DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Six String Orchestra said:

They really screwed up by not doing anything with it. Their best shows that year were When 2 Worlds Collide and Best of the Best. I recall a rumor Zandig was unhappy with the angle for whatever reason. 

The story I heard involves him not being told of what was coming, and the subsequent conversation about the angle between he and whomever it was that was booking CZW at the time degenerated into a physical altercation.

1 hour ago, Six String Orchestra said:

They really screwed up by not doing anything with it. Their best shows that year were When 2 Worlds Collide and Best of the Best. I recall a rumor Zandig was unhappy with the angle for whatever reason. 

The thing I remember and maybe I am wrong but it really began with the Best of the Best that year where at least 3 of Generation Next was in it and Daniels.  The ROH guys except Daniels wanted them to work like heels in their matches and Zandig wanted them to work like it was just an indie show.  That was the beginning of the end on the CZW side.  

Also think that this Best of the Best they were the day part of a doubleheader with ROH show.  As usual with most Zandig shows it ran horribly long and a decent number of people left before the actual finals

Did a Zoom sync-watch with some friends of El Hijo del Santo/Gran Hamada/Yoshihiro Asai vs. Fuerza Guerrera/Blue Panther/Negro Casas from early '90 WWA. Supreme technical showcase from all involved, like the crispiest of crisp mat and chain wrestling. Absolutely loved it even if it didn't have much else going on in terms of passion or interesting storytelling. The rudos were even pretty tame in rule breaking. But when you get to watch these guys in their peaks work, it's a pleasure.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 4

Guest Edwin
19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wish CZW had done more with the feud on their end outside of the Arena Warfare show.

I agree. Zandig dropped the ball on this and he didn't take advantage of it and it just turned into an ROH angle solely which Gabe a perfect job of booking.

Someone mentioned on Twitter Zandig didn't care about the angle and he wanted to keep doing his own thing which is what he did.

Quoting the WON Story

A week after news broke that WWE was going to return to live taping after abandoning a plan to do multiple tapings per day, the company has changed course again and will resume a multi-day taping schedule that will cover them through July 10th.

The change was made in order to keep people traveling less while allowing the company to keep producing original shows for their partners. Last week, Florida cleared the way for WWE to resume shows at the Performance Center by deeming pro sports and WWE as essential businesses.

The following is a schedule first reported by Pro Wrestling Sheet and confirmed by WWE:

• Tonight's and next week's SmackDown, this Monday's Raw, and this Wednesday's NXT will all be live as previously planned

April tapings

• Saturday, April 25; May 1st and May 8th SmackDown will be taped
  • Monday, April 27; That night's Raw and the May 4th Raw will be taped
  • Wednesday, April 29; That night's NXT and the May 6th NXT will be taped

May tapings

• Monday, May 11; That night's Raw and the May 15th SmackDown will be taped
  • Tuesday, May 12; The May 18th Raw and the May 22nd SmackDown will be taped
  • Wednesday, May 13; That night's NXT and the May 20th NXT will be taped
  • Monday, May 25; That night's Raw and the June 1st Raw will be taped
  • Tuesday, May 26; The May 29th and June 5th SmackDown will be taped
  • Wednesday, May 27; That night's NXT and the June 3rd NXT will be taped

June/July tapings

• Monday, June 8; That night's Raw and the June 12th SmackDown will be taped
  • Tuesday, June 9; The June 10th NXT will be taped
  • Monday, June 15; That night's Raw and the June 19th SmackDown will be taped
  • Tuesday, June 16; The June 22nd Raw and the June 26th SmackDown will be taped
  • Wednesday, June 17; That night's NXT and the June 24th NXT will be taped
  • Monday, June 29; That night's Raw and the July 6th Raw will be taped
  • Tuesday, June 30; The July 3rd and July 10th SmackDown will be taped
  • Wednesday, July 1; That night's NXT and the July 8th NXT will be taped

In confirming the change, WWE also released the following statement:

“We believe it is now more important than ever to provide people with a diversion from these hard times. We are producing content on a closed set with only essential personnel in attendance following appropriate guidelines while taking additional precautions to ensure the health and wellness of our performers and staff. As a brand that has been woven into the fabric of society, WWE and its Superstars bring families together and deliver a sense of hope, determination and perseverance.”

