DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/1/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I misread there.  If what we get is Billionaire Ted 2020 then I’m with you.  If it means Brodie Lee going out and doing his thing to the best of his ability whilst playing a megalomaniac heel then I’m at least into giving it a chance especially when it’s been mostly great thus far.  

Brodie Lee may be spoofing VKM but when he sat down and asked the yawning guy, "Are you having trouble at home?" I had immediate flashbacks to the terrible boss I had. So while the specifics may be niche to wrestling nerds, it probably does translate to a general audience. Of course, my boss wasn't over six feet with a big beard and a top knot, that's closer to a cult leader look. I think they have to strike the right balance between the two if it's going to work. I personally don't care for taking shots at the competition (if they backfire, it's far more embarrassing than if you said nothing), but I'm happy to watch someone else exorcise their demons.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The Boo birds are kinda jumping the gun on the Brodie burial, no? 

It having been 20ish years since you've watched WWE, I'll fill you in on some of what you've missed: People have seen him be great. It's disappointing to see him play off type and be far less than that. 

If he wants to push on with this and grow into the role and find his voice, more power to him. But this is so clearly rough stuff that's not ready for primetime, as is literally every single thing the Dark Order has done on television. No exceptions. Nobody is jumping the gun in pointing that out. 

He's a great talent and I have high hopes for him. But I'm disappointed in what I've seen so far. 

And to be clear, my criticism would stand even if he didn't have obvious daddy issues when it comes to his former employer. I see what he's going for independent of that, and it's just not a great fit. It's bad wrestler acting. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Brodie Lee may be spoofing VKM but when he sat down and asked the yawning guy, "Are you having trouble at home?" I had immediate flashbacks to the terrible boss I had. 

Same! I yawned at work (hangover) "Are we boring you?" "...Yes." I don't have that job anymore.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2020 at 7:48 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s unbelievable that Popeye’s is slowly taking over KFC’s spot. I blame Little Nicky. But Popeye’s Chicken is the shit.

KFC is very over in China, so the Colonel can rest easy tonight.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 8:06 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Based on the interview with Jericho, I get the sense that Lee has a strong desire to prove he can play against type. The results thus far haven't been encouraging. 

If he really wanted to play against type, he should "prove" to Vince McMahon that he can do a southern accent like his uncle, Tennessee Lee.

19 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It having been 20ish years since you've watched WWE, I'll fill you in on some of what you've missed: People have seen him be great. It's disappointing to see him play off type and be far less than that. 

If he wants to push on with this and grow into the role and find his voice, more power to him. But this is so clearly rough stuff that's not ready for primetime, as is literally every single thing the Dark Order has done on television. No exceptions. Nobody is jumping the gun in pointing that out. 

He's a great talent and I have high hopes for him. But I'm disappointed in what I've seen so far. 

And to be clear, my criticism would stand even if he didn't have obvious daddy issues when it comes to his former employer. I see what he's going for independent of that, and it's just not a great fit. It's bad wrestler acting. 

Perhaps what you're used to from Brodie Lee is playing a part in your Opinion.  

I really liked his debut promo.  And the debut in general - for what it was.  I don't think you'd find too many ppl that would disagree that it would have been huge had it happened live in his hometown.  The second week 'sneeze' vignette was fun and funny.  This week was marred by poor editing and less of a solid idea of what to do.  Not sure what you're qualifying as bad acting.  He seems very believabale in this role and his elecution is excellent.  Sometimes a little patience goes a long way, but we'll see.   

• Like 1

Who wants to see someone typecast in the same role? I applaud Brodie and AEW for going for something different, especially after listening to him on Jericho's podcast. The ideas he came up with were certainly better than what Vince wanted from him. I liked the Bludgeon Brothers partially because it wasn't Brodie and Rowan simply as Bray's hillbilly lackeys again.

I think perception of the Brodie thing would be different if not for the sneezing thing last week, which felt kind of tacked on and was obviously directed at Vince. Before that, it felt like it was a dig/inside joke at Vince’s expense that could also be passed off like evil cult leader version of Bill Lumberg that could have messed with the Dark Order recruitment videos. Now, subsequent stuff is being perceived by many as a dig at Vince rather than Brodie doing something new.

I’ll be fine with it, if they go overboard with the Vince stuff. Like getting on the Dark Order private jet, and abandoning the rest of Dark Order in Cleveland to fend for themselves. Or maybe also if the crew is fed up they’ll ask for their release from the Dark Order, but somehow he’s able to convince them to stick around by giving them a bigger role, until they fail, and he’ll say “told you so”. In the end they just have to perform the role better. That’s what really counts.

Clock’s ticking for Brodie. His knees are looking real shot at this point. If this is his last big chance to prove something, I want him to get enough time to do it.

Oh shit I just thought of something. Maybe JR can interview him. Those always work wonders. But make sure it’s also a spoof of the Bob Costas interview.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Lots of the biggest movie stars ever have paid for several large homes being typecast. Not everyone is Daniel Day-Lewis. Some people are best off playing some variation of their type.

That's fine for them, but as a consumer I don't have to buy it.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’ll be fine with it, if they go overboard with the Vince stuff. Like getting on the Dark Order private jet, and abandoning the rest of Dark Order in Cleveland to fend for themselves. Or maybe also if the crew is fed up they’ll ask for their release from the Dark Order, but somehow he’s able to convince them to stick around by giving them a bigger role, until they fail, and he’ll say “told you so”. In the end they just have to perform the role better. That’s what really counts.

Clock’s ticking for Brodie. His knees are looking real shot at this point. If this is his last big chance to prove something, I want him to get enough time to do it.

Oh shit I just thought of something. Maybe JR can interview him. Those always work wonders. But make sure it’s also a spoof of the Bob Costas interview.

...and remember folks, that's just a sneak preview of some of the horrible ideas that could come out of this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Jason Lee can come in as his version of Rod. No wait, the Necro Butcher can do it.

I don't think Necro can do much these days. 

...and how does Jason Lee fit into this aside from Brodie getting his ring name from Lee's Mallrats character, Brodie Bruce?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think Necro can do much these days. 

...and how does Jason Lee fit into this aside from Brodie getting his ring name from Lee's Mallrats character, Brodie Bruce?

He got the name name because short haired and facially groomed he looks just like Jason Lee.

49 minutes ago, AxB said:

He got the name name because short haired and facially groomed he looks just like Jason Lee.

That, I know. I misunderstood and thought someone was trying to somehow shoehorn Jason Lee into the Dark Order.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That, I know. I misunderstood and thought someone was trying to somehow shoehorn Jason Lee into the Dark Order.

If it's Jason Lee from Dogma, Azrael I think, then yes please! Those skate boarding minions of his knew to lay their strikes in, not like the one Creeper who went viral for his "strikes" on Dustin.

• Thanks 1