DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Oh my fucking God I hate Andrade's "I miss this move and hit the back elbow spot in every match and none of my opponents ever see it coming" bullshitv so fucking much. It's my least favorite regular spot in WWE right now.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh my fucking God I hate Andrade's "I miss this move and hit the back elbow spot in every match and none of my opponents ever see it coming" bullshitv so fucking much. It's my least favorite regular spot in WWE right now.

I had to think about this one for a moment because my go-to worst regular spot for 15 years was Cena avoiding two haymakers that wrestlers never throw otherwise for his side slam spot.

But nowadays...it’s gotta be the Panama Sunrise

• Like 2

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

I had to think about this one for a moment because my go-to worst regular spot for 15 years was Cena avoiding two haymakers that wrestlers never throw otherwise for his side slam spot.

But nowadays...it’s gotta be the Panama Sunrise

That's fair. I like Cole, but figuring out how to make the Canadian Destroyer dumber is something

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Only problem: Not everyone DOES know, and if you're making this the crux of a match, you kind of have to tell everyone why it's happening.  Again- WWE, at its core, is a kids' show at its heart. Having people look at all this expanded universe product to get the real story they see onscreen is making fans do homework...and that guarantees you'll turn off people watching, because there's NOTHING a kid hates more than having to do homework.

Exactly why it won't work. The story gets told on social media and isn't that interesting to research. Most who saw the tweets yesterday instantly dismissed it as a work. No one cares when in theory Ronda returning shouldn't require any hype.

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

As soon as fans start to question the legitimacy of a spot in your moveset, you should take it out of the rotation for a bit.

If a move continues to get a huge reaction despite a handful of fans complaining it looks bad or fake why stop? One of the most over moves in the history of pro wrestling was something so preposterous that Mick Foley literally joked on air that the only thing it hurts is his pride for having to sell it. If it gets over go with it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Wasn't one of the early UFC shows booked as a big guy vs small guy tournament with quite a disparity in weight classes?

Yes, there was a tape called "David vs. Goliath" that I rented as a kid and I remember one fight a big dude got his nose broken by a little guy, I forget who the fighters were. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't think it's worse than the 619.  I have always hated the 619 and it's elaborate dumb convenient setups.  It looks ridiculous.  I admit it's way over,  I just hate it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

In fairness, when I get to spar with guys at the gym, that quick low kick is a bitch to pick up in a split second. By the time you start to react, you're either kicked or your opponent is moving to something else, like a spinning backfist or elbow. The announcers do a piss poor job of explaining why Andrade throws that kick, though. You throw that to get your opponent's body moving to deflect/avoid that kick, leaving you out of position to defend that elbow, which can be a fight ender in a shoot. Shit hurts. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yes, there was a tape called "David vs. Goliath" that I rented as a kid and I remember one fight a big dude got his nose broken by a little guy, I forget who the fighters were. 

That was when UFC was still a one night tournament format, so it had to be single digits. I'm fairly sure that was the tournament Don Frye won... UFC 8 maybe?

2 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I'm watching some IWA-MS and decided to Wiki  Nick Mondo,  it says he is currently a director with AEW.  Is this true? I've never heard of him being with AEW and he would be such a weird choice as someone to work for them. 

Yeah that popped up a few months back that Mondo was a producer for AEW. I think it was someone like Sammy Guevara that mentioned it in an interview. 

Yeah, Mondo is really talented. There was an article about his post-wrestling career posted here awhile back. 

I think part of the wrestling logic to why Jericho's finisher is a finisher is, funny enough considering our conversation, because he trained with MMA guys to "perfect" it. 

As far as the UFC thing I remember Keith Hackney breaking his fist on Emmanuel Yarbrough's head (even though Emmanuel was coming in with "Soo-moo" and "Joo-doo" hahaha) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

As far as the UFC thing I remember Keith Hackney breaking his fist on Emmanuel Yarbrough's head (even though Emmanuel was coming in with "Soo-moo" and "Joo-doo" hahaha) 

Fucking yeeeeeesss... I used to rent the shit out of those early UFC’s from my local video store. That show, and the 2nd Dan Severn Show were my absolute favorite. III especially with the debut of Kimo, and his celebration for injuring Gracie in a loss, and stoping his streak of UFC tournament wins. Absolutely ridiculous show, with a ridiculous conclusion. I actually thought the Canuck that made it to the finals might’ve had a chance against Gracie honestly.

The rules were fucking kooky on those shows. I mean it seems simple. Matches end on ref stoppage, or submission. But they didn’t count for a lot of factors when you don’t have rounds, or judges at ringside. This becomes even more obvious when after Shamrock, and Severn they decide to pick up more skilled grapplers that took it more slow, and methodical. It’s like the creators just got ideas from watching Bloodsport, and nothing else. I guess if UWFi, and Pancrase footage was readily available they’d have an idea on more coherent rules, but this is what we got. It was still a fun freak show. Also a lot more entertaining than Toughman.

Just to bring this back to wrestling. I’ve always personally speculated that Paul Varelans Vs. Marco Ruas was the key inspiration for Bret Vs. Diesel III because of the little guy breaking down the big guy by doing damage to the leg psychologically. It also helps my theory because UFC 7 takes place prior to that Survivor Series.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

Ah, yes, early UFC. I'm okay with this happening as the guy getting dick-punched turned out to be a serial rapist and what-not. Same guy from above is punching him.
Heres+one+of+my+favorite+moments+keith+h

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Ah, yes, early UFC. I'm okay with this happening as the guy getting dick-punched turned out to be a serial rapist and what-not. Same guy from above is punching him.
Heres+one+of+my+favorite+moments+keith+h

But the implementation of training law enforcement around the world in the art of Joe Son Do has undoubtedly saved countless lives so you have to take the good with the bad I guess. 

• Haha 1

Joe Son Do ?

Man I loved that Ruas match. Varelans was such a goof and a dummy, and watching Marco wreck his leg was a treasure. And then I found out that Alexander Otsuka actually beat him and couldn't fucking believe it. Matter of fact I don't think I've ever actually seen that, here it is: 

Anyone else watching GCW: Lost in New York on IWTV right now? It's a Pop-Up video edition. The opening match is MJF vs Spyder Nate Webb, and Wheatus played Webb's entrance music live.

• Like 2