DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

26 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Anything after the Miami Taker match is trash for HHH. I have not enjoyed anything from him since. The Taker match while over done, fit that PPV better. But now every Mania old timer match after that seems like it’s going for something like it.

Oh, I don't enjoy his matches outside of the Daniel Bryan match at WM30. I just like the ridiculous, self-masturbatory entrances.

• Like 1

Triple H has always been legit dull as ditchwater to me. 

I was never one for the whole 2003 Smark Triple H is holding down Shelton/RVD/Booker/whoever glass ceiling malarkey; I'm speaking purely as an on screen talent and, as an on screen talent, I always found him boring as fuck. Probably didn't help that I detested D-X even as a 13 year old back in 1998 when you would think 13 year olds would be into that shit. I recently re-watched a lot of the 1998 Raws, most of it was absolute shite but the Austin/Vince stuff still holds up and I still love the shit out of Austin but D-X were insufferable.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 1

I was a fan of his up until the Evolution stuff basically killed my interest in WWE. My one pet peeve: I never paid much mind to his advantages after marrying into the family, but the idea that he never pissed hot is just absurd. He had a lot of nerve making fun of Masters that time he got popped and came back leaner; every time Hunter cycled off to have a baby with Steph he turned into Greg Valentine overnight. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Seriously you look at a lot of the pre-injury stuff, and wonder why you thought this guy was on Austin, Rock, and Foley’s level, when he really wasn’t. Those guys just carried his ass. Also credit to Angle for doing the same before Hunter railroaded the love triangle. 

Angle was a guy who the site hated because he got the same over praise Omega gets today. But he truly did deserve some of it. The guy was a natural in that WWF/E system, and if the WCW system prior to 98 stayed intact, he would’ve prospered there as well.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Seriously you look at a lot of the pre-injury stuff, and wonder why you thought this guy was on Austin, Rock, and Foley’s level, when he really wasn’t. Those guys just carried his ass. Also credit to Angle for doing the same before Hunter railroaded the love triangle.

They really struggled establishing him as a credible main eventer between DX and the McMahon-Helmsley Regime. If Foley and Austin stay healthy and Rock doesn’t become a movie star he’d have been screwed. 

Aw man, a lot of that shite Evolution run was pretty much the nadir for me at points. I mean, I like Big Dave and Ric Flair is my all time favourite wrestler but that boring as fuck Triple H cosplaying as a Flair/Race hybrid run was fucking tedious.

And, again, it's not a case of me somehow having to justify myself for slagging him off, the whole Triple H is holding everyone down talking point died out 15 years ago, I just never ever found him at all interesting as an on screen talent.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Warhorse did point out how Vince's last Happy Birthday Shane tweet was just "Happy Birthday Shane McMahon" whereas here he's kissing Trip's arse and it's not even his Birthday.

So I looked into this, and it's not quite accurate. That Shane birthday tweet wasn't the last one, it was the one from 2018:

Spoiler

Here's 2019:

Spoiler

2020:

Spoiler

There was no birthday tweet. 

And it's not like the person who manages his twitter just stopped doing birthday messages. One went out to Batista three days later. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don't know about that- in defense, I think that HHH's main event run may have been about 10 years too early or 10 years too late to really click. HHH was a genuinely good power wrestler even in that time.

Put 2000 HHH in 1990, when power wrestling was the style for WWF, and he's Hulk Hogan's biggest rival.  Put 2000 HHH in 2010, when boards like this turned back towards power wrestling, and people think of HHH as well as Mark Henry or Chris Masters or any of the other power guys DVDVR was in love with around that time period. 

Put him in 2000, though, when everyone believed that only hardcore wrestlers could be good brawlers? It was the worst possible time for HHH to be a big deal.

• Like 1

My favorite individual Hunter performance is probably his match with Shawn on Raw for the title in late 2003. It’s the opposite of all their epic shit, and it has to be the closest Hunter got to perfecting the traveling champion schtick he was going for at the time (it even ends with a Dusty Finish.) One of Shawn’s best post-comeback too. If you’ve never seen it because you were turned off by their long ass gimmick matches it’s worth your time. 

• Like 2

i'm just here to lament that we never got to see Owen Hart vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage. 

they faced off once in a tag team match (Savage/Bret Hart vs Owen/Adam Bomb) in Japan, and possibly crossed paths in some battle royals, but that's it. damn shame.

• Like 3

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Triple H has always been legit dull as ditchwater to me. 

This.

Dude is in my top 3 folks I'd gladly never watch wrestle again along with Shane McMahon and Tommy Dreamer.

24 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

I don't know about that- in defense, I think that HHH's main event run may have been about 10 years too early or 10 years too late to really click. HHH was a genuinely good power wrestler even in that time.

Put 2000 HHH in 1990, when power wrestling was the style for WWF, and he's Hulk Hogan's biggest rival.  Put 2000 HHH in 2010, when boards like this turned back towards power wrestling, and people think of HHH as well as Mark Henry or Chris Masters or any of the other power guys DVDVR was in love with around that time period. 

Put him in 2000, though, when everyone believed that only hardcore wrestlers could be good brawlers? It was the worst possible time for HHH to be a big deal.

Going to have to disagree on that one. H is a terrible Power wrestler. Name one strength spot he does well. In fact, name one strength spot he does.

Punch. Kick. Low High Knee. Clothesline. Underhook facebreaker. Spinebuster. Figure Four. Indian Deathlock. Low Blow. Pedigree. None of that requires physical strength. It's not like he's Warrior going out there and press slamming guys.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i'm just here to lament that we never got to see Owen Hart vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage. 

they faced off once in a tag team match (Savage/Bret Hart vs Owen/Adam Bomb) in Japan, and possibly crossed paths in some battle royals, but that's it. damn shame.

I'm surprised they never had a match on Superstars or Wrestling Challenge after Savage's heel turn and Owen was working as the Blue Blazer.

I have always felt HHH's biggest flaw isn't not understanding his own limitations, it's not understanding the limitations of his opponent (Scott Steiner and Goldberg instantly spring to mind).

• Like 4

It might be fake.

So anyway, this week's NXT UK was reliving a Walter vs Tyler Bate match from Takeover Cardiff. It seemed like it might be a good match, but they talked about how it went like 40+ minutes, only showed 20-ish minutes of it, chopped it up with commercial breaks (and... brand awareness breaks? Where they just advertise the show you're already watching? Yeah, those) and kept interrupting to have talking head segments with the NXT UK roster talking us through it. So I dunno how good it actually was. Seemed alright. Walter totally Nia Jax'd Bate on a ringpost powerbomb from the floor. Dropped him short so rather than going straight-backed into the post, he was bent-backed into the floor while the back of his head cracked the metal. Looked gnarly. But obviously YNBITR* so it was probably just fine.

Also, I know it's sacriligious for a UK Wrestling fan, but I don't like Tyler Bate. I don't dislike him as much as I dislike his two mates, but all three of them just rub me the wrong way. I think it's partly the names. First Moustache Mountain makes no sense when a) they both have full beards, not moustaches and b) everyone else on the roster also has facial hair so it's not actually your Unique Selling Point, is it? That's like your gimmick being that you've got two arms and a head. Secondly, British Strong Style... they don't actually do Strong Style, do they? Not really seeing any Inokiism from Tyler or Not The Way, and certainly not from Billy Two Rivers. They should have called themselves British Sports Entertainment.

*You've Never Been In The Ring.

Edited by AxB