DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Guest Edwin

Since we're talking about old school MMA and this is a pro-wrestling primary board, some notes from the PRIDE Secret Files:

• PRIDE wanted to sign Masakatsu Funaki, Minoru Suzuki, Shinya Hashimoto, Riki Choshu and Mitsuharu Misawa to face vale tudo fighters in shoot fights on the first PRIDE event, but they all declined as they were big enough names in pro-wrestling and they would be on the undercard and not the main event.
  • KRS wanted to create their own version of Tiger Mask. They reached out to Tiger Mask 4 who was in Michinoku Pro at the time, but he turned down the offer. Kiyoshi Tamura and Guy Mezger were the other 2 fighters they thought of choosing for the role, but that never panned out.
  • PRIDE also considered booking Vader in shoot fights, but he wasn't in the same shape he was in his prime and they opted not to proceed with the idea.
  • DEEP was supposed to be a pro-wrestling company and not the MMA company it turned out being. The original match ups they wanted to book were Nobuhiko Takada vs. Cactus Jack and the Road Warriors vs. NO FEAR.
  • Fights DEEP tried to put together: Kengo Watanabe vs. Animal (Animal turned it down), Minowaman vs. Tatsuhito Takaiwa (Takaiwa accepted, but ZERO-ONE turned it down), Ebessan vs. Alistair Overeem (never materialized), Kim Duk vs. the Cobra (George Takano turned it down) and they tried to sign NOSAWA Rongai to have some MMA fights, but it never materialized.
Edited by Edwin

Guest Edwin
6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That first PRIDE would have destroyed their careers worse than Inoki-ism. And Ebessan vs. Overeem sounds like the weirdest MMA matchup of all time. Would they allow him to fight in the mask?! 

frOeMBFbQ8D1Ig6WbI4JV9ioySvHOzUjHPdmYUuQ

hqdefault.jpg

QM9s1eKaX0w35R_duzaBmxC_9Qfi8kWRDWHeOeAu

Guest Edwin
Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Ah yeah, I remember Dos Caras Jr. now haha

El Canek, Solar, Brazo de Plata, Eletroshock and Kato Kung Lee fought in DEEP, too.

DEEP used to have a ton of these fights uploaded on their YouTube channel, but I couldn't find them.

56 minutes ago, AxB said:

Anyone else watching GCW: Lost in New York on IWTV right now? It's a Pop-Up video edition. The opening match is MJF vs Spyder Nate Webb, and Wheatus played Webb's entrance music live.

One of my markout moments of the year and I don't even have a big affinity for that song. Joey Janela, booker and promoter >>>>> Joey Janela, pro wrestler. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That first PRIDE would have destroyed their careers worse than Inoki-ism. And Ebessan vs. Overeem sounds like the weirdest MMA matchup of all time. Would they allow him to fight in the mask?! 

If there is ever such a thing as Game Changer MMA that should be the main event of the first show.

19 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

One of my markout moments of the year and I don't even have a big affinity for that song. Joey Janela, booker and promoter >>>>> Joey Janela, pro wrestler. 

The lead up to that event is what got me hooked on MJF. 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Anyone else watching GCW: Lost in New York on IWTV right now? It's a Pop-Up video edition. The opening match is MJF vs Spyder Nate Webb, and Wheatus played Webb's entrance music live.

I saw it when it first aired. That was a fun show to watch.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Since we're talking about old school MMA and this is a pro-wrestling primary board, some notes from the PRIDE Secret Files:

• PRIDE wanted to sign Masakatsu Funaki, Minoru Suzuki, Shinya Hashimoto, Riki Choshu and Mitsuharu Misawa to face vale tudo fighters in shoot fights on the first PRIDE event, but they all declined as they were big enough names in pro-wrestling and they would be on the undercard and not the main event.

I'm aware that a lot of crazy (and what would be originally thought as impractical) shit went down during the kakutougi boom, but what is with Takada and the open challenge shit? You would think after that failed in UWFi and UWFi had to then go groveling to New Japan when money got low this idea would never leave the board room. 

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

This makes it sound like PRIDE was specifically designed to destroy the Japanese pro wrestling industry!

BTW if you are watching the GCW Pop Up Video show you know why everyone here calls the commission the New York State Asshole Commission. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Haku was supposed to be at Lost in New York, but pulled out to attend the funeral for Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart.

And was replaced by Sabu. Although Teddy Hart did miss his uncle's funeral to work the show.

• Like 1

In a statement to ESPN Saturday, WWE addressed their return to live programming starting Monday, their first official acknowledgement of the move since the story broke Friday night. 

The statement read:

"We believe it is now more important than ever to provide people with a diversion from these hard times. We are producing content on a closed set with only essential personnel in attendance following appropriate guidelines while taking additional precautions to ensure the health and wellness of our performers and staff. As a brand that has been woven into the fabric of society, WWE and its Superstars bring families together and deliver a sense of hope, determination and perseverance."

Vince has finally powered up to his Super Carny Saiyan Blue form.  Awesome.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

El Canek, Solar, Brazo de Plata, Eletroshock and Kato Kung Lee fought in DEEP, too.

DEEP used to have a ton of these fights uploaded on their YouTube channel, but I couldn't find them.

Super jacked up Electroshock was beaten pretty quick by 50 pound lighter Hikaru Sato. I've seen most of those fights on Fight Network. Porky did his full dancing ring entrance and the MMA announcers had no idea what was going on or who he was. Solar featured low blows, eye gouging and the corners brawling after the DQ. Good stuff!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sabremike said:

BTW if you are watching the GCW Pop Up Video show you know why everyone here calls the commission the New York State Asshole Commission. 

Apparently NYSAC is trending on twitter right now. Just based on people who were watching GCW tweeting about what twats they are.

• Haha 4

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm aware that a lot of crazy (and what would be originally thought as impractical) shit went down during the kakutougi boom, but what is with Takada and the open challenge shit? You would think after that failed in UWFi and UWFi had to then go groveling to New Japan when money got low this idea would never leave the board room. 

Sakakibara may have Takada beat when it comes to losing money when it comes to combat sports in Japan.

16 minutes ago, ka-to said:

Super jacked up Electroshock was beaten pretty quick by 50 pound lighter Hikaru Sato. I've seen most of those fights on Fight Network. Porky did his full dancing ring entrance and the MMA announcers had no idea what was going on or who he was. Solar featured low blows, eye gouging and the corners brawling after the DQ. Good stuff!

Yes. When DEEP created their YouTube account, they uploaded all of these fights featuring luchadors and they created a playlist with them, but it's been deleted.

DEEP still put on pro-wrestling on their events in the future. They had an event at Korakuen Hall that had an MMA fight between DJ.Taiki and Shoji and a pro-wrestling match between Minowaman and Minoru Suzuki. I saw this years ago as it aired on Samurai! TV.

There are so many skilled smaller Japanese grapplers in MMA that I wish would have transitioned to pro-wrestling -- Masakazu Imanari, Satoru Kitaoka, Rumina Sato, Hideo Tokoro, etc.

I know Kazuyuki Miyata made his pro-wrestling debut on a show as I read about it and saw photos of it on BOUT REVIEW, but video of it never made tape that I'm aware of. I know Caol Uno had that one match on one of the 2000 NYE shows, but not much else that I can recall.