times she appear on NXT Recently she didn't increase the ratings. 

• Like 1

yeah but what about the ratings

EDIT: That was referring to @MORELOCK, not the comment directly above me. Haha.

@Hail Sabin I know she's not a ratings booster, but the entire idea behind Charlotte being in NXT and feuding with Rhea (and winning) is to give NXT some star power because even WWE fans don't care about Adam Cole and Johnny Gargano.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if there is any match that drags anymore than the Inoki/Saito island death match.

I realized I never saw that abortion so I'm watching it in 2X speed. It looks like Saito busts his nose while laying on Inoki and humping him. 18 minutes in and that is the extent of their physical contact.

EDIT: Okay, so the match was two hours but edited down to a second under an hour for the commercial tape. The extent of the activity is as follows. 

1. Laying in the grass in side headlock

2. A couple back suplexes

3. A couple enzuigiris

4. Both guys blading

5. Saito getting pushed into a flaming torch setup

6. Sleeper

7. Wandering. Lots of wandering.

8. Oh yeah, Saito hits Inoki with a piece of wood once.

That is the whole two hour match, on an uninhabited island with no spectators save the crew (just like Mania!). Despite this they still manage to dislocate Inoki's shoulder and injure Saito's eyes from the push into the fire. If Edge and Orton managed to have a worse match than that, kudos.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

yeah but what about the ratings

EDIT: That was referring to @MORELOCK, not the comment directly above me. Haha.

@Hail Sabin I know she's not a ratings booster, but the entire idea behind Charlotte being in NXT and feuding with Rhea (and winning) is to give NXT some star power because even WWE fans don't care about Adam Cole and Johnny Gargano.

Nor should they...

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

What would Barthes think?

Barthes thought that all of Wrestling could be simplified into a struggle not between heels and faces, but between the masculine impulse (which is embodied by the wrestler with a no-nonsense tough guy character) and the feminine impulse (which is embodied by the wrestler who is colourful and ostentatious). So he would have preferred AJ vs Taker.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that NXT is getting their lunch ate by AEW every week.

1. Charlotte wouldn't move that needle in the slightest in normal times.

2. Who thinks a ratings war *right now* of all times is remotely legitimate or worth anything?

They just want Charlotte to get to 16+ title reigns and this is their way to keep it somewhat fresh.

7 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Who thinks a ratings war *right now* of all times is remotely legitimate or worth anything?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Putting Charlotte in NXT is definitely NOT going to make me start watching NXT.   

I'm just so burned out on her, Sasha and Bayley; I wish they'd be rotated out of the main event scene for a year or three to allow Io, Kairi, Lacey, Nikki, Alexa, etc. take over as the main event Women's stars

I agree, but I've actually really turned the corner in liking Charlotte in the past year and a half or so. I think NXT would give her fresher talent to work against instead of waiting for them to move up. Most the women are victims of 50/50 booking before they get a meaningful match

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

Direct quote from Dave: "I know people in the company it offended". And the defense you are offering is like when they did the crucifixion angle years back and tried to claim it was fine because it was a symbol and not a cross. The idea they did it less than two weeks after the Vice documentary and the case was fresh in everyone's minds made it even more inexcusable.

I'm not trying to talk you out of your opinion. It's a valid opinion. That's the way your brain works. It made that connection. My only point in posting that explanation was to say that not everyone's brain works like yours or @LoneWolf&Subs or Meltzer's. You are allowed to be offended by it. I'm just pointing out that my brain didn't make that connection. I'm sure a lot of other people's brains didn't make that connection. I fully believe no one involved made the connection. I attribute that to the equipment and scene not looking anything like a dude hanging himself from a lat pull down machine. (Keep in mind Edge wasn't being hung at all, because choking & hanging are banned actions in the Mattel action figure agreement. See Bryan, Daniel and his firing for more on that one). Edge was dangling by the armpit on elbow straps. It's not at all the same scenario.

It seems like you guys are trying to attribute it to malice. Like they did this horrible shout out on purpose with nefarious intentions. All I'm saying is I don't feel that way. I can see why people are turned off by it if their brain made that connection. But it was not done intentionally.

• Like 1

Theres a segment of people who always want to attribute the worst type of premeditated behavior to Vince and his  crew (Bruce, Dunn, etc). Admittedly, theres also plenty of history to justify that thinking. 

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

1. Charlotte wouldn't move that needle in the slightest in normal times.

2. Who thinks a ratings war *right now* of all times is remotely legitimate or worth anything?

They just want Charlotte to get to 16+ title reigns and this is their way to keep it somewhat fresh.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some good analysis of Charlotte/Rhea and it standing out by their making every move feel like a legitimate struggle rather than something more choreographed. I’ve noticed this quality before in Charlotte’s work with Ronda and Asuka, but combining it with all that relentless limb work was masterful, and I did not know Rhea was so good at selling. 

• Like 3