DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

17 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I’m pretty staunchly a no shows right now guy but if we’re doing this Florida thing someone should run a show at an empty Club La Vela

FUCKING GENIUS. 

Your most excellent suggestion got lost in release talk, but I am fully onboard with this.

Empty arenas are really harshing my vibe on pro wres, it just feels like a very alien concept to be trying to enjoy this thing that has brought me so much joy while we are in a time that is so uncertain.

Empty arena La Vela shows would at least let me reminisce about the good old days.

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's obviously not great that Disney also furloughed a bunch of employees, but it doesn't mean Vince is any less scummy for the $10s of millions of dollars he pissed away on the XFL, the nearly $20 million they just greased DeSantis' palms with, and so on. It's pretty fucking bad all around, but we're also talking about wrestling in here.

Do we even know if WWE contributed to that SuperPAC? 

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Do we even know if WWE contributed to that SuperPAC? 

Nope. As far as I know, Super PAC donations do not have to be disclosed.

But that's also not what people are claiming when they half jokingly refer to it as a bribe. It's a Super PAC ran by the former CEO of WWE, who happens to be married to the current CEO/chairman/majority share holder, and the mother of one of the top executives, and mother-in-law of another top executive.

Well, LA's mayor just said it'd be "very difficult" to see concerts/large gatherings happening before 2021. 

Pair that with an expert saying it might be closer to '22...  I'd say WrestleMania 37 is in trouble. 

Backtracking to the Roman talk for a bit, just imagine a generation of fans is going to grow up seeing Cena or Roman as the GOATS and their voice of wrestling won't be Solie or Ross but Michael Cole.

They'll hold these guys in the highest regards, which I'm not saying is a bad thing or a terrible thing. Im just talking to my nephew about releases and who's been let go so far and he's mentioned how his two personalities he wants to survive the cuts are Roman and Cole. He's 13, so I can't make any flippant remarks about his tastes since I was a Hulkamaniac at 11 and fully behind Diesel when he beat Backlund. Just found it interesting of all the roster they're his personal faves, and wondered what future generations might look on from today's wrestlers as the GOATS of their time?

8 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Backtracking to the Roman talk for a bit, just imagine a generation of fans is going to grow up seeing Cena or Roman as the GOATS and their voice of wrestling won't be Solie or Ross but Michael Cole.

They'll hold these guys in the highest regards, which I'm not saying is a bad thing or a terrible thing. Im just talking to my nephew about releases and who's been let go so far and he's mentioned how his two personalities he wants to survive the cuts are Roman and Cole. He's 13, so I can't make any flippant remarks about his tastes since I was a Hulkamaniac at 11 and fully behind Diesel when he beat Backlund. Just found it interesting of all the roster they're his personal faves, and wondered what future generations might look on from today's wrestlers as the GOATS of their time?

I would think Daniel Bryan for sure. The Four Horsewomen. If the kid is of the right age he may have caught Braun Fever when he was turning over ambulances. Do kids like Brock?

• Thanks 1

The more interesting question to me for this new generation of child fans is less "which wrestlers do they idolize as the GOATs" (every generation will revere their main eventers), but rather, given how poorly WWE handles midcard/lowercard storylines,  "What wrestlers will be part of this generation of children's Boy Stable ?"  Even past the thought that I always believe "your Boy Stable would be closer than you think to who your favorite wrestlers would be", but it's more interesting with such a weak midcard/lowercard which out-there choices the kids of this generation would gravitate to without being told. 

My 12 year old makes fun of the commentary so I don't think he cares much about who calls the matches. He thinks they're all idiots and annoying. 

I'd say two of my son's Rushmore guys would probably be Daniel Bryan and Jon Moxley. I dunno after that. He's not as big on Roman as I am, but he's not anti Roman. Hates Brock Lesnar because his matches stink. God Seth Rollins might be his #3. 

