DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I don't want to turn this into a "people are allowed to like different styles of wrestling" argument, but honest question:

How many of the fans who boo Roman are workrate fanatics who boo Roman becuase he doesn't have the move set of Okada, Omega, Sanada, Moxley, Young Bucks, etc.?

His two big moves are the super simplistic jumping punch to the face and a jumping shoulderblock to the chest.

Would people cheer him more if he started doing Buckshot Lariats, Stormbreakers, etc?

Edited by Southside Jim

5 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

So did Florida declare wrestling essential or just WWE? 

I said yesterday that Tony should definitely be investigating this new loophole. If his promotion is officially headquartered in Florida,  he should at least be asking questions, if for no other reason than potential legal action.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

Meltzer going full Bix on Twitter the last few days was inevitable but still highly annoying.

Yeah, I cancelled my Observer subscription this morning about halfway through his "it used to be shades of grey, but now there are good people and bad people" rant on this morning's WOR.

8 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

I don't want to turn this into a "people are allowed to like different styles of wrestling" argument, but honest question:

How many of the fans who boo Roman are workrate fanatics who boo Roman becuase he doesn't have the move set of Okada, Omega, Sanada, Moxley, Young Bucks, etc.?

His two big moves are the super simplistic jumping punch to the face and a jumping shoulderblock to the chest.

Would people cheer him more if he started doing Buckshot Lariats, Stormbreakers, etc?

There's about a 50/50 split on people hating Roman.  I know there are Roman haters that think he "can't work" and sucks because he doesn't have an expansive moveset.  The rest are Vince haters that are going to shit on anything Vince "wants", so they project onto Roman.  There's also a small subset that turned on him hard because Vince pushed him instead of Bryan when Bryan came back from his post Mania 30 head issues.  

If you take Roman out and let him run free, or just be a big badass, people like him.  If he were to ever leave and go somewhere else, people will eventually warm to him.

20 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

Didn’t work for Cena.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

So did Florida declare wrestling essential or just WWE? 

Any national sporting event, including wrestling, so long as it's not in front of a live audience and it's broadcast on TV nationally. That means no regional sports. AEW would certainly fit that category.

29 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

I doubt this is the case. The Punk interview and how they've booked him killed him. Plus he's just a fine/pretty good promo and an uninteresting character for the most part. He looks cool and is good in the ring.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zartan said:

Didn’t work for Cena.

I mildly disagree. When Cena started doing springboard maneuvers and would throw more "Modern" moves into the mix he pacified a big segment of his "smart"/online critics - not because of the moves, but because he showed he "got it" and was in on the work/joke. He expressed his (always there) self-depreciation. Cena is over with the vast majority of the fans, who are casual, young and not-supersmart. I would venture that Cena was the face of modern wrestling and more over - but not as mainstream famous - as Hogan.

- RAF

• Like 1

Roman is solid in the ring - and his best work has been against AJ Styles so far. He is the absolute best as a punching bag. 

The WWE style is to have as few moves as possible. What Roman lacks is the ability to connect with the audience. We haven't really seen that yet. He checks all the boxes but the most important one.

12 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Who did Teijo Khan blow to get booked as a promoted talent in the 80’s? This guy didn’t even have the look to be taken seriously as a potential star.

He was a big, mean looking dude. Perfectly fine as mid card muscle. Not everyone is meant to be a main eventer.

It’s just honestly how you book your face. Look what happened with Adam Page when they booked him too strong at the start as potentially the young face of the company. He didn’t get the Roman reaction at the time, but it was getting there until they pulled his push back. From there he had to get himself over with ring work, and a new character quirk. I think we’ve gotten into it in the past how the WWE likes to book their faces with Heel-ish tendencies. That’s just something they’ve done since Hogan. Which I’ve read was actually Hogan who really started that when he got creative control of his character. Creative has been sort of off, and on with that kind of character. More on in recent years since those guys definitely grew up during that era.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

6 hours ago, nofuture said:

That kid is the perfect age group for that style of wrestling. Now show me a  rugrat doing some Memphis-style stalling or wielding a Mr. Pogo style sickle or milking an entrance like Ric Flair, and I will be impressed.

- RAF

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
fixing the formatting because the COVID-19 quarantine is driving me battier than usual
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Infinit said:

He was a big, mean looking dude. Perfectly fine as mid card muscle. Not everyone is meant to be a main eventer.

Yeah but there were like other guys who were way bigger than him. Heck there were job guys who were probably way bigger than him, and more coordinated who should’ve gotten a look before he did.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yeah but there were like other guys who were way bigger than him. Heck there were job guys who were probably way bigger than him, and more coordinated. who should’ve gotten a look before he did.

This has been a mystery to me as well. If we found out he was gym buddies with a main-eventer or had the same trainer as the booker. He was even more useless than The Warlord.

- RAF

Part of it is they tried so hard to recreate Daniel Bryan getting beat down every week and getting more over. Which doesn't work for the vast majority of babyfaces. The occasional angle where they get beat up, sure, but if the heel always winds up on top, the heel looks like a badass and the face either weak, dumb, or both.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I've been seeing this come up in a lot of mainstream places. Linda was trending earlier because of it.

So the same day the Governor wrote in an executive order to allow them to be considered an essential business it was reported Linda McMahon’s super PAC committed 20 million to the state of Florida. So that’s your potential bribe right there.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Any national sporting event, including wrestling, so long as it's not in front of a live audience and it's broadcast on TV nationally. That means no regional sports. AEW would certainly fit that category.

I hope you mean in the former and not the later

Meltzer was quite specific in saying that this meant it was open season for the WWE, AEW and UFC (though UFC has the slight harder because of being asked to stop running events by ESPN)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So that’s your potential bribe right there.

FTFY

But as anybody who watched Colbert when he was harping about Super PACs remembers, these are just elaborate ways to not call a bribe a bribe, so...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I don't think most fans are even booing Roman, they're booing Vince's boneheaded Fuck You style of booking that Roman unfortunately became the face of. There may be a few who don't like his moves (leaving aside when he pulls out Black Tiger Bombs and the like) but the root issue was never Reigns himself, it was the WWE's inability to adapt to what the fans wanted. There's been a narrative that the audience is in the wrong here, that we were too demanding or didn't appreciate Roman enough but the truth is if they hadn't stubbornly stayed the course for years while the audience became more and more disenchanted with WWE (because why get invested if it will never be payed off?), he would've been in a far better position then and wouldn't be on the verge of getting booed at Wrestlemania again this year. Should Roman have been The Guy for them? Maybe. But he wasn't, and the fact they didn't roll with that is the real issue, not whether he did enough moonsaults.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Thanks 1