DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

8 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Does anybody listen to Ryback’s podcast? 

I saw bits and pieces on Youtube. He seemed pretty well spoken on the Braun/Evil Uno displaced indy worker thing at least. 

After his blind Twitter defense of WWE after Dean Ambrose left, if Seth Rollins ever gets fired from WWE, I always imagined he would be outside the arena, watching glumly as his bag and gear are tossed out of the dressing room onto the street, and standing behind him is the nerd from Robot Chicken:

Nerd: "This is awesome!  Now you're finally free to go full time with AEW and New Japan!  I can't wait to watch Jon Moxley suplex you into a barbed wire spider web, or for you to work 40-minutes night in, night out against Sanada, Okada, and Tanahashi during the G1 Climax!!!"

Seth Rollins: "Shut the fuck up!  You think I WANT to do any of that shit??!!??"

Edited by Southside Jim
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Is this about Roman? Because that dude would get a fat AEW contract, cut loose and look more like a star than he ever did in WWE. He'd never need to think about MLW or Impact.

Also, Roman Reigns working an Osprey-Red style match would be dumb as dirt. Him not working like that is a feature, not a bug. 

I believe the only thing getting in Roman's way is Vince McMahon's booking of him, he has everything you need in a top guy. He can go in the ring. He's got a great personality and can talk. He's a great babyface and probably a way better heel.

• Thanks 2

Honestly, I don't know Roman would want to wrestle outside WWE. But I assume he's got a pretty large pile of money, and has stuck his toe into Hollywood, and we know acting hurts less and gives you more time at home.

I think that's a great talk, home grown talent from developmental like OVW FCW NXT who left the E and how things went from there. 

Haas and Benjamin got a, imho, great run in RoH while Enzo and Cass stumbled around a few indies and kinda fell off the earth far as I've read, which honestly I wasn't trying to keep up with them beyond Enzo and Lil Haku on Twitter. 

Cliff Compton,assuming he was straight from OVW, did several indies, Impact I think with Aces n 8s, while Ted Dibiase Jr left the bizz and then got swept up in the big scandal recently. 

I don't follow all the indies nor do I watch all the shoots or listen to a fraction of the hundreds of podcasts so I could be completely wrong on some of these examples being home grown, forgive that assumption. 

But it's a good discussion I think, home grown superstars and how far they go in the biz after leaving the E.

Like whatever happened to the other half of Deuce and Domino, the one who was Snukas son I think? Where did he go?

Seriously. 2012 abd early 2013 (really before that) Roman was THE can't miss kid. Athletic, great look and size, he wasn't the Rock but he had a fair amount of charisms, third generation, obvious appeal to anyone attracted to men while also bring able to come across as a had ass.

And, look, the Daniel Bryan thing was what it was, but that's five years ago and Roman got over with the crowd in the building whenever they'd just let him kick ass, but instead they just beat him down constantly. It's like, just book him the way you did Austin for fuck sake.

7 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Like whatever happened to the other half of Deuce and Domino, the one who was Snukas son I think? Where did he go?

He didn't catch Undertaker at Wrestlemania 25 and ended up gone from the company shortly after I believe. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

1 minute ago, Six String Orchestra said:

He didn't catch Undertaker at Wrestlemania 25 and ended up gone from the company shortly after I believe. 

All I remember about him is Paul London burying him on an old shoot (w/ Kendrick of course) interview about how inept and careless he was.

"THIS MOTHERFUCKER COMES SCREAMING, CHARGING OUT OF THE CORNER"

It also sounded like he might have had an ego because of who his dad was. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

So I'm dipping my toe into early 90s WCW (Vader/Cactus from Halloween Havoc 1993) and this is some pretty fun shit.

92 WCW is amazing. 93 is often amazing, but the booking is so god damn bad at times. The first half of '94 is amazing.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

92 WCW is amazing. 93 is often amazing, but the booking is so god damn bad at times. The first half of '94 is amazing.

Spring Stampede 1994 is probably the best PPV in WCW history top to bottom. Even the Muta/Austin match which Meltzer shitted on in the Observer is a pretty good. IMO it (along with Flair/Steamboat and Regal/Pillman) was a nice change of pace considering all the insanity (the infamous Chicago Street Fight, Sting/Rude, Dustin/Bunkhouse Buck, & Vader/The Boss) on most of the card. Vader vs. The Boss is one of the hossiest hoss matches of all time. They beat the tar out of each other and Vader ends up bleeding. Dustin bled for the sake of humanity. Sting vs. Rude had a ton of heat (based on what would happen shortly after that, this has two meanings). The Nasty Boys vs. Jack and Maxx Payne is insane by any standard or year you're judging it by. 

Everybody had their working boots on. I wonder why. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm mainly going down a Vader hole on the Network, and then switching to YouTube to watch some of his Japan stuff from the late 90s/early 00s.

Never a bad idea. Vader/Dustin from a Clash is must watch

Thinking about something leads me to a question for hopefully fun discussion:

What was your biggest "I was such a mark" thing?

For me, it was Yellow Dog. In my defense, they didn't run cable down my road until 1994, so my only access to WCW was the official magazine, the other Apter mags, and, if I could manage to stay awake until I think 2 am Saturday night, Worldwide. So I saw a match where somebody (probably Windham?) was wrestling Yellow Dog, and Brian Pillman came out to ringside (my first guess is that it was probably Brad Armstrong under the hood in retrospect, since he was similarly sized, and WCW loved putting Brad under hoods) so I was completely convinced Pillman  wasn't breaking the loser leaves stip, and Windham was just being a jerk claiming Yellow Dog was Flyin' Brian. It was just first time seeing the Midnight Rider/Charlie Brown from Outta Town/Mr. America angle.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Just got around to watching this.

Note "JBL was wonderful to me and was like a big brother" vs. "Edge intentionally poured a drink on me on a plane"

But we all have the full story on every wrestler because Meltzer, right?

• Like 2

I don't want to sound harsh but I think Ron DeSantis should be tossed out of a helicopter screaming in front of his family. THAT would be an "essential service" we can all get behind.

• Like 2

How to be a backstage asshole in Wrestling and get away with it, Step One: Befriend Dave Meltzer. Step Two: Stay friends with him.

Dude probably has a mountain of Cornette dirt he never published.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Thinking about something leads me to a question for hopefully fun discussion:

What was your biggest "I was such a mark" thing?

For me, it was Yellow Dog. In my defense, they didn't run cable down my road until 1994, so my only access to WCW was the official magazine, the other Apter mags, and, if I could manage to stay awake until I think 2 am Saturday night, Worldwide. So I saw a match where somebody (probably Windham?) was wrestling Yellow Dog, and Brian Pillman came out to ringside (my first guess is that it was probably Brad Armstrong under the hood in retrospect, since he was similarly sized, and WCW loved putting Brad under hoods) so I was completely convinced Pillman  wasn't breaking the loser leaves stip, and Windham was just being a jerk claiming Yellow Dog was Flyin' Brian. It was just first time seeing the Midnight Rider/Charlie Brown from Outta Town/Mr. America angle.

It's not exactly the same, but I always remember when I was growing up, there was some obsession with wanting to see masked wrestlers get their mask ripped off. The face would start untying or pulling it and the crowd (and me) and even old school VKM would get amped about it. But thinking back on it, it's funny. Like, Masked Superstar is wrestling Andre and let's say he gets the mask pulled off to a pop. There would be me sitting there seeing Bill Eadie's face, but I would have had no idea who the hell Bill Eadie is.