DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/1/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I think it might have a lot to do with people knowing both companies are just treading water right now. We're all expecting them to do the right thing and shut it down, and we don't even know what wrestling will look like on the other side of this. Hard to get invested in storylines when we're just waiting on them to press pause. 

• Like 1

Postponing Blood & Guts was the right move for protecting the value of *that match*, but it sent a pretty clear message that nothing of significance is going to happen for the time being and devalued the whole show.

12 minutes ago, EVA said:

Postponing Blood & Guts was the right move for protecting the value of *that match*, but it sent a pretty clear message that nothing of significance is going to happen for the time being and devalued the whole show.

What, except debuting a new title? And debuting multiple mid-to-upper card additions?

Yeah, I don't buy that argument that @EVA presented. Both AEW and NXT are still putting on shows that further angles and debut new characters, it's business as usual pretty much. I think the people that watch either show (or both) are pretty focused on the news right now. Shit kind of hit the fan, worldwide, last night, too.

• Like 1

Yeah - it’s all a bit bread and circuses at the moment, state of the world considered. That said, they’re doing the best they can with the shows. Find it a bit difficult to criticise any employers in these circumstances (wrestling promoters included); the shows stop, presumably the wages to the staff stop .. keep going and they get criticised.. it’s just a shitty situation all way round for everyone involved the world round right now 

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

Also how exactly is an empty arena entertainment program supposed to make you forget about the real world? The fact that nobody is in the crowd is constantly reminding you that we are all in a bad place. If the goal is “Putting frowns on people’s faces” then I can buy their logic at the moment.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

22 minutes ago, A_K said:

What, except debuting a new title? And debuting multiple mid-to-upper card additions?

Brodie and Matt were the first week, when ratings were great (close to 1 mil).  They canceled Blood & Guts the week after that.

I love Archer, but I don’t think he moves the needle, at this point.

The new title is a midcard title that was announced on the YouTube show that draws like 300,000 views in a week.  Comes across more as “here’s a tournament of repeat matches that we can use to burn TV time” rather than something that’s a big deal.  Time will tell if they can change that perception, of course.

Edited by EVA

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The fact that nobody is in the crowd is constantly reminding you that we are all in a bad place.

The fact Britt Baker was in the makeshift crowd eating a Popeyes' chicken sandwich lets me know we are in bad place. First Whataburger...now she's eating Popeyes in Chick-fil-A territory. 

Maybe all the sodium will help her build a resistance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe she’s morally opposed to eating at Chik Fil A?

We're coming up with promo material for AEW.

I'll BRB...I am about to hit up TK with my cash app.

3 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

So is QT's school just an old repurposed football training facility? That's random as hell.

There are multiple MMA gyms that use to be (in the case of Hard Knocks 365, may still be) football training facilities. 

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Georgia isn't Chik-fil-A territory, that's Tennessee.

Naw chief, it's Georgia.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Wasn’t it founded in Georgia? 

and they sponsor what used to be the Peach bowl? 

It's still the Peach Bowl but they have the sponsorship rights (although it was just the Chick-fil-A Bowl for awhile). But yes to both, and the HQ is in College Park.

• Like 1

I’m willing to give Brodie Lee a chance in this role. The current climate doesn’t really help his current act. On the other hand if it was Archer in the same role, I think it would’ve been an instant home run. Just look how much of a bully presence he comes across in one squash. It wasn’t just the way he handled Marko, but also the way he intimidated the ref.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Georgia isn't Chik-fil-A territory, that's Tennessee.

Wait, what? CFA HQ is in South Atlanta. The OG Dwarf House is in Hapeville. Ga is ChikFilA as hell.

Is Popeyes not more popular, though? I guess that's basically what I was referring to. The only thing good going for Chik-fil-A are their spicy sandwiches and that's about it.

I don’t know the scale popularity anymore Chik-fil-A, but I know the scarcity of establishments in my neck of the woods helped create a demand for it.

Edit: According to 247Wallst.com the top 5 are 5.Bojangles 4. Zaxby’s(?) 3. Popeye’s 2. KFC 1. Chik-fil-A.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs