DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

I don't want to turn this into a "people are allowed to like different styles of wrestling" argument, but honest question:

How many of the fans who boo Roman are workrate fanatics who boo Roman becuase he doesn't have the move set of Okada, Omega, Sanada, Moxley, Young Bucks, etc.?

His two big moves are the super simplistic jumping punch to the face and a jumping shoulderblock to the chest.

Would people cheer him more if he started doing Buckshot Lariats, Stormbreakers, etc?

I think you could convert a few people who are about moves. But that movement probably isn’t enough to justify it. A lot of Roman’s usefulness comes from the company man and product of the system stink he has on him. That makes for good conflicts with talents who don’t have that reputation. I don’t want “workrate fanatics” to like Roman more — I want the opposite, because it makes for more interesting crowd reactions and matches. 

• Like 2

But that is less something he has earned and more something that has resulted from the dogshit booking. Like, his most memorable promo had him saying how many words? 3? I would gather I'm not the only one that finds him pretty boring. If wrestling were based purely on looks and being good not great in the ring, he'd be a superstar, but it's not just that.

16 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

But that is less something he has earned and more something that has resulted from the dogshit booking. Like, his most memorable promo had him saying how many words? 3? I would gather I'm not the only one that finds him pretty boring. If wrestling were based purely on looks and being good not great in the ring, he'd be a superstar, but it's not just that.

Look at Drew, I haven’t seen anything of his current championship run, but I do remember him having a great promo when he was called back up. I don’t remember Roman cutting a promo as good as that.

But then Bret couldn’t cut a traditional promo either. What Bret had though was a real chip on his shoulder, and when his spot felt like it was in danger, parts of the real Bret appeared. That candidness gave him more dept, that a lot of those early world title feuds didn’t give him. Maybe Roman needs something like that, but I don’t think Roman is as hungry to protect his spot as Bret was.

Maybe we shouldn’t look at Roman as “The draw”. Because quite frankly nobody really is, especially with the way the company books it’s talent. Instead he’s a piece to the puzzle. They’ve compared him to The Undertaker. I guess maybe him being the cornerstone of the locker room is a more accurate assessment. Taker was also a leader, who wasn’t worried about getting the top spot, but he sure was going to get a marquee match. Maybe that’ll be his future. Especially now with health concerns he could be in a part-time. Which if we look at recent history of the company, is where you want to be.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Look at Drew, I haven’t seen anything of his current championship run, but I do remember him having a great promo when he was called back up. I don’t remember Roman cutting a promo as good as that.

But then Bret couldn’t cut a traditional promo either. What Bret had though was a real chip on his shoulder, and when his spot felt like it was in danger, parts of the real Bret appeared. That candidness gave him more dept, that a lot of those early world title feuds didn’t give him. Maybe Roman needs something like that, but I don’t think Roman is as hungry to protect his spot as Bret was.

Watch Roman in interviews outside the ring, then watch his interviews in the ring. He's among the biggest victims of the horrific writing that they think is great because of Cena not understanding that Cena could read a phone book and make it entertaining.

• Like 3

Cena’s another guy who would always defend his spot through promos. Sure he’d do the job to guys in the summer, but he’d always undercut them in the promos leading up to it, then eventually let them hang themselves with the poor creative, and sneak back in to his spot.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Roman was very over -- and organically over -- in The Shield. He was getting great reactions non-stop -- the Rumble where he set the record for most eliminations, Survivor Series that year, the last part of the Shield/Wyatts classic at Elimination Chamber where he nearly saved the day for The Shield, and number of Raws where he did the OOOAHHHH thing and got a huge reaction. He owned the audience.

Why the hell wouldn't you want to push that guy to oblivion? A really good looking guy with natural charisma who is also a pretty great worker? 

I believe the timeline went "Vince is going to push Roman to the moon BOOOOOOOOO" before the push even began in earnest and/or when he got hurt. I will forever think the backlash against Roman's push was just because WWE fans can be pretty friggin' idiotic and hypocritcal. Was the writing always good for Roman? Of course not. Is he a world class promo guy? Nope. (Although he's almost on par with Henry as a heel in-ring shit-talker.) But the guy got over and was being pushed exactly because of the reactions he was getting and then all of a sudden the loudest fans in the arena decided they hated him because he was about to get a huge push. And Roman's huge push was going to come at the expense of Daniel Bryan... who got arguably the biggest push of all-time, which was designed because of the reactions he was getting.

Also, writing this just seconds after I came to the defense of Roman Reigns... 

