DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR Alma Mater Battles (CBB Edition)

Pete

Since we're all looking for various amusements, I thought I'd get this going. Ever wonder how your college basketball team did against other DVDVR denizens? Well, wonder no more. Punch your school in, add someone else's from here and watch the sparks fly.

Ex. I plug in my school (Bradley) vs @DEAN's (VCU) and get the following results:

Year Date   Schl Rk.   Opp Rk.     PTS OPP MOV   OT
2007-08 2007-12-22   Bradley     Virginia Commonwealth   L   64 79 -15    
2006-07 2007-02-17   Bradley   @ Virginia Commonwealth   W   73 64 9    
1989-90 1989-12-14   Bradley   @ Virginia Commonwealth   L   66 89 -23    
1988-89 1989-02-08   Bradley     Virginia Commonwealth   W   75 70 5  

So, 2-2 overall. Of course we won the game that mattered (the BRACKET BUSTERS matchup that aired on ESPN in 2007). ?

So what you got?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Columbia lost to Bradley in the only game they've played in 1973.  They've never played George Mason, nor have they played Va Commownealth.  

?

In Albuquerque at THE PIT, no less. How random.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

They've never played George Mason, nor have they played Va Commownealth. 

I am not an alum of Mason

Of course - Columbia has never played American either

I am a little surprised about both schools never playing Columbia since they aren't that far apart and usually teams like using a "big city" as an excuse to visit.

Like when I was in school, AU got "named" opponents because teams wanted to play a couple of games in DC

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am not an alum of Mason

Of course - Columbia has never played American either

I am a little surprised about both schools never playing Columbia since they aren't that far apart and usually teams like using a "big city" as an excuse to visit.

Like when I was in school, AU got "named" opponents because teams wanted to play a couple of games in DC

American did play Bradley once, in the 1982 NIT.

*whistles*

The fact that it was in the NIT makes it a victory for AU

I can't remember off the top of my head if it was 82 or 83 was the year AU upset Georgetown and John Thompson vowed to never play them again (and he was true to his word)

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The fact that it was in the NIT makes it a victory for AU

I can't remember off the top of my head if it was 82 or 83 was the year AU upset Georgetown and John Thompson vowed to never play them again (and he was true to his word)

12/15/82.

I'd imagine it's not fair for Mark (Odessa) or me to bring up IU, but I also feel like IU has sucked more than they've been good so who knows.

EDIT: This has to be recency bias over how close to .500 they've been each season for a little bit now. Bring back the Tom Crean years.

Edited by Craig H

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Since we're all looking for various amusements, I thought I'd get this going. Ever wonder how your college basketball team did against other DVDVR denizens? Well, wonder no more. Punch your school in, add someone else's from here and watch the sparks fly.

Ex. I plug in my school (Bradley) vs @DEAN's (VCU) and get the following results:

Year Date   Schl Rk.   Opp Rk.     PTS OPP MOV   OT
2007-08 2007-12-22   Bradley     Virginia Commonwealth   L   64 79 -15    
2006-07 2007-02-17   Bradley   @ Virginia Commonwealth   W   73 64 9    
1989-90 1989-12-14   Bradley   @ Virginia Commonwealth   L   66 89 -23    
1988-89 1989-02-08   Bradley     Virginia Commonwealth   W   75 70 5  

So, 2-2 overall. Of course we won the game that mattered (the BRACKET BUSTERS matchup that aired on ESPN in 2007). ?

So what you got?

Wichita State is 71-68 all-time against Bradley.  I like that: fairly even but WSU has the edge, as it should be.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 11:38 AM, Zimbra said:

Wichita State is 71-68 all-time against Bradley.  I like that: fairly even but WSU has the edge, as it should be.

Yup... you caught up to us in the last 10 years or so.

People don't realize how huge Bradley basketball was, especially in the 50s... #1 in the country a bunch of times, with multiple NIT titles back before that brand got diluted. Robertson Fieldhouse was the Cameron of its day- an absolute hellhole to play in, with a Vandy-style setup (raised floor, teams on opposite baselines). We finished there with a record of exactly 400-100 before moving downtown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'd imagine it's not fair for Mark (Odessa) or me to bring up IU, but I also feel like IU has sucked more than they've been good so who knows.

EDIT: This has to be recency bias over how close to .500 they've been each season for a little bit now. Bring back the Tom Crean years.

There are probably College Park grads here, so that’s one big win against the Hoosier alumni. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, sabremike said:

Yeah, don't think my D-3 Purchase Panthers have played any school anyone on this forum went to.

Based on a couple minutes of googling, I can find no evidence that they have played the Alma Scots at any point.

• Haha 1