DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 36 Post Match Thread

Dolfan in NYC

I will say that I do like the "shit talking" aspect of these matches with no crowd, since it's something we really don't get to hear that much of ordinarily but you know it happens.

I laughed out loud at Jimmy Uso screaming "HE DEAD, HOMIE" after slamming Kofi's face into the ladder during their match, and the Owens/Rollins back-and-forth was pretty awesome, too.

• Like 1

I LOVEDDD The Firefly Funhouse "Match"...  I'm not looking at it as a match it's more so a cinematic segment/vignette but it hit all the right notes for me. 

It was a career retrospective for both men and I believe that signifies a John Cena heel turn?  That was the whole nWo bit..   Cena is Hollywood Hogan and it's time for Cena to turn etc.. 

As for the Firefly Funhouse... I'm gonna bow out of the conversation because as awesome as the Boneyard was, the Funhouse was fucking awful.  A 20 minute Bray promo bitching about his push with Cena doing a career retrospective, then Bray's usual "only really do 10 seconds of actual work" shit.  

Rest of the card was a Monday Night Raw, although I popped for Otis.

• Like 3

Yeah Night 1 was really good with one bad match

Night 2 had an incredibly awful 35+ minute Last Man Standing that looked like they took a Cole vs Gargano match and modified it was plunder and I don't know what the fuck that Firefly match was.  And one really good match in the beginning

• Like 1

The opener was a fantastic, southern fried hurt body part title match. That was Rhea's best match by a country mile.

After that, nothing else mattered except Firefly Fun House. Holy shit. That thing existed outside of space and time. I felt like I was in a Tesseract. I think the NWO bit was the future - future Cena heel turn?

• Thanks 1

My Thoughts Transposed from My Notes App So the Font is Weird: Night 2!

I don’t think Charlotte having the title is going to do whatever they think it will for NXT. She’s just one of those people they book like a world beater with seemingly no long term plan to make that pay off for her or anyone else. The match was too long, but they worked their asses off. Ripley sold the leg the whole time, but she also did a LOT of kick-based offense that made her look like an idiot. 

Lashley is wearing long tights now, huh? I like Black’s kick pads. Did he always wear vinyl trunks? This must be captivating since I’m doing a fashion watch.

Otis/Dolph didn’t do anything for me, but it told a story and I’m a sucker for a happy ending.

Edge looks like he’s in even better shape than he did at the Rumble. Randy wearing a disguise in a room full of six people is hilarious. His trash talk reminds me of that Ed Harris movie he was terrible in. It’s a good thing there hasn’t already been a brutal brawl between former friends in this gym or this would feel redundant.  The poor maintenance workers at the PC are already putting themselves at risk going in every day, and they have to keep cleaning this shit up? A lot of jungle gym offense from Edge. Wow, this went on forever. 

I’m glad this was the second night because I probably would have skipped the other show if I watched this first. 

Zelina is a queen and her costume was cool as hell. The tag titles match could run away with MOTN. High energy sprint and fun save afterwords from Bianca. I love Titus, but nobody needs to host this thing. 

Didn’t know Tamina was still around. I guess they filmed the five-way before the Charlotte match since they mentioned Bayley being the only woman to hold all three brand’s titles. Bayley saying, “No we didn’t,” when Cole said her and Saha were almost eliminated made me laugh. I kind of love that the wrestlers can hear the commentary. Really thought the trad wife had it. 

Firefly Funhouse: “We suffer more often in imagination than in reality.” 

A sprawling Kruegeresque piece of Adult Swim placenta. And I mean that as a compliment. 

I just watched Bryan vs Brock again, and it reminded me Brock can still be quite good in the right setting, which begs the question, WHY DO WE KEEP DOING THIS SHIT? Good for Drew, but Jesus... 

Anyway, Night 1 smoked this, but this wouldn’t have been nearly as bad without Edge/Orton.

Edited by (BP)

Remember about 4 or 5 years ago when Max Landis or his son created a youtube video about I think the history of D-X and people couldn't stop talking about it.  Even though Landis was a dickhead with really no experience in wrestling.   That was what the Firefly Funhouse match was.  It wasn't a match.  it was one person interpretation of history 

My hope for the Firefly Funhouse match was that they'd try a Freddy Krueger dream battle and that was pretty close. I loved it, and I'm not a Fiend fan prior to this.

Rhea/Charlotte was also great.

• Like 2