Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

There is also Twitter rumblings that WWE sources have confirmed that if any WWE talent asks for their release now, it will be granted

Link to post
Share on other sites

I could swear Hennig was already gone, but it may have been one of those obvious releases we all speculated about and it just never happened until now.

Also, I'll go out on a limb and say Dutch is probably full of shit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I could swear Hennig was already gone, but it may have been one of those obvious releases we all speculated about and it just never happened until now.

Both members of the B-Squared were "reported" as released by sketchy Twitter/Reddit accounts and then reposted here (think also the Andrade rumor)

Quote

Also, I'll go out on a limb and say Dutch is probably full of shit.

Considering he has rival giant corporations buy it together, yes, yes he is

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Unless they know something we don't, I can't imagine why anyone would buy a live event business right now.  Unless the price is really good, but I can't imagine Vince selling the company cheaply.

I mean, if I got a chance to buy an NFL club during a pandemic, I'd probably go for it.  But a pro wrestling company that wasn't pulling great ratings anyway?  The forecasts I've seen at work suggest clients are going to start pouring ad dollars into streaming platforms and away from traditional television outlets.  It's tough to sell advertising on pro wrestling shows anyway.  Going to get a lot tougher.

Also why would Disney or Fox buy a company that has tv deals with their competitors? Sure the checks for the rights fees are nice but aren't these big media companies looking to run content they own on a platform they also own so they get all the money?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, happjack said:

Also why would Disney or Fox buy a company that has tv deals with their competitors? Sure the checks for the rights fees are nice but aren't these big media companies looking to run content they own on a platform they also own so they get all the money?

Contracts expire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Both members of the B-Squared

I'm going to assume that this was auto-correct and that @RIPPA spends a lot of time discussing Bull Buchanan.

Edited by GodzillaPerez
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Contracts expire.

True but aren't the deals for Raw on USA and SmackDown on FOX pretty long? Also with Disney's theme parks shutdown and not looking to open anytime soon and no live sports on ESPN can they really toss a large amount of money at Vince without the Board of Directors and shareholders freaking out? The money from the theme parks and ESPN is what fueled Disney's epic shopping spree and that money isn't coming back until next year at the earliest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a couple pages being behind here, but what's hilarious is to listen to JR when he was in a three man booth with Vince, where he was stuck doing color instead of play by play, and he would every once in a while just start doing the move names every time Vince gave him an opening. (To say nothing of his first brief heel run when he would berate Vince with move names)

Fast-forward a generation, and he's just mocking the hell out of Excalibur for caring about the names of moves.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, speaking of released WWE guys, I didn't see it posted, but Cody on IG said AEW has no interest in signing Heath Slater.  

Guess he's still pissed about getting beat up by Nexus. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm assuming whoever told that to Dutch, Dutch misheard/misspoke and it's that they are trying to sell to Fox or Disney, pitting them against each other to bid it up. Still not anywhere close to convinced it's true, mind you...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, caley said:

The biggest thing that got me about Wolfpack Konnan and beyond was he would say the exact same thing week-in-week-out.  "You know them fools in the black and white be talkin about that for life but K-Dawg and the Wolfpac somos unos Vatos Locos forever but more importantly (name of the city) is bout it bout it and rowdy rowdy!"  Every goddamn week.  Then when he was with the Filthy Animals, he'd come out and talk about his jacket then say to Tigress "Go ahead, feel it.  That's enough".  And it was the same spiel every week.  I used to yell at the TV: "Shut up! Say something else!" 

That was very WCW, though.  Where WWE now has signature spots that they insist on wrestlers working in EVERY match whether it makes sense or not (Sami's backflip off the guardrail; Ambrose's rebound lariat etc. etc.), late-era WCW tried to have catchphrases for everyone.  But Konnan was not the first offender.  That, my friends, was Rick Steiner who would come to the ring and just say "If you want some, come get some.  If you don't like me, bite me."  and it was all he ever said.  Every week.  Every. Single. Week. 


That's not how I remember it. Steiner started doing that after he turned heel in 1999, while Konnan had been doing his deal for most of 1998.

The thing is, though - the New Age Outlaws were doing their thing before both. Like a lot of late-era WCW things, I think this is actually another example of them badly ripping off WWF Attitude.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting aside the ethics/danger of empty arena shows, in general, but isn’t it grotesquely irresponsibile of AEW to have blood in their matches during a pandemic?! Between Britt-Shida and last night’s Dustin-Archer, I’m fascinated that there isn’t more outcry over this?!  Archer was even wiping Dustin’s blood on his hands.  Now I could see if this was live and a hard way situation, but these are taped and could have/should have been stopped until the bleeding had stopped.  I know people wanted blood back in their wrestling but this seems like ENTIRELY the wrong time/place.  I

Link to post
Share on other sites

At one point, Road Dogg would be talking all the way down the aisle, and only do the long intro catchphrase at the end of his promo. I don't remember when exactly he became nothing but the same spiel every week, but I think it was around the same time Billy stopped trying in the ring at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

I'm going to assume that this was auto-correct and that @RIPPA spends a lot of time discussing Bull Buchanan.

Nope I am just an idiot

B-Squared would have been a much better name than B-Team

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, caley said:

Putting aside the ethics/danger of empty arena shows, in general, but isn’t it grotesquely irresponsibile of AEW to have blood in their matches during a pandemic?! Between Britt-Shida and last night’s Dustin-Archer, I’m fascinated that there isn’t more outcry over this?!  Archer was even wiping Dustin’s blood on his hands.  Now I could see if this was live and a hard way situation, but these are taped and could have/should have been stopped until the bleeding had stopped.  I know people wanted blood back in their wrestling but this seems like ENTIRELY the wrong time/place.  I

Check the promotion name, then you know why.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, happjack said:

True but aren't the deals for Raw on USA and SmackDown on FOX pretty long?

The Fox deal runs until the fall of 2024. I don't know when the USA deal ends, but I'm confident it ends around then or probably well before then.

Compared to the TV deals that the NFL or NBA make in terms of length, that's a drop in the bucket. Years pass pretty goddamn quickly. 

28 minutes ago, happjack said:

can they really toss a large amount of money at Vince without the Board of Directors and shareholders freaking out? 

They can do whatever they want if Vince is willing to sale for what they believe is completely reasonable. Also, why would be the shareholders be freaking out? Who would WWE be more stable under? Seventy four year old going on seventy five Vince McMahon or Disney? Either way, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Still not anywhere close to convinced it's true, mind you...

When the subject was broached on WOR on Tuesday, Meltzer did not shoot it down at all. Make of it what you will. Moreover, I am pretty sure there was talk and rumors of Vince possibly coming around on this idea last year. 

The question is if Vince will ask for some absurd number, which is highly possible.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Dave has said in the past Vince was open to selling if the number was right ever since the UFC deal, but this is the first time I've heard about him actively trying to find a deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Check the promotion name, then you know why.

Bias almost certainly has nothing to do with it. Respiratory viruses are rarely transmissible via blood, and there have been no documented cases of COVID-19 transmitting that way. Standing in the ring with someone, breathing, is far more dangerous. (As far as we know.)

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I know Dave has said in the past Vince was open to selling if the number was right ever since the UFC deal, but this is the first time I've heard about him actively trying to find a deal.

Hell, no one is going to come right out and say it. Dana shot down UFC being sold for months up until the week of damn near.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The entire WBF library could be the marinara on top of the spaghetti.

Old boxes of ICO-PRO the cherry on top of the marinara on top of the spaghetti?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...