DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/1/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Popeyes has like 800 more locations and a large portion of those locations are in low income areas. So if you want lunch/dinner for less than $15, that's the place to go. 

I've never went to Chick-fil-A and spent less than $15.

I’m in agreement with some of you guys here. I like the Brodie gimmick but he needs to snap a little bit more with his angry moments. OR they are pre-taped, so have a good agent there to get them to do multiple takes. I get the concept of not wanting to give notes when your biggest selling point to talent is creative control over their character decisions but you honestly need to find a way to tighten things up.

I like Murderhawk. I’ve seen little of his work in NJPW, but him throwing around Marlo was cool. Him + Jake the Snake is a killer combo. 

Jericho’s dogs are cute. 

I’m not appalled that they’re doing shows. I understand some of you not liking that and I totally respect your reasoning for it. It’s not exactly social distancing and if you look at that as distasteful, I hear you. I’m maybe naive enough to think they’re testing and working these situations safely. If I’m wrong, then God I’m sorry. 

Edit: team Popeyes here

edit 2: OR Brodie could be more like De Niro and intimidate with angry calmness. 

Edit 3: I remember my first beer.

Edited by OctopusCinema

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

That's insanity to me.

Zaxby's is easily better than both, though.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I had never heard of Zaxby’s until we went for work to Ocala back in 05 or so. 

i remember the chicken I got being fine. 

Granted I'm near a college town, but we have a Zaxby's and Raising Cane's. It's basically the same thing to me.

1 minute ago, OctopusCinema said:

I’m not appalled that they’re doing shows. I understand some of you not liking that and I totally respect your reasoning for it. It’s not exactly social distancing and if you look at that as distasteful, I hear you. I’m maybe naive enough to think they’re testing and working these situations safely. If I’m wrong, then God I’m sorry. 

If Sugar Dunkerton is to be believed, then yeah they're testing and practicing social distancing backstage. I'm pretty sure the guys and gals in the audience were 6 feet apart (this time), too. I'm also not particularly disgusted or anything that they're still doing shows, but on the other hand I do wish the show was made up more of stuff like the Jake Roberts promo, Jericho's promo, etc. Maybe a match or two, or re-air previous PPV/Dynamite matches, but I'm not going to get all worked up about them still running either.

@Elsalvajeloco I've never heard of Raising Cane. All I know is that Zaxby's has some bomb ass chicken sandwiches that are never brought up in these Popeyes vs Chick-fil-A vs whoever else discussions that were popular a few months ago.

• Like 1

That's a really good bracket too with how everything has come about. Not a lot predictable. I assume we get Dustin vs Archer in the semis. Then again, Colt vs Kip has also been set up - Cody getting eliminated by Spears or Darby, and so Archer not having any use for the tournament, and getting disqualified by beating up Dustin or Colt isn't unlikely?

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

If Sugar Dunkerton is to be believed, then yeah they're testing and practicing social distancing backstage. I'm pretty sure the guys and gals in the audience were 6 feet apart (this time), too. I'm also not particularly disgusted or anything that they're still doing shows, but on the other hand I do wish the show was made up more of stuff like the Jake Roberts promo, Jericho's promo, etc. Maybe a match or two, or re-air previous PPV/Dynamite matches, but I'm not going to get all worked up about them still running either.

@Elsalvajeloco I've never heard of Raising Cane. All I know is that Zaxby's has some bomb ass chicken sandwiches that are never brought up in these Popeyes vs Chick-fil-A vs whoever else discussions that were popular a few months ago.

Chicken sandwiches may be a different story, but as far as the chicken fingers/tenders...it's the same. Except Raising Cane has Texas Toast instead of regular toast and coleslaw.

Scratch that, Raising Cane's does have cole slaw. So yeah, it's basically the same thing.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Bojangles or gtfo

Honestly I've never tried one of those Popeyes sandwiches that everyone is talking about as there's no Popeyes convenient to me. The Bojangles chicken supremes, seasoned fries, and cajun filet biscuit are hard to fuck with.

I don't go to Chikfila often but their Polynesian dipping sauce is awesome.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Bojangles or gtfo

Honestly I've never tried one of those Popeyes sandwiches that everyone is talking about as there's no Popeyes convenient to me. The Bojangles chicken supremes, seasoned fries, and cajun filet biscuit are hard to fuck with.

I don't go to Chikfila often but their Polynesian dipping sauce is awesome.

Get out of here, homer.

35 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Bojangles or gtfo

Honestly I've never tried one of those Popeyes sandwiches that everyone is talking about as there's no Popeyes convenient to me.

They are good, but not fight a motherfucker for them good. That insanity a bit back was just weird, especially since people kept pretending the sandwich was new when it had been out for a good year already.

To add to the chicken debate, I had a delicious chicken cordon bleu sandwich today from a local shop, Mike's Country Market. I've got both a Popeye's and KFC nearby, but I don't really frequent either very much.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

5e405b4fd129855a-600x338.gif

Watching this back got me thinking about the great segments Chris Jericho's done in his career:

Armbar/Man of 1004 holds. WCW, March 1998.

Going to Washington DC as a conspiracy victim. WCW, June 1998.

Chris Jericho's WWF debut in a promo battle versus the Rock. WWF, August 1999.

Chris Jericho turns heel as he slams Shawn Michaels' face into the JeriTron's glass. WWE, June 2008. This is a callback to Michaels putting Marty Jannetty 's face through the Barber Shop window.

