DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

12 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

What was the name of that tape trader that would send you a bloody phone book with his list of tapes to purchase back in the 90s/early 00's?

I had to read this 3-4 times before I realized the meaning of the word 'bloody' here.  I kept picturing a phonebook covered in blood arriving with a package of tapes and was unclear on the reasoning...

1 hour ago, Southside Jim said:

Regardless of what she says or does, I'll always remember Rousey primarily for being transgender-phobic.

I will also remember her for talking about how much she loved the girls and saying how she helped them before leaving them like "fly little birdies" but not actually really helping to get any one of them over.  She basically steamrolled all the women on Raw for the better part of a year whilst never losing; had Becky get over in spite of her/at her expense (And complained about it to management), then lost the title on a fluky roll-up that she couldn't even keep her shoulder down for and stood around complaining to the ref which didn't really give Becky any sort of rub whatsoever.  The fact that Becky is still over is a testament to her work/her character and much less to do with Ronda.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Did AJPW and WWE have a promotional deal in 1997 that allowed the New Blackjacks to work the Real World Tag League? 

There was definitely some kind of business dealings between WWF and AJPW in 97 and 98. There is even the story about talks regarding doing an interpromotional feud either for Wrestlemania 13 or 14 (which in the end obviously did not work out). Besides the New Blackjacks, also Bart Gunn (RWTL 98) and Vader (May Dome show in 98) were working All Japan while being under WWF contract.

19 hours ago, AxB said:

Anyone else watching GCW: Lost in New York on IWTV right now? It's a Pop-Up video edition. The opening match is MJF vs Spyder Nate Webb, and Wheatus played Webb's entrance music live.

So this is going to be a dumb question since I just subscribed.  But when the shows air live do they eventually make their way to the On Demand section?  If so how long does it take to get there?  I was looking for it in the GCW section and didn't see the show listed.

39 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So this is going to be a dumb question since I just subscribed.  But when the shows air live do they eventually make their way to the On Demand section?  If so how long does it take to get there?  I was looking for it in the GCW section and didn't see the show listed.

Usually stuff they stream for watch along gets added to the archive a day or two later. Sometimes it's immediate. Occasionally the stream was a one-time thing and the show is not added to the archive, but I think that's to do with Fite tv exclusivity contracts. Which have time limits.

I think Lost in NY is going to be on there soon though. Tweet @indiewrestling and ask, they get back to you quickly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, caley said:

I had to read this 3-4 times before I realized the meaning of the word 'bloody' here.  I kept picturing a phonebook covered in blood arriving with a package of tapes and was unclear on the reasoning...

John McAdam's brief flirtation with voodoo circa 1998 was incredibly disturbing.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I saw someone on Twitter (not anyone I know) say a  Florida (county?) government official had said WWE was reclassified as "essential" with no reason given. 

Here's the tweets

And a link to a livestream:

I know this isn't the collapsing of WWE, regardless of all of the recent setbacks. BUT: They are taking a large risk here for the sake of live vs taped shows. It's likely that someone else on the crew will contract the virus. It's not likely, but not impossible that someone could die. If that were to happen, things could get really, really ugly. And would be really tragic to boot. 

I can't imagine even Vince thinking this risk is worth it. This is insane.

5 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I hope more wrestlers realize like Roman did that this is not and will never be worth it.

I have this odd feeling Roman will be guilt tripped back. I mean Vince is a very convincing person to a lot. Roman isn’t immune to it. I can see in the next few weeks the company start to acknowledge what’s happening outside(Now that they got the local governments approval), and maybe even concoct a storyline based in reality for Roman.

18 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I hope more wrestlers realize like Roman did that this is not and will never be worth it.

Roman might be the only full time guy with enough pull to say “no.”