DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 36 Post Match Thread

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Philistine. 1992 Taker had grey gloves. It wasn't until he came back at SummerSlam '94 that purple era Taker started.

I was going to bring it up and decided not to. I didn't want to be seen as nitpicking. Match quality wise, western mortician Undertaker wasn't particularly good since the gimmick limited what he could do, but for me, nothing else he did character-wise tops the original gimmick.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

If that's where they went with the Boneyard Match, I'm hoping for a full-on "Fear and Loathing" acid trip for the Firefly Funhouse match tomorrow.

Maybe Cena and the Fiend turning into puppets like something out of an episode of The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson.

I wonder if they can top it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

This is likely because Bryan and Sami have both wrestled on cards with even less people than were there for Mania.

So has Cena. I was there.

• Like 1

EUzi-jcXsAEhfpZ.jpg:small

EUziNQeXsAMHfo3.jpg:small

What a spectacle, The Undertaker vs. AJ Styles in the Boneyard Match. Great stuff. Biker Taker mixed in with the Dead Man. That maketh a fine combination. Best Undertaker match in years. Liked the different attire as well.

I really enjoyed WrestleMania XXXVI: Night One particularly the above, Kabuki Warriors vs. Alexa Bliss/Nikki Cross, Becky Lynch/Shayna Baszler brought the physicality, Sami Zayn/Daniel Bryan and Kevin Owens/Seth Rollins.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

My low-key highlight of the night was JBL and Cole talking about Sami never shutting up “in and out of the ring” transitioning into JBL giggling like a little girl as Bryan beat the ever loving crap out of Sami.

Boneyard Match - 666 stars.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think we all were expecting the worst, but that was an outstanding first night. I think I pretty much enjoyed every match on the card. Even Braun living Big E's dream about bumping meat with Goldberg.

The Boneyard match was beyond expectations amazing. When Gallows/Anderson had all those druids surround Taker for a brief moment I like "OH SHIT THEY CALLED IN THEIR BULLET CLUB BROSKIES". I like this combo of a Supernatural Undertaker who does shit talking. The whole bit with him holding up AJ and telling him he gave him a good fight was great. If this is Taker's last run, I have hope for it now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

I think we all were expecting the worst, but that was an outstanding first night. I think I pretty much enjoyed every match on the card. Even Braun living Big E's dream about bumping meat with Goldberg.

The Boneyard match was beyond expectations amazing. When Gallows/Anderson had all those druids surround Taker for a brief moment I like "OH SHIT THEY CALLED IN THEIR BULLET CLUB BROSKIES". I like this combo of a Supernatural Undertaker who does shit talking. The whole bit with him holding up AJ and telling him he gave him a good fight was great. If this is Taker's last run, I have hope for it now.

I think this might be Undertaker's last run though we've said that before. Also the timing of Undertaker: The Last Ride limited series event trailer which debuted on the show. Either go out at Survivor Series this year to mark The Undertaker's 30 year WWE career or if he wants one last great match inside the ring, Daniel Bryan's the only one to achieve that with.

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

If that's where they went with the Boneyard Match, I'm hoping for a full-on "Fear and Loathing" acid trip for the Firefly Funhouse match tomorrow.

Maybe Cena and the Fiend turning into puppets like something out of an episode of The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson.

I wonder if they can top it.

I went into tonight thinking that Cena/Wyatt was going to be a standout. I went out thinking that they have a hell of a high bar to clear after that AJ/Undertaker madness.

• Like 1

The opening Women's Tag was great and didn't feel like it was in an empty gym except for the moments that people would clap to keep the faces alive as though anyone else could join in.

KO and Rollins was so good. In terms of Actual Matches, that was really fun and intense and used the emptiness of the space well. All of the shit-talking and the intense thuds and smacks of the chair and the bell and the huge jump were great. I haven't been following the storylines for a while, but it was a really fun on its own. I know everyone here hates Rollins, but at least he's being a smarmy heel and jumping and selling all over the place now. This was easily the match of the night.

