DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 36 Post Match Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Bray/Cena was really fun. Good on Cena for committing fully to something so incredibly weird and mocking of his career. He absolutely ran with what he was given.

I am an unabashed Bray mark. Windham Rotunda really should be an actual actor. He has such a diverse set of tools for his different personas and character and knows how to change his voice, facial expressions, eye control, etc. I am assuming he had a huge hand in putting that together. 

Both this and Boneyard were so much fun to watch. You can tell the performers had a good time putting them together, too. I agree that less is more with this sort of thing, but this is just a strange time to be alive that they might have to rely on this sort of system for a while. 

Night One was way more fun. I liked both women’s matches a lot tonight. Everything else was sort of just there or insufferably long. I am also not a Drew fan. Dude is a snooze.

• Like 5

Night 2 was more along the lines of what I expected from the show after the overachieving Night 1. Charlotte/Rhea was really good, I just accepted that Charlotte was winning before the match to make the finish easier. Everything else was blah to awful.

Edge/Orton reminded me of HHH/Vince from Armageddon 99 except without the then-interesting moment of Steph turning. So much walking and laying around for match that's supposed to be super-heated. After you ask yourself "why is this match not in the finishing stretch yet," it goes on for another 20 minutes.

The FFH was as bizarre as advertised, but it fell flat after the boneyard match hit all the right notes. This match seemed self-hating, while the boneyard match was an uplifting celebration of silly pro wrestling.

Brock/Drew was such a disappointment. I mean I'm super happy for Drew, but he got no-effort Brock here and the lack of crowd obviously hurt.

4 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Edge/Orton reminded me of HHH/Vince from Armageddon 99 except without the then-interesting moment of Steph turning.

Just about the harshest condemnation one can give a pro wrestling match. Maybe the HHH/HBK 3 stages of hell match, that particular piece of shit went ten minutes longer at Armageddon '02.

Also, the scariest thing in the FFH match was the crazy thigh gap Cena was rocking in those prototype shorts. What the fuck, man?! Shit is gross.

2 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

He’s probably immuno-compromised because of his diverticulitis so he cut it short and is now going away for a long long time.

Wait, would that also include ulcerative colitis?  Asking for a friend ... who is me ...

12 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Just about the harshest condemnation one can give a pro wrestling match. Maybe the HHH/HBK 3 stages of hell match, that particular piece of shit went ten minutes longer at Armageddon '02.

I think my all-time "why is this still going on"  match is Sting/Booker T vs. Road Warriors at Uncensored 96, but that's a bit obscure and I definitely don't encourage anyone to watch it to find out what I mean. I just immediately thought HHH/Vince because of all the slow walking around with no exciting payoff spots for 30 minutes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nate said:

Wait, would that also include ulcerative colitis?  Asking for a friend ... who is me ...

Diverticulitis isn't an autoimmune disease and Brock wouldn't have a compromised immune system from it. Brock's diverticulitis was caused by a shit diet that consisted of nothing but meat and no fiber. He had some of his intestine cut out to treat it. He's been over it for years now.

UC is similar to diverticulitis and is an autoimmune disease.

I think overly critical man is either trolling or is uninformed.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

The Chono/Nagata one hour draw has about 15 minutes of really good wrestling in it. 

The Shane McMahon/Undertaker Hell in a Cell match felt like 6 hours long to me, I don't even care to look up that it probably was only 15 minutes.

If memory serves me right, 30 minutes for Undertaker/Shane McMahon HIAC at WrestleMania XXXII.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Wasn't that back alley brawl between Golddust and Piper at WM12 pre-taped? I remember they spliced the footage of OJ Simpson's police chase into it. That show also featured the Bret/Shawn ironman match which I remember being a real slog.

some of the normal matches were ok but this was the worst Wrestlemania by a factor of 20. Historically speaking I wasn't into the Backlot Brawl, the Boiler Room Brawl, any Empty Arena brawl, Final Deletion, or Lucha Underground (sadly). I hate (genuinely!) to be a curmudgeon but wrestling, for me, is a live art. It needs an audience. It needs to feel like it's happening (not bothered if it's taped) there in front of paying fans or I am just not interested. The various styles on the night can differ: I'm not asking everyone be Kiyoshi Tamura.

