DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Booker T in WCW: A dynamic firey babyface who rose to the top organically, through working hard to prove himself in the ring at any means, and finally got to the top and became a franchise player for the company.

Booker T in WWE: Started out as that WCW guy, but lost many, many times, only getting out of the Invasion purgatory when his character was slowly changed after he bombed on "The Weakest Link" and WWE changed him to...a guy who was really, really dumb. 

I'm not sure, but I think if Booker T got the victory at Wrestlemania 19 with that gimmick, it would...well, be a very, very, very, very, very bad thing. Like, bad enough that you can make the case there Triple H's victory was also a very, very, very bad thing, but it was still somehow the lesser of two evils.

I don't buy the Goldberg excuse as a reason why Booker didn't get a run with the title, either. If he went into a Triple H program shortly after he debuted, I'd buy it, but that didn't start until August basically (he debuted in March). Booker could have won at WrestleMania and held the title until the summer, lose it to Triple H, and then he could drop it to Goldberg at a B level PPV like what happened in reality.

• Like 1

Booker wasn't working a "total dumbass" gimmick at that time. He was when he was part of that tag team with Goldust, basically working a "closed-minded dipshit critic" gimmick, and then that run ended up organically turning him into...a fiery babyface who rose to the top through hard work to prove himself in the ring through any means.

I'm not even arguing that a Booker T WHC run is necessary or anything - as a worker, Booker's a solid upper-card guy who can be a good spot champ (like he was in bridging the Rey Misterio Jr. and Batista WHC title runs back on Smackdown in, geez, that was '07 IIRC). Further, the WHC was already the victim of diluting the power of being World Champ by having two World Champs in the same company, even before midcard lifers like Jack Swagger inexplicably got runs with it. It wouldn't have changed anything about WWE's business to put the gold on him or anything. 

But @SorceressKnight's characterization of Booker during that BookDust run all the way up through the HHH WM 19 match is just straight-up incorrectly framed. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

The Booker T sea change happened less than a week before the feud with Triple H started (the result of the known "Scott Steiner was supposed to be in the Mania match, but he absolutely bombed in his WWE debut to the point WWE knew for a fact they couldn't get to Mania with this feud, and Booker T was the Plan B.") 

Saying that Booker T was instantly the same guy he was in WCW literally one week after Booker T and Goldust had split up would be like saying, if No Way Jose got brought back to WWE, said "I am no longer No Way Jose. I'm Levis Valenzuela, and I'm here to show what I can do as a real wrestler, not some sports entertainer", and got in a feud with Drew McIntyre, that would be perfectly believable and you'd instantly buy him as a threat. The answer in both cases is: No. It takes time to fully kill the clown for a comedy character, and they just didn't have enough time to do it for Booker T (which is why his heel turn took in 2004 and he was a solid uppercarder- they had enough time to kill the clown.)

Edited by SorceressKnight

I like how you keep using irrelevant modern day comparisons. Booker T had a respectable win/loss ratio from 2001-2003, with wins over some of the biggest names in the WWF at the time. Comedy tag team with Goldust or not, comparing him to No Way Jose or R-Truth doesn't make any fucking sense at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just skimming Booker's televised singles matches from 2002 on Cagematch, and I'm looking at gimmick match victories over Big Show, wins over guys like Edge and Eddie Guerrero, and him ending the year going toe-to-toe against Chris Jericho in matches connected to the tag title scene. So yeah, basically the Santino to Dustin's Koslov. 

20 minutes ago, Infinit said:

What did she tweet?

it's very unclear which is why it's so strange. She tweeted  a post explaining due to a post she made as a white female 10 years ago she is quitting all of her wrestling duties. She says she changed as a person and blah blah blah. I wonder what the tweet was too and who called her out. Surprisingly I didn't see that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Is Jinder Mahal still with the company? I haven't seen him mentioned in a dog's age.

Not that I'm complaining.

I'm holding you directly responsible

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

PLEASE, nobody send Cornette the video of yesterday's "training session" where Manabu Nakanishi taught some of the STARDOM girls how to do a toture rack into a German suplex.

The Cornette podcasts are one of the things keeping me going through these dull days and I really don't want to listen to him complaining about the STARDOM girls doing "stupid, outlaw shit like a torture rack into a fucking German suplex!!!"

1 hour ago, Southside Jim said:

PLEASE, nobody send Cornette the video of yesterday's "training session" where Manabu Nakanishi taught some of the STARDOM girls how to do a toture rack into a German suplex.

The Cornette podcasts are one of the things keeping me going through these dull days and I really don't want to listen to him complaining about the STARDOM girls doing "stupid, outlaw shit like a torture rack into a fucking German suplex!!!"

Could someone send me in the direction of that video? Just because I'm curious how that would even work?

1 hour ago, Southside Jim said:

Why would anyone send him that? Does he even watch Stardom or know what it is? I see people post a comment like this here on occasion and can't help but wonder if they are trying to pull some reverse psychology shit and get people here to send this stuff to Cornette. 

The move is called the Mana Bauer, and it was more Utami who he was teaching it to. She is the group's power wrestler, and I think has done it once or twice before. She uses the torture rack quite often and occasionally turns it into a powerbomb.

41 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

Could someone send me in the direction of that video? Just because I'm curious how that would even work?

z4n4Er2cUKlD_3jFYX8ODWiI4FE81oG2hOtDjXUC

Surprisingly that is the only gif I can find of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1