DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

35 minutes ago, AxB said:

WWE fired Cain Velasquez. Seems fair, they were paying him a shitload of money and weren't using him.

Is this the most useless "run" anyone has ever had? Dude comes in for a two minute tapout and never seen again. I know he was hurt and all but WOW

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

it's very unclear which is why it's so strange. She tweeted  a post explaining due to a post she made as a white female 10 years ago she is quitting all of her wrestling duties. She says she changed as a person and blah blah blah. I wonder what the tweet was too and who called her out. Surprisingly I didn't see that. 

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Why would anyone send him that? Does he even watch Stardom or know what it is? I see people post a comment like this here on occasion and can't help but wonder if they are trying to pull some reverse psychology shit and get people here to send this stuff to Cornette. 

The move is called the Mana Bauer, and it was more Utami who he was teaching it to. She is the group's power wrestler, and I think has done it once or twice before. She uses the torture rack quite often and occasionally turns it into a powerbomb.

z4n4Er2cUKlD_3jFYX8ODWiI4FE81oG2hOtDjXUC

Surprisingly that is the only gif I can find of it.

Swinging torture rack into a German is fucking awesome. Don’t turn this into “Show Cornette this” because who gives a shit what he thinks looks cool? Also nobody understands the beauty of Nakanishi’s Argentinian backbreaker. He bends them so much that their bodies crumble on his shoulders. Putting them into a German to secure a guaranteed win is the cherry on top. 

Also I got to find that match in the gif. That’s Norton being held back down there. Norton Vs. Nakanishi with all his new fancy moves is a match I want to see.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

it's very unclear which is why it's so strange. She tweeted  a post explaining due to a post she made as a white female 10 years ago she is quitting all of her wrestling duties. She says she changed as a person and blah blah blah. I wonder what the tweet was too and who called her out. Surprisingly I didn't see that. 

I didn't think Twitter has been around for 10 years.

5 minutes ago, Gorman said:

I didn't think Twitter has been around for 10 years.

Apparently it started in 2006.

As for Step Stool Sarah the apology seemed sincere and I'm hoping that she means it.  It'll be interesting to see what happens when wrestling resumes but if this is going to happen might as well be now where you can deal with it privately and not have shows coming up.  I am kind of curious though about who dug these up and if she even deleted them to begin with.  That's not something you want sitting there when people look you up.

20 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Cain shouldn’t give up on wrestling if he still wants to go. I would try the Minoru Suzuki route if I was him. Embrace being a whole new wrestling persona. AEW should pick him up. You can’t really cash in on his celebrity, but you can use his monster look.

In an alternate timeline Cain goes with AEW and is the heavy for Inner Circle instead of Hager.  That would make things far more interesting to me.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Why would anyone send him that? Does he even watch Stardom or know what it is? I see people post a comment like this here on occasion and can't help but wonder if they are trying to pull some reverse psychology shit and get people here to send this stuff to Cornette. 

Cornette's many rants about outlaw mudshow wrestling are almost always caused by someone trying to get that reaction out of him by showing him the latest dumb wrestling "controversy." So yes, someone gets off on sending him these things because they enjoy the ranting. I don't know if anyone like that posts here - the two schools of thought that seem to exist here are "Fuck out-of-touch Cornette for not liking Kenny Omega's matches" and "Cornette is extremely knowledgeable and entertaining when he finally stops ranting."

Getting Cornette to talk shit about you is also fantastic marketing for indie wrestlers - I don't know if WWE ever signs Lio Rush without that stupid ladder no-sell video.

• Thanks 1

Manabu is a retired former champion with severe neck problems. I don’t think he knows who the hell Cornette is, or has any real desire to get noticed by the mainstream. He’s just a trainer asked to do work by his company to put their other operation over.

Do indie wrestlers want to get noticed by him or smarks on the Internet? Because the later seems the more likely candidates. 

wait, Southside Jim, are you Cornette? Jesus, man...

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

So... you just let them out of the torture rack, then german suplex them?

You snap their spines, and break their necks. He would do that and sometimes he’d do the Argentinian backbreaker into a neckbreaker.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

38 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Do indie wrestlers want to get noticed by him or smarks on the Internet? Because the later seems the more likely candidates. 

That's just my point. It's not like Cornette talking shit has derailed anyone's career. If anything it's the opposite. Basically every indie wrestler he has ever ranted about is more popular than they have ever been. Cornette talking shit about you is essentially free promotion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You snap their spines, and break their necks. He would do that and sometimes he’d do the Argentinian backbreaker into a neckbreaker.

Considering the Hercules Cutter was his finisher, he'd do it a lot more than Sometimes.

