DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/1/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I'm choosing to ignore that it's obviously shots at Vince's weird quirks (which I don't mind, but doesn't make much of a gimmick), and just see the Brodie Lee character as a megalomaniac. Which is probably the intended impression you're supposed to come away with, but as it is right now, they're leaning way too hard into the McMahon shots.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dewar said:

This is what Brodie left WWE for? Should have gone to Japan to be a dominant gaijin instead of the leader of a mid-card for life stable.

He should have taken out both Dustin & QT at the end there -- Undertaker Ministry style. Neither of those 2 have any future prospects meriting primetime TV wins unless it was to hype the leader immediately afterwards. As it was, his faction - and by example him - looked weak and lame.

Pro Wrestling gets looked on as a joke by many we all know this. But last night I was sitting home and one of my clients messaged me on LinkedIn saying essentially  "wow all we here about is Coronavirus and these guys are on tv wrestling and it says live, isn't it all fake anyway"    I am curious how many other non fans were channel surfing and scratching their heads. Plus with all of the "watch WrestleMania free" ads out there.  We all know Mania was taped already but the casual and non fan groups would have to assume both nights are live.  I think running shows now is going to make wrestling look worse in the mainstream than it already does. 

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm choosing to ignore that it's obviously shots at Vince's weird quirks (which I don't mind, but doesn't make much of a gimmick), and just see the Brodie Lee character as a megalomaniac. Which is probably the intended impression you're supposed to come away with, but as it is right now, they're leaning way too hard into the McMahon shots.

I really dug the 'not the first old man that didn't believe in me' on first week.  The week 2 sneeze vignette was perfect.  What was the obvious Vince reference this week?  I just saw this as  moving forward with Brodie the megalomaniac.

Anna Jayy has a good look and potential.  I really like Colt Cabana's in ring work, but his commentary has always been weak.  So many stupid calls and weak comparions.  

Moxley-Hager video was okay, but am I the only that thinks Moxley's promos are feeling a bit too generic?  I guess the honeymoon is over.

Kenny-Trent and the Archer squash were terrific.  The Natural Nightmares are certainly not bad, but reek of second rate. 

The Main event was mostly fine, but that betting bullshit made no sense and just added to the bush league feel to the match and the show.  Stupid finish - made Darby look like a dweeb.  And I don't get Spears taking the win.  I'm not a hater, but the way he sells and interacts feels cartoon; which is fine for Dark matches.  He's not a player and has no business scoring a win in a match with the likes of Darby, Cody and Sammy.

Jericho is a funny guy, I'm a big fan, but that vignette was a bit too much BTE for my tastes.  I was into the absurdity of the promo he cut last week, but I don't wanna see it every week, and I'm already tired of this Vanguard 1 interaction bullshit.  The dogs running out was cute and, what the fuck, completely evident of the inessential place holder bush league nature of this show right now.  That said, I'm sure my mom would have a hoot with that segment.  

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Pro Wrestling gets looked on as a joke by many we all know this. But last night I was sitting home and one of my clients messaged me on LinkedIn saying essentially  "wow all we here about is Coronavirus and these guys are on tv wrestling and it says live, isn't it all fake anyway"    I am curious how many other non fans were channel surfing and scratching their heads. Plus with all of the "watch WrestleMania free" ads out there.  We all know Mania was taped already but the casual and non fan groups would have to assume both nights are live.  I think running shows now is going to make wrestling look worse in the mainstream than it already does. 

I completely agree.  I think they're doing a really good job with what they have, but at this point it's such a third rate version of the show.  It feels like it's time to shut it down and do 'best of' comp shows.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Goddamn did I love everything about Archer's debut.  As soon as "Everybody Dies!" kicked in I just got insanely excited and that didn't stop throughout the match or post-match.  I didn't realize how much I became of fan of his but man am I glad to see him around.  Heck, even Havoc proved to be useful as I loved how giddy he was throughout it all.  As for Lee I think last week was more of a blatant jab at VKM.  This was like Casey more of a case of the leader just having some really weird quirks to him.  Heck, even if that was all stuff Vince did it still fits the character that Lee's doing anyway.

• Like 2

Archer really absorbed everything  Suzuki taught him, and whatever he saw working with him. He really understands what it takes to be a believable intimidating, and ruthless heel. He’d be a great teacher if he wanted to be.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Casey said:

I just don't get why anyone would hang around with him? What's Brodie Lee/Dark Order trying to achieve with these vignettes? It doesn't make any sense!