Festival of Friendship with Kevin Owens. WWE, February 2017.

A Little Bit of the Bubbly. AEW, August 2019.

The Youngest AEW Champion in History. AEW, August 2019.

Release the Hounds. AEW, April 2020.

• Like 2

One thing with Brodie, I'm not that sure he's completely mocking Vince each time out. He's a control freak. All the masks and hidden faces, maybe it's some weird Zed and the Gimp situation where he has to be the domineering one all of the time? I'm reaching, sure. I'm almost sure I read in this forum once or twice that DO came off like a weird sex cult or something. If that is the vibe, could Brodie be taking it to the next level and he just wants to control everyone around him all the time because he gets a kick out of having that power?

Just saying, Dark Order has been a slow burn all this time. While there's been missteps and growing pains, I think I'm fine giving them some leeway for a month or three to see where they go with Brodie.

I'd like to remember Matt Hardy at the start of his broken phase, when the board had a dumpster fire thread about him. It almost feels like another slow burn where everything in the present looks ridiculous but we get to the big picture and suddenly it makes sense. 

Not saying that it's the same situation and all, just thinking aloud that as this plays out over months maybe we see what they wanted to do with the Dark Order and Lee all along, especially with how they shifted gears and cut some acts like Brandi's group but they've kept DO going and growing. And like Broken Matt, just maybe, fingers crossed, it pays off big time creatively.

Edited by Hayabusa
  • Like 3

The Boo birds are kinda jumping the gun on the Brodie burial, no?  This seemed to start with somebody saying he was mocking Vince again this week as opposed to just playing a megalomaniacal leader.  What was the Vince reference I missed?  And then complaints about his acting ability?  From what I’m seeing that seems like a really weak argument.  He’s beginning his run during a clearly difficult time in the promotion, I think I’ll give him a small benefit of the doubt.  And continue enjoying what he’s doing.  Seems to me week 1 and 2 were pretty fucking great.  The vignette this week was marred by bad editing.  It wasn’t as good as last week, but it wasn’t bad.  And the post match power bomb was brutal and fun - not unlike Archer tossing around Marko.  All hail the exalted one.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

What was the Vince reference I missed?

The "yawn" stuff was a thinly veiled reference to Vince's reported hatred of sneezes. Whether you're one of the ones enjoying these segments or one of its detractors, it's very clear they're lampooning Vince.

Brodie will be fine when they re-tool him and drop this horrible gimmick they've been trying to force for 5 months now.

I think “thinly veiled” is kind of relative in this case.  Unless you’re deep into the dirt sheets/shoot video scene, you probably have no idea that the “Vince hates sneezing” stuff is even a thing.  It’s certainly never been part of his on-screen character.  I hadn’t ever even heard about the steak wrap stuff until last week’s episode, and I’ve been reading backstage gossipy shit about wrestling for over 20 years. Even given the “smart” bent of AEW’s audience, this little detail is so far out in the weeds, I would wager that a significant majority have no idea what’s going on under the hood.

• Like 1

I did like how Lee came off after beating his masked disciple at least. I think ultimately it’ll be the chemistry between Brodie, and Evil Uno, as well as the actor they hired to play the PR guy for the Dark Order that will determine how well this will turn out.

I think the Vince stuff gets to us fans more because we know the guy he’s basing his character on, and it comes off more as a petty potshot. But it’s not uncommon for wrestlers to base their gimmicks on real life characters, and famous, or infamous celebrities. So I don’t necessarily mind that he’s taking inspiration from somewhere else for this new act. And there is something juicy to base a character off of Vince’s real life offstage persona. He just needs to get better at performing it, and whoever is filming this, get better at shooting it. Because currently it feels second rate compared to Darby’s, and Archer’s video packages. Which I believe is done by people they personally know(Darby and Archer have been sharing the same guy recently).

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

The "yawn" stuff was a thinly veiled reference to Vince's reported hatred of sneezes. Whether you're one of the ones enjoying these segments or one of its detractors, it's very clear they're lampooning Vince.

'Thinly veiled' reference is fair, but 'direct' reference (as was being grumbled about) is certainly arguable.  In which case poo pooing something over a Vince reference is limp bullshit.  Using Vince as an influence on a character seems fair and long overdue.  Not to mention smart.  And considering the guy just spent a year under his thumb for little to no good reason it feels quite right. 

I find the board (IWC?)  sensitivity toward shots between companies very strange and interesting.  And funny.  I'm trying to think of an example that has ever actually bothered me?    

Brodie will be fine when they re-tool him and drop this horrible gimmick they've been trying to force for 5 months now.

If by re-tool you mean a better outfit, I'm with you.  I say more black, less tacky design. 

Seems to me ppl were wrapped up in the Exalted One reveal angle, and most were pretty happy with the result - save for it not happening, as originally planned, in front of the man's hometown crowd going absolutely bananas.  In 5 months?  5 months down the line seems a bit uncertain, no?  Further, I'll never understand what's not to love about the team of Stu Grayson and Evil Uno?  They're goddamned poetry in motion!  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

46 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

In 5 months?  5 months down the line seems a bit uncertain, no?

I meant 5 months since Dynamite's debut. The Dark Order stuff took a *while* to build. If what we get for our wait is the 2020 version of Billionaire Ted vignettes, it's kind of a weak payoff IMO.