DVDVR Message Board

It's Clubberin' Time!

6 hours ago, DEAN said:

Hey!  This showed up on my YouTube feed!

This match always seemed to me to be the last instance of the blowoff match being taken around the horn (at least by WWF, probably by WCW as well but I am sure that Mempho practiced this for a while longer). The Slaughter/Sheik Bootcamp Death Match was done in all the major markets as the end of this feud, with each one promoted locally as the "last one" with similar match layout & finish and (obviously) the same winner. Is this correct? I don't remember how the Apter mags handled it.

Anyway, it is a really nice brawl, with both guys selling from the getgo, red red krovvy, rare ref bump by my man Dick Woerhle and lots of boot loading.and expectoration. It did always bother me a bit when wrestlers would wear their ring gear in a match with a "come as you are" stip. We have not yet evolved to the Shopping Cart of Plunder/Under the Ring Trash Source era of hardcore yet. Forgive them.

Young RAF was at the MSG iteration. Such amazing heat, lotsa trash thrown ringward (IS got beaned by a 1/3 roll of Sweetarts hurled from the balcony and shoot sold it) and there was a min-riot/celebration afterwards as fans swarmed SSlaughter and the ring. Such shenanigans did not occur often as half of MSG security were surly moonlighting NYPD. This card was the first MSG show after the death of VJMcMahon.

- older RAF

• Like 4

Gordy is one of the few guys actually helped by being in the ring with another big guy. Like, you see him next to Gang and all I think is "man, Terry Gordy really was a big ole motherfucker". It's kind of crazy he had the cardio to eat all those tag matches in All Japan where they'd do 20 minutes just for the hell of it on TV.

• Like 2

Jesus fuck. Borne/Rose seems like the kind of shit that probably made some fans go "well yeah wrestling's fake but Borne/Rose, that shit is real, they're actually trying to kill each other". There's like a total disregard for even trying to win matches, they just want to cause pain.

• Like 2

You gotta love Don Owens (TM Buddy Rose) coming off like the irritated, but kind of out-of-it old guy when he's really the owner and probably booker of the promotion. It's a Vito Genovese thing where he acts like a doddering old fool but is truly an evil mastermind. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You gotta love Don Owens (TM Buddy Rose) coming off like the irritated, but kind of out-of-it old guy when he's really the owner and probably booker of the promotion. It's a Vito Genovese thing where he acts like a doddering old fool but is truly an evil mastermind. 

I can't remember which match it was exactly, but on the DVDVR Portland '80s set, there was a several-match run of guys challenging each other to loser-leaves-town matches, and Don Owen eventually breaks down and goes on an amazing old-man rant about how he hates running loser-leaves-town matches because every time someone loses, he has to try to fly a new wrestler from another part of the country to fill that spot on the show. The rant was incredibly detailed to the point where he complained about how "the last time we ran a loser-leaves-town match it cost me $600 to fly in new talent to come wrestle for all of you" and how "if every match was a loser-leaves-town match you'd be stuck here next week looking at me and the referee standing alone in an empty ring for two hours."

• Like 4

Ken Patera continues his hot streak of quality matches I' seen this year.  Here Pat Patterson punches him in the face a bunch.

This is the most famous version of this match.  I've seen this four times now?  I now realize that Doug Sommers is the key to the greatness of this match.  His glee at Shawn Michaels developing a total crimson mask is SO awesome.  It's weird how much offense Sommers gets in.  It's like Buddy Rose wanted to sit this one out. SOOOO violent.  Truly hardcore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is probably the best brawl in the history of Mexico.  LA Park doesn't just hate Mesias, he fucking hates HIS FANS.  SO fucking great when he goes to a cluster of Mesias fans in the front row and just fucking mauls Mesias right in the middle of them.  Goddam, this match is great.

• Like 1

Diasuke Ikeda was the most intense wrestler on earth for a minute there.  The nastiest kick to the face is at 15:10, but Ikeda takes an assbeating early to set it up. Takeshi Ono is a smug little bastard but he is so tiny that he is the designated One Who Will German Suplexed Numerous Times.  Alexander Otsuka plays the Yuki Ishikawa role of guy who applies submission hold so Ikeda and Ono can make a spectacularly dick-like save.

• Like 1

God, Aja Kong and Bull Nakano are a hellish tagteam.  And Manami Toyota gets the living hell beaten out of her.  Bull Nakano does the greatest Camel Clutch in the history of wrestling.

• Like 1