Zayn/Bryan was 100% just watching two people trying to make each other break laughing during a match and that was great. I love this little weird section of the company.

Was disappointed in Becky/Shayna and the Ladder match, but more because of the circumstances than anything else.

~~THE BONEYARD~~ was fun. It was stupid and not as good as The Final Deletion, but it was the right kind of stupid and -- AND -- if you can't have an audience for the next, I don't know, let's say six months, and you won't add music or piped-in cheering to make your television show seem a little less empty and strange, maybe this is the way to do it. Maybe you just do full low-budget action movie stuff. Maybe instead of WWE being "a soap opera but with fighting," it just becomes a soap opera, period. Watching druids emerge from a vague structure that I assume exists on The Undertaker's massive Florida compound to attack him while cello music plays is way, way less stupid than having to watch people SHOUT in a RING to NOBODY!

• Like 1

I have to reiterate my ***** fondness for the original Final Deletion match between Broken Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy. Such a unique match, it honestly made cry with laughter. "It's Ovah! Oh, Shit!" and "It's a dilapidated boat!" Thank you to them both, more so Broken Matt Hardy for coming up with what he did as Broken Matt Hardy/the Brokenverse along with Jeremy Borash contributions.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

doc-antle1-1024x736.png

“Everyone knew the murder case was bullshit. It was the animal rights people and the government going after him for visiting my park. They even had to add that pyrokinesis charge for setting that dilapidated barn on fire to make the murder charges stick. But I’m not going to talk about all that because it starts here and ends with, ‘Oh, you’re a cult leader who keeps a harem of women in stalls.’ I’m not stupid. Not going there.”

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

I fail to grasp how the Boneyard Match doesn't get the same Feedback as the House of Horrors shit got. And I'm not even trolling. 

It was just way, way better produced and executed. 

There are good and bad versions of any sort of match, including good and bad cinematic camp. This was upper tier like Final Deletion and that time Kevin Sullivan showed up in the TNA underworld. 

My only suggestion is that at the end with AJ’s hand, they should have done a twist ending where the camera then pans over to the next grave over, where you see another tombstone with Mankind’s name on it. Then suddenly the mandible claw hand breaks through the dirt like Freddie at the end of that one Jason movie, setting up a sequel. 

Edited by For Great Justice

I was under the impression that HoH got the hate because of the hokeyness of the general concept. Which is the same as the Boneyard Match. I think it fails as a Match aswell as a movie scene, and it really didn't work in a synergetic-way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReiseReise said:

I fail to grasp how the Boneyard Match doesn't get the same Feedback as the House of Horrors shit got. And I'm not even trolling. 

Honestly I think fans are looking for a distraction from the real world, and this match probably played better to this kind of empty arena show, than it would’ve with fans live in attendance watching a match that exclusively played on a screen. Right now wrestling is in a weird place. Why pretend everything is normal? Just roll with it for now, until it gets better.

This doesn’t mean this format should last. I don’t believe prime time wrestling could’ve lasted as long as it had if it went with this more “dramatic” storytelling. The illusion of a fake sport is what I believe has kept it alive for as long as possible. Just being a weekly Sharknado would get old pretty quickly. That’s why Lucha Underground didn’t have a chance past the first season.

Damn, y'all, were your expectations low enough? "The best possible use of Taker" if he has to be there is this, I guess, but the best possible use of Taker is sending him home and never having him work a match again.

I'll go ahead and say again that the biggest problem in WWE is the amount of video packages, replays, and absurdly long intros and exits. They waste SO much of their time. Literally nothing happens quickly in WWE, and it's so fucking boring. The opportunity cost of having that much filler in every single show is very high.

Also - licensing music is awesome, and it's a great way to add to bigger shows - right up until the time they dub it over for replays on the Network. If you want to use them, that's great. PAY for them. If you're just going to overdub them later, don't use them in the first place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1