DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2020

Curt McGirt

9 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If we relied on common sense above all, there'd be a lot more people out there who think the earth is flat. Maybe leave that one off the list. 

I have conclusive and irrefutable proof the Earth isn't flat: if it was flat Teddy Hart's cats would've knocked everything off it.

• Haha 1

Dustin Rhodes called Lance Archer a Chickenhawk. I hope that he's not making the reference we used to use for Mr Feinslime.

And there it is....

Last night WWE RAW drew 1.817 million viewers on the USA Network.

AEW Dynamite will draw at least 817,000 tomorrow night and get within 1 mil of WWE RAW for the first time since AEW debut.

Why is this a big deal?

Huuummmm....well....

This 1 million gap between WWE RAW and AEW Dynamite will continue to close for the next 12-18 months until RAW gets replaced as the 2nd most watch Pro-Wrestling program on TV/Media.

How do I know?

The Shadow always knows....

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

AEW Dynamite will get a touch over 800,000 this Wednesday.

WWE RAW will get 1.8 mil today. 

AEW will get inside 1 mil of WWE RAW this week for the first time since AEW debut.

Should we take bets this time? AEW could conceivably get 0.8 this week as they've been hyping a special episode, not likely but it's possible.

I'm rooting for you, @Flair’s Shadow, you'll be right one of these weeks and I'm hoping it's this week.

• Like 1

Musa showed more here than a lot of jobbers have on recent Dark, and Dynamite with brief bit of offense, and selling. I honestly don’t know much about him. 

If you talk about Shadow hitting for the cycle, it won’t happen.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Musa showed more here than a lot of jobbers have on recent Dark, and Dynamite with brief bit of offense, and selling. I honestly don’t know much about him. 

If you talk about Shadow hitting for the cycle, it won’t happen.

How about Flair's Shadow legging out an infield single?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

The Shadow is the best gimmick poster in a long time.

Yeah, I've taken quite a liking to him.  He was annoying when AEW started and it was pages and pages of speculation from him and others.  But coming in occasionally is much better.

Side note:  Last year we went to a vintage toy store that had darn near everything you could think of.  Remember the figure storage cases?  Well, they had one for The Shadow.  And of course the bottom had THAT phrase on it.  I don't believe I took a picture but it was funny seeing that all things considered.

• If you enjoyed the last few weeks of AEW Dynamite, including tonight's episode, the shows taped in Georgia were all written by AEW President Tony Khan.  The word making the rounds is that Khan, realizing that he was going to have a very small crew due to shut-in rulings around the country, sat down and wrote the last four weeks of TV on the fly at once by himself in a matter of minutes, built around the TNT Championship tournament and the local talents that were available.  It was very much a "trial by fire" moment where Khan and his crew had to quickly pivot and come up with something that could work to further company storylines and utilize their reduced resources in terms of crew and talent.  Obviously, if you watched Dynamite the last few weeks, you can see that the plan paid off, as the shows have been extremely strong every week, especially given the fact that they were using about 1/3rd of their contracted talent.  The tapings had been built around the idea of presenting them similar in nature to old territorial TV (but with AEW's spin on things) as Khan was a huge fan of Memphis and Continental, among other similar promotions.
  • We are told that Cody was very instrumental in helping put things together as Khan's right hand and has been very hands on with not only his own programs but with helping others.  Chris Jericho has also gotten a ton of praise for all his work on commentary (which he did off the top of his head with less than 24 hours' notice that he'd be needed in the role) and with putting together the vignettes for the Inner Circle.
  • Orange Cassidy and The Best Friends have also gotten a lot of praise internally for their work as they wrestled four times over 24 hours for those tapings and pretty much everyone who was involved, including the enhancement talent, was said to have put in a ton of work to make everything click.  It was described to me as a big bonding experience for the talents who were in Georgia.  Many of the enhancement talents were brought in by QT Marshall.
  • There are lots of plans to utilize the Broken Universe in the days ahead.
  • The 5/23 Double or Nothing PPV will most likely be on a closed set from Jacksonville, Florida.  Internally, the hope is to make things up to the Las Vegas fans with the 2021 edition of the PPV.
  • Since we have gotten emails about this, it should be noted that a number of Dynamite episodes are available for streaming for free at Bleacher Report Live.
  • Anna Jay, the company's newest signing, had only worked seven matches when she appeared on AEW TV earlier this month.

I braved PWInsider's malware infested website to bring you all of that. Now that the tapings are over, and they're going live again next week, it's worth a read to look back at how all of that stuff came together. Khan writing 4 weeks of TV in a matter of minutes is bananas.

Also, yeah, BR Live has everything AEW has done, including Dynamite, up to February 26th. I recently went back and watched the debut episode again. I miss crowds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3