I am even less interested in bad overlong cinema-style wrestling. I'm not into 'cinematic wrestling'. Fight scenes in films don't hold up past a certain length. People used to shit on backyard wrestling - I don't see how AJ-Taker was anything other than bad backyard wrestling elevated to PPV status. Don't even get me started on the Symbolism 101 dullness of Wyatt-Cena. I think Wyatt might be the worst guy at creating wrestling characters. Beneath Nick Dinsmore.

The only thing that was so bad that it transcended was the Benoit-suicide referencing torture marathon of Orton-Edge. I genuinely could not believe what I was seeing. Up there with that Michael Jackson performance at the Brits where he made out like he was Jesus healing kids of their pain.

• Like 3

Charlotte really put her working shoes on last night because that was easily her best match in ages. I think she finally found a Ricky Steamboat in Rhea Ripley. I wasn't expecting this match to be this good. But have the rematch at the next Takeover (if there is ever one) and we might see the best women's match ever in the states.

I was expecting more out of Black vs. Lashley, but for whatever reason Bobby just has not clicked since he came back and I don't think he will. If this match happened any other company, maybe it would had some life to it. I'm glad Aleister won though. I would like to see him get a lengthy US Title run sometime soon. Hopefully this starts off that.

Otis/Ziggler was way better than it had any right to be. JBL had me dying when Cole asked him who Otis reminds him of and he said "ivan Putski if he ate Bam Bam Bigelow". Otis gives hope to all us big guys out there that we can land that shot. I hope this leads to a Summerslam wedding.

The Street Profits defeated Angel Garza and Austin Theory. That's all I can say about that match. They could have moved it to tomorrows RAW and I don't think anyone would have noticed. Not a knock on anyone involved, but if there was a crowd it would have been the concession break.

The Women's 5 way was pretty good once they got Tamina out of the mix. They really are going to tease us with a Bayley/Sasha break up like the last time.

Firefly Funhouse. What can I say that hasn't been said. I can't imagine someone got Vince to watch Twin Peaks. I just assumed it would be a brawl in a funhouse. What we got was something so meta, it's something you can watch over and over and find something new to theorize.

Glad Drew won. But I hate Brock's current style of match where it's just suplex...F5...take the other guys finisher. 

Overall not as good as night one, but combined it was way better than anyone thought it would be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sevendaughters said:

The only thing that was so bad that it transcended was the Benoit-suicide referencing torture marathon of Orton-Edge. I genuinely could not believe what I was seeing. Up there with that Michael Jackson performance at the Brits where he made out like he was Jesus healing kids of their pain.

Came on to post this, in no context was choking Edge using the weight equipment ok. I mean they had time to edit these matches and kept that in and this match was STILL what felt like 6 hours long.

Night 1 was way better.

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 3

If WWE really wanted to stretch out their footage for the next few weeks then they should have Raw be a tribute to AJ and SD a tribute to John Cena, because in storyline terms I have no idea how they write AJ or Cena back into existence. 

Maybe have cops pull Taker over on his bike and be like “look, you got 2 options, either use your supernatural powers to resurrect AJ or we’re arresting you for murder”

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

If WWE really wanted to stretch out their footage for the next few weeks then they should have Raw be a tribute to AJ and SD a tribute to John Cena, because in storyline terms I have no idea how they write AJ or Cena back into existence. 

Maybe have cops pull Taker over on his bike and be like “look, you got 2 options, either use your supernatural powers to resurrect AJ or we’re arresting you for murder”

Flat Earther plus Superboy-Prime punch.

• Like 1