DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2020

Curt McGirt

From a card placement perspective,  and looking at the results from the WWE. Yeah I would agree a lot of midcarders are getting more exposure right now. Also back to ratings momentum... that recent Bulls documentary from this week got a 6.0 rating. Says a lot about the state of current wrestling where people aren’t willing to watch a wrestling industry that is fighting off the health concerns, and economic effects from this pandemic, with near live entertainment designed to put “smiles on faces”. But will watch mini-series/documentaries. Networks are probably green lighting the shit out of new specials like them, and wondering why they spent all that money on professional wrestling.

Or better yet they can probably have a live VIA satellite Interview with a candid Michael Jordan for two hours once a week. I bet you it can get a consistent 5.0. If that’s succeeds watch WWE and AEW try to secure the exclusive use of Bret Hart for something like that.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I mean, Wrestlemania happened with at least three of its marquee matches happening. So something big did happen on there side. I haven’t seen the numbers, but I bet you subs didn’t go up significantly, or PPV buys turned out well for them. Empty arenas are probably  adding to the fakeness which then turns away fans, more so the “importance” of a program. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I mean, Wrestlemania happened with at least three of its marquee matches happening. So something big did happen on there side. I haven’t seen the numbers, but I bet you subs didn’t go up significantly, or PPV buys turned out well for them. Empty arenas are probably  adding to the fakeness which then turns away fans, more so the “importance” of a program. 

PPV buys didn't turn out well. On Fite, it was something like 1,000 buys.

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

PPV buys didn't turn out well. On Fite, it was something like 1,000 buys.

Anyone who bought it as a streaming ppv is just an absolute moron. Pay $35 a night/$60 for both to stream it, or $9.99 (or free!) to stream it and have a month of access to everything else on the network.

At least with traditional ppv, maybe you don't have a device that can put it on your TV, or you live somewhere that the internet service just isn't good enough for streaming.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Anyone who bought it as a streaming ppv is just an absolute moron. Pay $35 a night/$60 for both to stream it, or $9.99 (or free!) to stream it and have a month of access to everything else on the network.

At least with traditional ppv, maybe you don't have a device that can put it on your TV, or you live somewhere that the internet service just isn't good enough for streaming.

It also doesn’t help that one of their closest comparison, the UFC, Doesn’t air their PPV’s with a subscription to their streaming service. You have to order it just like you would order a PPV. If the WWE wants to make money off this they’ll have to gut their Network, and convince Disney to pay them UFC money. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

28 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It also doesn’t help that one of their closest comparison, the UFC, Doesn’t air their PPV’s with a subscription to their streaming service. You have to order it just like you would order a PPV. If the WWE wants to make money off this they’ll have to gut their Network, and convince Disney to pay them UFC money. 

Bob Arum has a better chance of getting $4 billion for selling Top Rank boxing than WWE getting UFC money in this era for PPVs that would struggle to sell 150,000 buys. I mean the B and C level UFC PPVs ain't lighting the world on fire either (there isn't any #s released like the old days but that's the word), but Disney is not going to pay UFC AND WWE. In terms of what they're getting, one of them would have to be the little brother. Even with no global pandemic, I think they (ESPN and WWE) would end up far apart on money like what happened. I don't think Vince's hubris would allow him to take a fraction of what UFC is getting. He's gonna feel like he is being lowballed even though it's clear the WWE product overall isn't worth that much. 

Holy shit...second thought...It would be the shit if they had a deal like others do where they can work NJPW dates and they were somehow able to work the World Tag League.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

May as well post this here because let's be serious, they're going to sign with AEW, but the Revival are now The Revolt. 

That's a better name.

Still not a GOOD name, mind you. But better than "The Revival".

Edited by tbarrie

From the observer:

“AEW is also going back, likely to live programming, in a few weeks, which would put them in the same situation. While this could also change depending on the circumstances and they have enough taped to last for several more weeks, the plan right now is for AEW to go back either weekly or more often starting on 5/6 from Daily’s Place in Jacksonville.

The Decatur, GA main stuff was the TNT tournament, which has its semifinal on 4/29.

The shows starting on 5/6 will be to start the hard push for the 5/23 Double or Nothing PPV show. They expect to have about twice as much talent available for the next tapings. Some talent from heavily hit areas that weren’t brought to the last tapings started quarantining earlier this week as they wanted two weeks of quarantine before bringing people from those areas in. It’s expected the shows will focus on the talent that will be on the PPV show.“

Im not a fan of this but the fact is it will freshen things up a lot.

• Like 2

Yeah basically the people who justifiably shit on the WWE for doing what they are doing are probably going to be quieter for AEW.   

And for the people who have been really quiet on the WWE side are going to be very vocal as well

Edited by hammerva

I think it's a terrible idea to go back to live weekly shows. If they want to bring in people to do one a major marathon taping stretch, this time with more talent on hand, and everyone is going to follow quarantine procedures before and after, etc, that's different. I'd still rather they run what they already have in the can until the well runs dry, but I can understand why they wouldn't.

But there is just absolutely no goddamn reason to be running every week, or every other week, right now. Just fucking don't.

• Like 2