DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Seriously. 2012 abd early 2013 (really before that) Roman was THE can't miss kid. Athletic, great look and size, he wasn't the Rock but he had a fair amount of charisms, third generation, obvious appeal to anyone attracted to men while also bring able to come across as a had ass.

I feel like you wrote this with your feet

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So this is going to be a dumb question since I just subscribed.  But when the shows air live do they eventually make their way to the On Demand section?  If so how long does it take to get there?  I was looking for it in the GCW section and didn't see the show listed.

...aaaand GCW Lost in New York is available On Demand this morning.

• Thanks 2

Pretty sneaky sis...
https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/news/press-releases/2020/04-09-2020-215949977

STAMFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: WWE) today announced that it intends to convene and then immediately adjourn, its Annual Meeting of Stockholders due to the rapidly evolving public health concerns relating to the COVID-19 pandemic and governmental actions related thereto, including the State of Connecticut’s Executive Order No. 7H dated March 20, 2020. The Annual Meeting is scheduled to occur at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time on Thursday April 16, 2020. The Annual Meeting will be convened and then immediately adjourned to a time and place that will be announced at the meeting and by press release. The record date will remain February 20, 2020. Stockholders should comply with applicable restrictions and not attend the Annual Meeting on April 16.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 4

That'd be a great combo if the bear didn't no-sell the Liger bomb and the kid didn't no-sell a Destroyer.

Meltzer gives it 5 stars because it was in Japan.  It'd be 6 if it were in the Dome.

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Plus, the recent smoking gun when it came to what was funding XFL.

Well yeah, it's pretty obvious they don't want to face stockholders due to that revelation, the fact that they continue to hold shows despite how bad it makes the company look, and probably a bunch of other things (like facing tough questions about the company's profitability moving forward?).  But to hide behind coronavrus is fucking shameful and disgustingly transparent.  This is the company who took pride in running a show days after 9/11, and now they won't do a conference call because of coronavirus?  Please.

And filing for XFL bankruptcy a few weeks in like this is like the scene in Goodfellas where they burned down the restaurant.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

That's fucking hilarious and shameful for WWE to do this with their investors call. Those calls are always virtual anyway with people calling in. You're fucking telling me that you can't setup an Avaya call or a Zoom meeting or whatever the fuck now when that's what they've done in the past? It feels like Vince is just intentionally trying to tank the company at this point, but in his mind I'm sure he thinks it's such good shit!

• Haha 1

To be fair - that conference call announcement was made April 9 (you can even see in the link name itself)

That was before the XFL died. It was also before Vince freaked out and decided to run live again.

So they were only protecting the terrible financials for the wrestling side

I want this SO FREAKING BAD! I know it will probably run around $150 if it were made, but my goodness is this ever totally cool.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/4a705350-892c-4525-b140-c33e468c3b87

The neat thing is that the number of supporters for this set continues growing at a quick rate. Right now they have until the end of June to hit 5,000 supporters and they're at just about 2,000. The way this works is that once they hit 5,000 supports they need to then hit 10,000 supports and they'll be given extra time to hit that goal. Once they hit 10,000 supports the set officially undergoes expert review by Lego. All in all, if this happens, it probably won't be released until early next year, maybe around WrestleMania, but I'll definitely buy it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Haha, CNN just did a little piece about Florida making wrestling an essential business in Florida.

I've been seeing this come up in a lot of mainstream places. Linda was trending earlier because of it.

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I want this SO FREAKING BAD! I know it will probably run around $150 if it were made, but my goodness is this ever totally cool.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/4a705350-892c-4525-b140-c33e468c3b87

The neat thing is that the number of supporters for this set continues growing at a quick rate. Right now they have until the end of June to hit 5,000 supporters and they're at just about 2,000. The way this works is that once they hit 5,000 supports they need to then hit 10,000 supports and they'll be given extra time to hit that goal. Once they hit 10,000 supports the set officially undergoes expert review by Lego. All in all, if this happens, it probably won't be released until early next year, maybe around WrestleMania, but I'll definitely buy it. 

It does look really neat though taking the F out for obvious reasons hurts my chances of buying it.  I think they'll definitely hit that goal with time to spare so if you get it have fun.  I know a couple people that would be all over this so I'll be sending the link their way.

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It does look really neat though taking the F out for obvious reasons hurts my chances of buying it.  I think they'll definitely hit that goal with time to spare so if you get it have fun.  I know a couple people that would be all over this so I'll be sending the link their way.

I don't know if I'd actually play with it. It probably would wind up being like the Back to the Future Delorean and the Stranger Things set that mainly just sit there as models. There's really only 2 or 3 large Lego sets I want, but I can't justify spending that much on any of them. One is the Ghostbusters firehouse, which you can buy at the Lego Store in Chicago or at Legoland in Schaumburg for $300 or $400, and the $800 Death Star. Maybe if my wife winds up being upper management or CEO of the hospital some day in the future I can justify getting the Death Star.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I don't know if I'd actually play with it. It probably would wind up being like the Back to the Future Delorean and the Stranger Things set that mainly just sit there as models. There's really only 2 or 3 large Lego sets I want, but I can't justify spending that much on any of them. One is the Ghostbusters firehouse, which you can buy at the Lego Store in Chicago or at Legoland in Schaumburg for $300 or $400, and the $800 Death Star. Maybe if my wife winds up being upper management or CEO of the hospital some day in the future I can justify getting the Death Star.

The only modern rings I got recently were the Hasbro-style rings so I can put the original and retro figures in them.  It was about $20 so buying two of them was a no-brainer since the original is at least $75.  But they're just for collections.  I haven't really messed with Legos but the only reason I would consider at this point would be for when we do have a kid (we're gonna try  later this year)  But it's prices like that that make me wonder if I should have been working with Lego this whole time.  The prices for a lot of these sets is astounding you know they're making money hand over fist with these.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I've been seeing this come up in a lot of mainstream places. Linda was trending earlier because of it.

It's also been discussed on the Michael Kay Show, which includes WWE talking head, Peter Rosenberg.

5 hours ago, nofuture said:

Momoe is probably my favorite wrestler of the modern era, such a breath of fresh air when she took over as the ace of All Japan Women and then moved on to AtoZ, etc.

I wish she had stayed in the biz longer, but good for her.  

Does she actually train wrestlers, or is she more of a physical fitness trainer?