DVDVR Message Board

It's Clubberin' Time!

Jesus Christ.  This match is what runs through Jim Ross's mind when he climaxes.  I've never seen Hansen take this much of an assbeating,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I'm going back to work full time starting Monday. I'm happy about that, but it means I won't be online so much anymore and likely won't be able to participate in this thread much, for a while, while I adjust to the extreme change in schedule.

I appreciate everyone who posted in this thread. It genuinely helped me get through the last couple of months. 

I've been saving this one up to use as a kind of goodbye-for-now. It's not their famous dog collar match. It's a great brawl, almost pure uncut clubbering and stooging.

• Like 2

Gordi, I really appreciate you making this thread because it's reminded me what I love about pro wrestling: two people just beating the ever-loving hell out of each other.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2020 at 6:02 PM, DEAN said:

Jesus Christ.  This match is what runs through Jim Ross's mind when he climaxes.  I've never seen Hansen take this much of an assbeating,

I love Stan Hansen in the way that a man can love another man and his lariat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DEAN said:

AWA Curt Hennig is the best Curt Hennig.

I have somehow never seen this before. What a tremendous match! Great use of "TV time remaining" to enhance the drama. I briefly thought "Wait a minute! Did Curt beat Hansen for the title? ... I'm pretty sure it was Bockwinkel..." But you know they've got you good, when you are thinking things like that.

Edited by gordi
  • Like 1

I have never seen Stan fucking Hansen take as much of a beating in that match with Dr. Death and still come back ever. If he wasn't my favorite wrestler before, he is now. And I watched that Lariat at least five or six times. FUCK! 

EDIT: Then the Curt Hennig match comes up and makes me realize that Mr. Perfect was really Mr. Perfect. Wow. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

You love to see it. She's the best. That dragon suplex off of Dynamite playing to the crowd was exquisite. And that running fire thunder bomb after Hokuto tried to escape using the corner, so gross. Just realized it was basically her last ditch effort to evade the kill shot splash mountain, so she sacrificed herself in the process by adding momentum to that powerbomb. So great. They work over The Mummy's wrapped up knee and pinpoint the neck later on with many piledrivers and the like. Elimination and 2/3 falls tag matches need to make a comeback (outside of Mexico obv). 

There is something raw and visceral about Akira Hokuto and Toshiaki Kawada matches that I connect to more than any other. 

• Like 1

We are fools for letting this thread go four pages without THAT popping up. 

EDIT: The crazy thing is it only made it to #75 on the AJPW set. There are two other iterations from '82 and '83 that are much higher. Now I'm gonna have to watch all of them to remember which one I'm beholden to the most.

EDIT II: Oh yeah, this is the "attempted murder" one. I seem to remember Terry hung over the ropes instead though, maybe that's one of the others.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I love Hans Schmidt.  I love Killer Kowalski.  I love Schmidt punching Kowalski in the stomach while the ref is making the count on the first fall.

• Like 1

I enjoyed this a lot earlier (apart from the on-camera bladejob).
Johnny keeps frustrating Bull with stiff grapples, Bull clobbers Johnny, Johnny complains. Rinse and repeat. This footage being released was such a revelation 

• Like 1