PWS also reported that WWE is taking precautions like face masks, medical screenings, essential personnel only, deep cleaning and social distancing in order to better adhere to health and safety standards.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

And while his in-ring peak was '89 probably, going back and watching those white hot '96-'97 Nitros a while back, he fucking ruled. He wasn't as cool as the nWo or Stang, but his going house of fire on the nWo and teaming with The Giant was stupendous. The title win is iconic despite the aftermath and his run at the end of World War 3 when it was him vs. almost the entire nWo is one of my favourite non-Sting WCW memories of that period. The promos after his falling out with the Horsemen were incredible too. Love Flexy Lexy. 

WCW somehow got The Torture Rack over as a flash submission. Think about that. Luger would get a guy up and they'd usually give up in like 3-5 seconds and people bought it.

• Like 1

I haven’t seen it myself, but apparently the new Observer notes that Vince has forbidden anyone to mention Roman Reign’s name on tv.

Lol, Vince is unbelievably petty.  I assume that, if Roman does eventually return, Vince will treat him like a jobber for abandoning the company.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

Notes from the 4/10 TV tapings in Orlando. The show opened with Strowman out. He said that when opportunity knocks, you open the door. Right now the instructions on television are to not ever mention Reigns. 

From the issue.

• Like 1

So here's a completely unrelated question: I've been putting together like Wrasslin Mixtapes for friends, one per two weeks, and I've been working with themes. I have a good theme now but I'm trying to see if there's people I'm missing.

The theme is Folklore Characters, which is to say wrestlers that have more of a specific mystique and niche in wrestling history outside of the norm. The names I came up with are:

Cassandro
Ox Baker
Necro Butcher
Survival Tobita
Gypsy Joe
Mike Quackenbush*
Great Sasuke
Mecha Mummy
Bull Curry
Tom Magee

Anyone else come to mind?

*to explain my reasoning: quack's weird quasi-self-taught parallel universe WOS/lucha is, i think, kind of the apex of what someone can achieve with raw wrestling nerddom and tape study, highlighted by him being able to parlay that into actually great matches with legends in those styles

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

His loud yelling each time he eats a punch kills me, and I love it.

If we were doing some sort of all-underrated poll of wrestlers that we feel were underrated relative to their general standing, Luger would have to be top-five for me. About the only period of his career where I found him kinda boring was the Lex Express gimmick and the immediate endlessly-feuding-with-Tatanka,  teaming-with-Bulldog period after that until he left for WCW. 

I’m not going to lie. As a kid, I bit hard on the Luger-Tatanka swerve turn.

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Random: I just watched Battlebowl at Starrcade '91, and the best spot in the match is this baby looking the other way, totally bored, as Luger and Sting fight over a head smash into the guardrail. Then, after Sting reverses, he clashes Luger into the guardrail and the baby's face is like, "What the fuck, what is even going on over here?" 

Also, Luger's goofy facial expressions while selling are underrated in general. 

Dude, that baby had to sit through the rest of that show. Very few matches have brought a screeching halt to a PPV like Jushin Liger and Bill Kazmaier vs. first WCW run DDP and Mike Graham who looked (and performed) like he just stepped out of a time machine from ten years earlier. It's incredible. It doesn't help that for whatever reason (I've heard Dusty told Mike to do it) that Graham doesn't cooperate with Liger anytime they're in the ring together. So the dynamic you have is the best worker getting super frustrated, so BILL KAZMAIER has to work serious minutes in a thrown together wrestling match. Graham is kinda scared of Kazmaier so he in turns tags in a DDP who is a few years away from being even halfway decent. What you get is a bubbling cauldron of shitty wrestling for minutes on end. It keeps going and going and going. 

After that match mercifully ends, you still got about an hour and a half left to go of tag team wrestling with no meaning and very little purpose. So the end result is Sting and Luger, who are suppose to be in something super heated, being already exhausted and trying to get crowd reactions from an apathetic crowd that tuned out mentally an hour plus before. 

On 4/13/2020 at 9:26 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'd heard that he was considering winding it down after this contract, but I don't think I've heard what the Certain people are saying. Do tell. 

Joe Lanza on the Voices of Wrestling podcast Flaship show insist that Bryan is unhappy with his run and he only resigned because of Brie and considers WWE a Parody of Wrestling