I may need to talk to my son more about this. I'm concerned.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Okay I just asked him who his Top 4 are. They are

Jon Moxley

Daniel Bryan

Chris Jericho

Edge

I said "EDGE?!" I said how is that?

He said he's watched a ton of Edge on the Network. Makes sense because my son loves looking up gimmick matches and Edge would probably be in every one of them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, LA's mayor just said it'd be "very difficult" to see concerts/large gatherings happening before 2021. 

Pair that with an expert saying it might be closer to '22...  I'd say WrestleMania 37 is in trouble. 

Another big concern is if construction on SoFi Stadium gets halted. Right now, it's still underway. However, with two workers already having contracted COVID-19 and Gavin Newsom's grim forecast on mass gatherings, why would they need to rush construction? They could stop at any point. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The more interesting question to me for this new generation of child fans is less "which wrestlers do they idolize as the GOATs" (every generation will revere their main eventers), but rather, given how poorly WWE handles midcard/lowercard storylines,  "What wrestlers will be part of this generation of children's Boy Stable ?"  Even past the thought that I always believe "your Boy Stable would be closer than you think to who your favorite wrestlers would be", but it's more interesting with such a weak midcard/lowercard which out-there choices the kids of this generation would gravitate to without being told. 

I'm sorry, but what is a "Boy Stable"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm sorry, but what is a "Boy Stable"?

It comes from the OSW Review podcast, a Boy Stable are your favorite boys: wrestlers who were essentially glorified jobbers or midcarders for life. There are a bunch of criteria for being a "boy" but generally you have to have a shitty gimmick and have never won a major world title. 

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I would think Daniel Bryan for sure. The Four Horsewomen. If the kid is of the right age he may have caught Braun Fever when he was turning over ambulances. Do kids like Brock?

My 10 year old thinks Brock is boring as shit, but enjoys him tossing fools around. I'll ask him who his top 4 or 5 are when I go home for lunch. He is pretty wild for this team of Gulak and Bryan, but I think that's me rubbing off on him.

Braun Strowman, vehicle tosser was a pretty big deal for him also. I told him that Braun won the title at Mania and he seemed unimpressed, so maybe his Braun love is gone.

I'm pretty sure his A+ number 1 right now is Britt Baker. He thinks her being an asshole to people is super funny. If we go by merch he owns, his favorites are Owens, Asuka, and Roode, but I think all of those purchases are from like a year or so ago now. The last wrestling shirt he wanted was the Death Triangle shirt. His Bayley action figure was running roughshod over a whole crew of dudes the other day, she even beat up a Transformer. So she's likely still pretty high up on his list.

Action figure Apollo Crews does well also, so he's likely still a favorite.

Edited by grilledcheese

Guest Edwin

Finn should watch some 90's Keiji Muto and Great Muta New Japan matches. Muto works entirely different when he morphs into Muta. He's a more vicious brawler whereas as Muto he's more of a straight technical wrestler. Finn should try a similar approach when he morphs into the demon instead of wrestling like he usually does and all he realistically does different is a goofy entrance.

2 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Finn should watch some 90's Keiji Muto and Great Muta New Japan matches. Muto works entirely different when he morphs into Muta. He's a more vicious brawler whereas as Muto he's more of a straight technical wrestler. Finn should try a similar approach when he morphs into the demon instead of wrestling like he usually does and all he realistically does different is a goofy entrance.

I think he started to change things up a bit the last time he wore the paint. To be fair the Demon was never supposed to be a separate gimmick. Its was just an extra neat look for Finn's bigger matches. WWE/NXT just happened to see it as an extra gimmick/merch opportunity. 

Guest Edwin
3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I think he started to change things up a bit the last time he wore the paint. To be fair the Demon was never supposed to be a separate gimmick. Its was just an extra neat look for Finn's bigger matches. WWE/NXT just happened to see it as an extra gimmick/merch opportunity. 

They always push Finn as a more violent persona, yet it's him with facepainting and still hitting endless sling blades and John woo dropkicks which is basically him in every other match.