But I think today's wheeling and dealing calling the WWE an "essential business" in Florida is it for me and watching WWE. I will avoid all of the talk of the political machinations as I believe that is the rule of the board. But the fact that wrestlers are considered essential employees but are independent contractors and get no health insurance AND someone already had the virus is just absolutely repugnant to me, on top of the sleaze politics behind it all.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I hope you mean in the former and not the later

Meltzer was quite specific in saying that this meant it was open season for the WWE, AEW and UFC (though UFC has the slight harder because of being asked to stop running events by ESPN)

FWIW Meltzer also said the Florida commission will approve the UFC if they ran in Florida as long they did it with no fans.

10 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Also, writing this just seconds after I came to the defense of Roman Reigns... 

But I think today's wheeling and dealing calling the WWE an "essential business" in Florida is it for me and watching WWE. I will avoid all of the talk of the political machinations as I believe that is the rule of the board. But the fact that wrestlers are considered essential employees but are independent contractors and get no health insurance AND someone already had the virus is just absolutely repugnant to me, on top of the sleaze politics behind it all.

Also, I didn’t see it, but apparently Trump announced that all the sports commissioners, and McMahon will be part of an advisory committee to “Reopen the economy”. Fuck all the capitalist without any fucking morals. “Drain the fucking the swamp”, and we got fucking Linda McMahon bribing the governors office of Florida. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also, I didn’t see it, but apparently Trump announced that all the sports commissioners, and McMahon will be part of an advisory committee to “Reopen the economy”. 

Commissioners AND Robert Kraft and Jerry Jones of course

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

UFC Bash at the Beach!

(as long as you forget that the WCW Bash held at an actual beach was in CA and not FL)

The last Beach Blast (the one with the infamous Sharon Sidello mini movie) before they renamed it was in Mississippi. As someone who lived there (granted not the gulf coast area) for several years, if you can call those beaches then you can throw some sand and water down anywhere and call that a beach.

27 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also, I didn’t see it, but apparently Trump announced that all the sports commissioners, and McMahon will be part of an advisory committee to “Reopen the economy”. Fuck all the capitalist without any fucking morals. “Drain the fucking the swamp”, and we got fucking Linda McMahon bribing the governors office of Florida. 

So you have a plan to avoid the Super Great Depression of 2020?  Awesome.  Don't keep us is suspense.  What is your solution?

You've oversimplifying a complex problem.  The world needs an economy and a medical solution.  Falling into another Great Depression will probably kill a lot more people than the virus.

FWIW, the governor of California was talking about beginning to reopen the West Coast economy soon (May or beginning of June, I would guess based on his remarks).

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

The way I consume wrestling, looks and knowing how to carry a tune go pretty far. I’m not saying he’s a superstar, just that I’m a big fan. Earned or unearned, he takes those reactions and makes a final product I genuinely enjoy. I won’t argue taste with you though.

As far as promos, I consume as little WWE talk as possible because it’s agonizing. But Roman’s natural personality and charm offer plenty of still untapped onscreen potential. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

So you have a plan to avoid the Super Great Depression of 2020?  Awesome.  Don't keep us is suspense.  What is your solution?

You've oversimplifying a complex problem.  The world needs an economy and a medical solution.  Falling into another Great Depression will probably kill a lot more people than the virus.

FWIW, the governor of California was talking about beginning to reopen the West Coast economy soon (May or beginning of June, I would guess based on his remarks).

If people in power are showing this much ass over this, then let it all fail.

• Like 3

Considering that Florida doesn't have a state income tax, what income do they get out of the WWE/etc holding empty shows there?

Anyways, I kinda get the sense that the reason for certain things going on right now are about not overwhelming capacities other than medical capacities. How many places similar to Smithfield (pork plant) in SD could close due to mass worker infections before it starts to hurt a lot of uninfected people. It might undersell impact to act like the medical system would have taken the most impact from an infection spike. (But then again, they probably know that 'if we don't do this, we could have food shortages' is either going to cause panic or it won't happen and cause a lot of skepticism towards future warnings)

58 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Falling into another Great Depression will probably kill a lot more people than the virus.

I do believe once this passes, the average lifetime lowers, and not because of coronavirus victims, but because of the anxiety and stress, and the people who needed medical attention and were too afraid to go to a doctor or hospital to get it.  Real life is still happening and those that need help are putting it on hold.  And a lot of them won't be able to.

I've been watching a lot of documentaries on the network lately. Found Billy Graham to come off as a p.o.s, but I did enjoy his matches with Dusty. Felt Heroes of World Class was better than Triumph and Tragedy. Enjoyed the AWA documentary I bought a bootleg DVD of AWA title matches. Overall I felt Michael Hayes comes across as a stooge for Vince everytime he's speaking.

• Like 1