Like for example....Aces and Eights. (they wore masks for a while so yeah)...yeah no surprise to anyone that Bully Ray turned out to be a selfish prick who drove everyone away, but for a time the group was together for brotherhood, love of chaos, shared success etc. It did make sense. Brodie Lee has made similar noises, but #8 and #9 didn't have strength in numbers....just all seems kinda nonsensical.

Maybe it will work itself out, but atm it seems like he's just trying to be a prick to get heat. Not sure if it will work.

• Like 1

I think the Brodie thing is hurt by (and this kills me) his being unable to perform the role. He doesn't have the mannerisms or acting chops to get over what he's trying to get over. This role requires a switch were he goes from benevolent, charismatic leader to harsh lunatic who is taking small affronts too far. But there is no switch there where you get why people would be following him in the first place.  Where is the upside to being in the Dark Order if the boss is a unrepentant jerk ass?  They need to make him positive as well as negative and he's not pulling that off.

I like Shida's new gear since its less busy than what she was wearing with all the ruffles and white and blue and red. I also liked Jayy's gear especially the cuff links which may be something that could be lifted for Private Party in a couple weeks and would fit if you don't think Jayy doesn't belong on the roster. I think she's ... below average. Her lock ups are really awkward and fake. I don't know what that backslide was but it was no good.  I liked Shida finishing with the falcon arrow  instead of the running knee but wish they didn't go right to Chuck Taylor for the inside joke.

Archer squashing Marko was the right choice although I'm sad they missed whatever knocked out the ringside guy since that was an important shot to get. I think this is the right roll for Marko and what they should have done with him from the start.  Crush him so when he gets into a spot where a big upset win would mean more. I thought I saw Orange Cassidy smiling super broadly after Marko got choke slammed onto him and please let me be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s also odd to have generally liked and known nice guy Brodie Lee given this gimmick. 

I guess it could be worse. Given he used to be a library assistant, they could have made him the third Librarian. 

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

I think the Brodie thing is hurt by (and this kills me) his being unable to perform the role. He doesn't have the mannerisms or acting chops to get over what he's trying to get over. This role requires a switch were he goes from benevolent, charismatic leader to harsh lunatic who is taking small affronts too far. But there is no switch there where you get why people would be following him in the first place.  Where is the upside to being in the Dark Order if the boss is a unrepentant jerk ass?  They need to make him positive as well as negative and he's not pulling that off.

Ha ha ha, I think we posted at the same time.

• Like 1

what’s there to really discuss. Nobody really wants to watch this shit. A big part of the professional wrestling audience are people that are over 50. You know the people that are the most vulnerable to this shit. The ones that probably aren’t focused on any hobbies they enjoy and are probably focused on the news.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

First week was interesting. But then the novelty has worn off, and you have more cases around the country building up. Especially now in the south. It went from “I hope this is over in two weeks” to “holy shit this isn’t going to be over and it’s gonna be worse than we expected”. A depressing empty arena wrestling show is not something I really want to watch live.

Being in the stores working was fine the first week, but I can see the morale is slowly fading from citizens, including me. I actually enjoyed this low traffic Miami Dade county for that period, but this is falling apart. Seeing that blackness behind those guard rails isn’t a calming mental image when I get home.

i’ll say this also about the ratings. This depressing image is probably upsetting fans a lot. It could also be hurting the future image of these promotions, and storylines. If you are a wrestling promoter you are only hurting your brand by putting the company in this spot. Just throwing stuff out there to fill time feels desperate, and shady. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Still weird that people keep trying to shoot down any discussion of ratings.

I don't really know what to make of things. I'm in the camp where you figure even more people are indoors now more than ever so ratings for most stuff should be up, not just for news, but for everything. I'm too lazy to do it myself, but I wish there was a week to week comparison for all programming over the last 6 weeks. I abhor Fox News and most news in general because none of this shit is even changing and it's mostly bullshit that comes out of this guy's mouth every day. Given that you have more of a choice than ever for what to watch, it's just dumb to always watch the same shit when you could watch something different.

News ratings are way way up. 

But AEW has fallen relative to other non-news entertainment shows over these three weeks (and NXT has become a literal non-factor ever since the show with no matches.)