DVDVR Message Board

It's Clubberin' Time!

Younger Shibata was such an amazing underdog. He sold the fuck out of his sempai's offense but he knew he had to bring everything he had right from the off or he had no chance. That sort of desperation is beautiful. Haven't seen that Akiyama match in forever but I am definitely gonna go back and watch the shit out of that one. What could have been had he not fucked with MMA and gotten his brain even more damaged, continued to work with great wrestlers and learn. Probably the same ending but sooner, sadly. He was probably the most complete of those three musketeers, though Tanahashi wasn't far behind (way smoother in the ring but not the charisma or emotion).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DEAN said:

GOTTDAM.  Pissed off Jun Akiyama is the finest Jun Akiyama.  Shibata brings the hardway.

Okay, memories came immediately rushing back to me of watching this match over and over in 2005/06 once Shibata kicks Jun's head twice very hard in that opening assault. I LOVED this match so much back then and I still do today, warts and all. Shibata was going for a hybrid of UWF, NJPW, and RINGS here, so I'm guessing a lot of people will be turned off by his selling. But there is desperation and defiance in everything he does. He kicks the fucking ring post very hard, registers the pain and then immediately jumps back on Akiyama because he knows there is hell to pay if he doesn't stay on top of him. Jun immediately goes for the leg and gives it and then Shibata's head an absolute whacking with the chair. I think the match probably could've been improved by shaving a few minutes off, but I'm not going to complain. It's a masterpiece of violence and, as you say, furious Akiyama is the best version of a legendary wrestler, and Shibata's search for something new make this must see. 

I must've watched this six times back in the day at least. Akiyama getting legitimately pissed off was so crazy. He hucks those chairs in the audience at Shibata soooo hard. Loved him dumping Shibata in Takayama's lap. Like this is his doing, his UWFi style taken to the next level, and fuck you for it. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

Again, Yuji Nagata was a slam dunk HOFer and Akiyama is in danger of sliding off of Dave's ballot. This shit ain't right. Jun >>> Nagata and I'm perfectly willing to admit that Nagata deserves to be in the HOF.

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Again, Yuji Nagata was a slam dunk HOFer and Akiyama is in danger of sliding off of Dave's ballot. This shit ain't right. Jun >>> Nagata and I'm perfectly willing to admit that Nagata deserves to be in the HOF.

Is Jun not liked and/or respected as much as Nagata behind the scenes? I'm just curious since I recall it being the wrestlers who got Nagata in.