DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 36 Post Match Thread

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

It was just way, way better produced and executed. 

There are good and bad versions of any sort of match, including good and bad cinematic camp. This was upper tier like Final Deletion and that time Kevin Sullivan showed up in the TNA underworld. 

I don't get the comparison with Final Deletion, as that did not take itself seriously at all (Final Deletion has a sentinent drone, for crying out loud), while at least the build-up to the Boneyard match (as far as I can tell from the montage before the match) did indicate some level of seriousness.

And regarding the production levels: constantly having cars pass at what was indicated to be a remote, abandoned graveyard, was not ideal, to say the least. Also the Undertaker moving slow as fuck to take out the hooded guys, looked horrible. Was there no way to cut this in a way to pretend that the Undertaker still has some agility left?

42 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

People are acting as if Lucha Underground's in-ring product wasn't wrestling matches in front of a cheering crowd. Their cinematic indulgences were for backstage segments only, if I remember correctly.

It was, but it leaned in hard to it being a soap opera, more than even the WWE are willing to. It was also taped with more post production than most wrestling promotions have done in the past. So we would never know if an act bombed that night, or not. Wrestling with a live tv audience has been a crucial part of the wrestling experience. I don’t believe they ever intended to do that with Lucha Underground.

They should’ve took LU on the road, with the idea of weekly live statewide illegal fighting rings. Maybe then it could’ve been a more attractive weekly wrestling program.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I thought Final Deletion worked better because the Hardys are crazy and had already had multiple crazy matches. The promos leading up to this were more serious in tone. I wish Taker would just retire if this is all he can do. 

• Like 2

I never watched Final Deletion as it aired. Did they ever show it to a live arena audience? That would probably explain it’s positive response if that weren’t the case. Because thinking back to all those pre-taped brawls from years past on PPV. The only ones that got over live were the ones shot to look like they were in real-time. While the cinematic ones always got a groan inducing response.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

The best newer real time one I can think of was Angle and Jarrett in the parking lot fight, and a lot of that was the school playground atmosphere of having the roster standing in a circle and hollering during it. 

I’ll just straight up say that I watched the Boneyard Match from bootleg sources(didn’t bother with the rest of the show), and I didn’t care for it. But like I said I can see the positives for more stuff like this in the time being. I just can’t see it working going forward when arena shows become a thing again. Although if wrestling companies could possibly have the production budget of a blockbuster film week to week this could actually work for as long as the scripts are good. That will never happen, and by the time that’s possible, the top tier entertainment industries will have moved into more advanced tech of TV & film production.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I loved the Boneyard Match and thought it was great.

I agree with @MORELOCK about the music though. As awesome as it was, we will probably be stuck with shitty Limp Bizkit or Kid Rock as overdubs.

--

(edit)

Oh god...

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Gonzo said:

If that's where they went with the Boneyard Match, I'm hoping for a full-on "Fear and Loathing" acid trip for the Firefly Funhouse match tomorrow.

Maybe Cena and the Fiend turning into puppets like something out of an episode of The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson.

I wonder if they can top it.

I think that there's an episode of Ren & Stimpy that they could try to emulate...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, gordi said:

I think that I would actually be fine with WWE pivoting to an all "cinematic" match format, at least until the curve gets flattened and we can have matches worked in front of live crowds again. 

They should present matches in the style of old NFL Films videos. Not as full matches, just tell the story like they did with games. Slowed down a bit, cool music, and get one of the legends to do voiceovers.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 5

Loved Seth's gear and look and was happy that him and KO worked a really snug match. That was probably my favorite "match" on the show, but that boneyard match was awesome if just for the constant shit talking. I was laughing my ass off at the end with Taker all like, "it's ok AJ! I ain't gonna bury you! You fought a hell of a fight!" - *big boot* So much shit talking. Bikertaker is my favorite version and I was happy to finally get him back. Close second is Shootfighttaker. I loved this.

In fact, a lot of people made the most out of the fact that you'll hear everything. Seth gasping for air and earlier doing a villain monologue, KO talking shit, everyone talking shit. Like, well done wrestlers. You leaned in to us being able to hear everything.

I never want Bikertaker to leave and want him around more often for more of this shit. This is the version that should have been there for years. I think the Deadman gimmick is dumb post-HBK matches. 

And yeah, the only thing that sucked was the entrance music. I'd rather have American Bad Ass playing, but I'd settle for Rollin or Dead Man Walkin.

If Borash was the one responsible for this, give him all the fucking money and a job for life.

• Like 3

I dug the women’s tag and thought this was the best Alexa has looked in-ring wise in a while. As much as I’ve enjoyed Kairi and Asuka as champs, it was cool that Alexa and Nikki got a Mania moment. 

Was really shocked that they had Becky retain. I was sure her reign was done. Curious to see where they go with Shayna after this. Kinda makes her effortlessly killing the rest of the division really look pointless now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Honestly I think fans are looking for a distraction from the real world, and this match probably played better to this kind of empty arena show, than it would’ve with fans live in attendance watching a match that exclusively played on a screen. Right now wrestling is in a weird place. Why pretend everything is normal? Just roll with it for now, until it gets better.

I can see watching stuff for distraction. That being said... 

There is tons of good Wrestling on the Internet. There are loads of good movies aswell. Even many good "bad movies" I'd say.

The segment seemed bad as wrestling, bad as a good movie and bad as a bad movie. It was like the next step (down) from the "cinematic" Taker vs HHH WrestleMania Hell in a Cell, which is one of my least favourite high profile matches ever. 

Yeah, if this is the best use for Taker these days, his best use is not to be used at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was 30 minutes,  that's far from movie length.  Yes, there's a lot of good wrestling on the internet but just because I like Chick Fil A doesn't mean I should eat it everyday.  There's room in professional wrestling for more than just one style of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Yeah, if this is the best use for Taker these days, his best use is not to be used at all. 

Considering how many people objectively liked or even loved the Boneyard Match, I'd say you're probably off base.

• Like 1