13 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

In a tweet, she bashed someone who was a ring announcer once for a show three years ago. That apparently prompted friends of said person to dig up the tweets and accuse her of hypocrisy given how connected she is to the “wrestling is for everyone” crowd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Web Conn said:

Did they really pull a Hogan in WCW and really bring Cain in just so Brock could avenge a loss from UFC?

I don't think so. Going back to the start, I think they had bigger plans for Cain, but Cain needing surgery after the match, creative not being very creative, and then not using Cain in the Royal Rumble pretty much killed anything they were going to do with him.

If Cain could cut a promo then I could see him sticking around, but he can't. He's an injury risk and is probably better used in 6 man tags in Mexico or something. Or if anything, if he really wants to learn, I hope he goes somewhere like MLW instead of ROH or AEW.

And as far as draws go, I think Daniel Cormier would be a far better choice to bring in. He's a life long wrestling fan, I could see him learning a worked style, he can talk, but unfortunately he's pretty attached to coaching wrestling, is in his 40s now, and is looking to retire.

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I don't know if anyone like that posts here - the two schools of thought that seem to exist here are "Fuck out-of-touch Cornette for not liking Kenny Omega's matches" and "Cornette is extremely knowledgeable and entertaining when he finally stops ranting."

Why can't both be true: I think his takes on modern wrestling are usually badly out of touch but still think he is brilliant and as knowledgeable about wrestling and it's history as anyone you can name. A weird example of how his ideas of logic in wrestling influenced how I think: at one of the Tournament of Death shows years back they had people setting up all this incredibly dangerous stuff with no gloves or protection whatsoever and even worse the referee had no sort of protection (don't think he was even wearing gloves) I turned to a friend and wondered why they didn't have everyone in protective gear (like you would see in FMW with the referee wearing a hazmat suit) to sell just how dangerous the match was and he replied "You gave this thing way more thought than they did".

Edited by sabremike
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

Is this the most useless "run" anyone has ever had? Dude comes in for a two minute tapout and never seen again. I know he was hurt and all but WOW

Someone should do a Braden-Walker-style best of DVD cover art for Cain Velasquez.

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Why can't both be true: I think his takes on modern wrestling are usually badly out of touch but still think he is brilliant and as knowledgeable about wrestling and it's history as anyone you can name. A weird example of how his ideas of logic in wrestling influenced how I think: at one of the Tournament of Death shows years back they had people setting up all this incredibly dangerous stuff with no gloves or protection whatsoever and even worse the referee had no sort of protection (don't think he was even wearing gloves) I turned to a friend and wondered why they didn't have everyone in protective gear (like you would see in FMW with the referee wearing a hazmat suit) to sell just how dangerous the match was and he replied "You gave this thing way more thought than they did".

His knowledge of the past is appreciated but his opinions on the current are out of touch. Just the way it is. 

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You snap your fingers, you snap your neck.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also I got to find that match in the gif. That’s Norton being held back down there. Norton Vs. Nakanishi with all his new fancy moves is a match I want to see.

Don't think the two fought each other that often. They did have a short IWGP Title match in 98. They were also a team for a brief period in 05. Fought Nakamura and Tanahashi for the tag titles.

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

So... you just let them out of the torture rack, then german suplex them?

When done well its in a fluid motion or their feet never hit the ground like Utami did with AZM.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't think so. Going back to the start, I think they had bigger plans for Cain, but Cain needing surgery after the match, creative not being very creative, and then not using Cain in the Royal Rumble pretty much killed anything they were going to do with him.

If Cain could cut a promo then I could see him sticking around, but he can't. He's an injury risk and is probably better used in 6 man tags in Mexico or something. Or if anything, if he really wants to learn, I hope he goes somewhere like MLW instead of ROH or AEW.

And as far as draws go, I think Daniel Cormier would be a far better choice to bring in. He's a life long wrestling fan, I could see him learning a worked style, he can talk, but unfortunately he's pretty attached to coaching wrestling, is in his 40s now, and is looking to retire.

Cain could've done well in Mexico and Chicano heavy markets, which is hilarious considering one of the bad takes people had when he was in UFC as champ was he couldn't become a great Mexican-American draw because his Spanish wasn't good. Ryan Garcia in boxing and then Cain's little mini run in AAA proves that was a dumbass notion.

I think if Cormier was several years younger and didn't have the bad back he eventually got fixed, Cain and DC could have been a great tag team in pro wrestling cause Cormier can be the talker and would be super motivated. Also, they could have struck a deal to show footage of Cormier ragdolling Josh Barnett and Dan Henderson like he was Vader against some WCW jobber back in the day. That could have worked and been the modern day, more legit Varsity Club (Cain could be in Arizona State colors and DC in Oklahoma State colors). However, Cain didn't really have a shot without Cormier in WWE where they just brought him in so nobody else could get him.

• Like 2