DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

4 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

You've oversimplifying a complex problem.  The world needs an economy and a medical solution.  Falling into another Great Depression will probably kill a lot more people than the virus.

The problem is, that it's already oversimplified: We're through the looking glass for both. There's no way to stop the Great Depression from happening- it's hopeless, utterly hopeless. Too many mistakes were made before this point, and now a Great Depression from COVID is as inevitable as the sun rising tomorrow. 

At least if the medical solution takes priority- even if there's a Great Depression, you're still standing, walk forward. Find some odd jobs. Take a less exciting job still available. Learn a trade. Get hard enough to commit crimes if you have to, at least jail has a warm bed and three meals a day. By focusing on the economy before the medical solution, you're not fixing the economy- you're getting to the unsavory answer of "if we elected a businessman who promised to lead the country like a business...what's he going to do when the answer is making layoffs?"

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The problem is, that it's already oversimplified: We're through the looking glass for both. There's no way to stop the Great Depression from happening- it's hopeless, utterly hopeless. Too many mistakes were made before this point, and now a Great Depression from COVID is as inevitable as the sun rising tomorrow. 

At least if the medical solution takes priority- even if there's a Great Depression, you're still standing, walk forward. Find some odd jobs. Take a less exciting job still available. Learn a trade. Get hard enough to commit crimes if you have to, at least jail has a warm bed and three meals a day. By focusing on the economy before the medical solution, you're not fixing the economy- you're getting to the unsavory answer of "if we elected a businessman who promised to lead the country like a business...what's he going to do when the answer is making layoffs?"

The answer is "blame somebody else."  Current target is the World Health Organization.  It'll be someone else's fault tomorrow.

Any solution that's not "flatten the curve and do whatever we can to solve the health piece of this first" is just a dressed up version of "some people might have to die to keep the economy going."  And to appeal to the narcissists in power who only consider their image, how about this: if we "jump start the economy" sooner, and there's a second outbreak because the first never ended, they'll look even worse.  But yes, by all means, let's hold a WWE arena show in May and see how it goes.  It's not like Japan held a handful of shows and people got sick, right?

How about we take all the people itching sacrifice others to open things up again, and let THEM go do the work while the rest of us stay home and get healthy?  Darwin, do your thing!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Falling into another Great Depression will probably kill a lot more people than the virus.

I would love to see fewer people pull this talking point directly out of their ass.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Scott Norton was a wonderful body of a man. The smack of flesh when he shoulder blocks an opponent is the most satisfying sound in wrestling. Nothing comes close to it.

The man could wolf down a stack of flapjacks too.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Until there is a cure that is available to everyone we cannot begin to resume even semi normal activities.

Maybe. The infectious disease experts working with the government (Fauci and Birx) say they think it's realistic that Americans will be able to go on summer vacation and school in the fall.  The ,model most experts using predicts the death toll could fall to zero by late June.  Governors are already meeting about how soon they can reopen the economy. Sports leagues will try to come back in some capacity.  Things won't be completely normal - and may not even be vaguely normal - but there will be probably more normalacy than people expect.  The likeliest scenario seems to be intermittent rolling lockdowns when hotspots emerge.  It all depends on how well the government gets it's act together to do mass testing and contact tracing (so we're probably screwed).

Also, a cure's not a given.  Lots of diseases we have never managed to cure.  Though, in that case, herd immunity hopefully becomes in thing in a couple of years.  

I'm at least mildly hopeful, if only for my own sanity.  I don't really see any quality of life with social distancing, so if extreme social distancing is the new norm, I'm don't expect to last long.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

The infectious disease experts working with the government (Fauci and Birx) say they think it's realistic that Americans will be able to go on summer vacation and school in the fall.

Do you really think those people are pushing for that? It’s pretty obvious who wants to pretend there isn’t an issue. You know the people that called it a hoax two months ago, and wanted to re-open everything for Easter. Sure eventually those doctors will come around because of who writes their checks. But, c’mon...

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

Since this is a virus we're dealing with it's very unlikely there will be a cure for it but a vaccine will happen but we're probably a year from that being available to the public. Coming from a public health background I think we're going to start to see lockdowns eased by the end of summer. There are going to have to be systemic changes to our ways of life which is going to be the difficult thing but I think we'll see restaurants open back up to the public by end of summer, but with drastically less seating and  changes in how people wait. And non-essential stores will start opening with capacity limits. Large scale sporting events with public audiences probably aren't coming back til I'd guess MLB opening day 2021 at the earliest, though Vince will probably try to get Mania to be the first one back.

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Do you really think those people are pushing for that? It’s pretty obvious who wants to pretend there isn’t an issue. You know the people that called it a hoax two months ago, and wanted to re-open everything for Easter. Sure eventually they’ll come around because of who writes their checks. But, c’mon...

I kinda doubt Dr. Fauci is just saying that, but you'd have to ask him.   He's one of the leading infectious disease experts in the world and has advised several administrations on infectious diseases in the past.  All I know is what various experts and models are saying.  We'll see in a few months.  I guess you are an infectious disease expert?

1 minute ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I kinda doubt Dr. Fauci is just saying that, but you'd have to ask him.   He's one of the leading infectious disease experts in the world and has advised several administrations on infectious diseases in the past.  All I know is what various experts and models are saying.  We'll see in a few months.  I guess you are an infectious disease expert?

You aren't either nor is anyone else on the board.

We all read and listen to the same things and then hear what we want to hear

And then we come here because it is the last thing we want to be thinking about

All of you please stop wildly speculating

Last and only warning

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Apparently Bob Arum is looking at the possibility of doing live Boxing shows from the WWE Performance Centre.

The other big controversy in quarantine sports is Hafthor Bjornson is trying to break Eddie Hall's 500kg deadlift record from his own gym, streamed online and everyone in Strongman is debating whether records can only be set in formal competition or not.

8 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I'm going to have to revisit this entire feud. So many great matches.

What a feud, ROH vs. CZW in 2006. ROH vs. CZW at the 100th ROH show and especially the Cage of Death at Death Before Dishonor IV. My 2006 MOTY and gets my vote as the best match in ROH history.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Still remembering being on the CZWfans board the night CZW returned fire and invaded ROH there were rumours of Super Dragon giving an audience member “a shoot monkey flip”. That term is branded into my very soul.

I remember hearing that the reason Danielson didn't defend against Super Dragon was because SD "beat up" a fan during the 100th show six man. 

• Like 2